Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will this launch work?
Yes ! Great move by TATA 59 76.62%
No ! Xeta will meet the fate of Palio 1.2 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2006, 12:12   #46
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
anyone test drove the indica xeta? the indica GLS with power steering and ac is same as alto Lxi in price. so i would like to know if anyone test drove it.
Old 30th January 2006, 11:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

No test drive as yet here.. i am itching to get my hands on it too..
Old 30th January 2006, 12:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
No test drive as yet here.. i am itching to get my hands on it too..
It will be nothing but disaster. The older V2 petrol was already sluggish and now with detuning it seems hard to digest it will be able to beat the wonderful Turbo(Petrols New Role Model ) Indians dont like Petrol cars for economy. Thats why Tata should know. Thats one reason why the Safari EXi never sold.
Old 30th January 2006, 13:34   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
The older V2 petrol was already sluggish
Now I wonder how you say that - looking at your profile, you can't legally drive.

Edit: I have nothing against you personally but I have lots against 'derived' opinions or underage / illegal driving.

Last edited by hrag : 30th January 2006 at 13:45.
Old 30th January 2006, 13:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Now I wonder how you say that - looking at your profile, you can't legally drive.
Buddy i have gone for a testdrive of the Indicas( i wasnot in the drivers seat. BRO Drove it and his inputs) and also according to Mags i am saying its sluggish. I would prefer the Petrol any day.
Old 30th January 2006, 15:15   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Buddy i have gone for a testdrive of the Indicas and also according to Mags i am saying its sluggish.
BUSA I really do not know about your derived opinions. However having driven a Petrol Indica I would not say they are sluggish. They may not set the termac on fire... and that's understandable with its one ton weight. But sluggish it definitely was/is not.
Old 30th January 2006, 15:29   #52
Team-BHP Support

It depends on what you are used to driving. Fed on a diet of esteem etc., you will find both palio 1.2 and indica petrol sluggish(Indica has slightly better 0-100 and in gear acceleration times), but dare call a palio 1.2 sluggish and be ready to be lynched.
The problem with tata petrols in not the power but the way its deliverd on road. Indigo petrol has 85bhp but it seems to be more sluggish than a rocam 1.3 in real world traffic.
I hope they do a better job with the 100bhp engine(Rumoured to be here sooner than the LWB) and actually deliver the power to the road
Old 30th January 2006, 17:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope they do a better job with the 100bhp engine(Rumoured to be here sooner than the LWB) and actually deliver the power to the road
Its the same engine with 16valves, boosting the power to 100BHP. I just hope they get the gearing light.

P.S My comarision was with the TURbO Diesel Indica which is superb.
Old 30th January 2006, 19:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
The problem with tata petrols in not the power but the way its deliverd on road. Indigo petrol has 85bhp but it seems to be more sluggish than a rocam 1.3 in real world traffic.
True .. also 1st and 2nd gear in my car was pretty disappointing and this is not in comparison to the likes of the Esteem. But 3rd gear was pretty good. From around 40kmph in 3rd it flies ! (Don't have a tacho, so not sure about the RPM). Probably the torque curve dips a lot in the lower RPMs ?
Old 31st January 2006, 16:47   #55
BHPian

peak torque is somewhere near 3k shuvc, and I agree in 3rd it does indeed seem very quick....as for Busa's comment about a petrol Indica being sluggish....yeah its sluggish when you compare it with a OHC or a Baleno or even an Esteem but for its weight it does have very good in gear acceleration.
Even a 13 sec 0-100 I believe which not many other small cars can match.
Old 6th February 2006, 15:55   #56
BHPian

Test drove Indica XETA this weekend, here is my take on it.
Exteriors : Absolutely no change except the "XETA" badging at the rear and the introduction of 3 metalic colors(greenish, redish and silverish). And these colors look really good on the car.

Interiors: Xeta has got Beige interiors as standrad in all models. Though quality wise it is not great but just the color change gives a completly new look to interiors. Switch's quality has improved a bit. Coin tray has got better spring. A/C, Fan switches also seemed a bit more solid. Overall Beige interiors really put the interiors of this car well above the competition.

Power Plant & Drive:While I was standing near the car, I observed the engine noise, which I thought was a little more than swifts/getzs of the world. Then the guy moved the car a bit ahead, outside the showroom, for me to drive. I came walking and straightaway opened the door and sat in the driver's seat. I was about to start the car and the guy in the next seat told me that it is already on, I said, wth, though I'm used to driving diesel v2, I had not expected this. I just could not sense that the car is on. I put it in First and released the clutch slowly and it moved without any help from accelerator. Then I slotted it in 2'nd and third gear and shifts felt much better than my 1 year old v2(d). Gears felt like more going in slots rather than the rubbery feel of mine. Though the shift was bit on the harder side but I think that smoothens with usage. Car pulled very well in each gear. Though I did not find it scorching as far as the performance is concerned but it was more than suffiecient for city and highway driving. The AC effect was very minimal on performance, because in diesel version it is huge.

Price: Price really delivers a final punch and renders this product a real VFM car. At 3.54L on road in Mumbai, You get ample space, solid build, beige interiors, safety and Acceptable FE,performance and driving pleasure. I seriously think, even V2(diesel) has got competition from xeta because xeta is around 60,000 cheaper than non turbo indica with more features(beige int., spoiler). For Other cars in similar segment, IMHO, its time to do something unusual else xeta is gonna eat them pretty fast.
Old 6th February 2006, 16:46   #57
BHPian

It's quiet good VFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
peak torque is somewhere near 3k shuvc, and I agree in 3rd it does indeed seem very quick....as for Busa's comment about a petrol Indica being sluggish....yeah its sluggish when you compare it with a OHC or a Baleno or even an Esteem but for its weight it does have very good in gear acceleration.
Even a 13 sec 0-100 I believe which not many other small cars can match.
I had never been a great fan of the Tata's but can't help but say, they score well on the VFM part. The Xeta is just another bullseye on the VFM front. Am not sure about the performance but have heard it was very decent and that should be good enough to drive people away from the Wagon R/Alto/Santro etc. Am sure it will be a hit.
Old 7th February 2006, 15:08   #58
BHPian

I was in Pandit Auto this morning for my car service....I saw 2 new Xetas rushing out for a drive...prolly PDI check ....Both had multi-spoke alloys and looked really neat (top end model has alloys as std ?)
Old 7th February 2006, 17:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

From what Rajdoll's review says, Its gonna be tough-time for Palios,WagonR,Zen ,Santro.
Old 7th February 2006, 18:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

I think the Xeta is a brilliant marketing move by TATA.

if you look at the ads, they claim 14 KPL USTC. that would realistically work out to 11 kpl in city. Now, my 3 year old lsi gives 10.5 kpl with AC in Delhi...so whats the big deal with the Xeta? (my 3 month old DLX Turbo gives 17 with AC-but that is a different story!)

but the good thing for Tata is that people are falling for this ad gimmick and finally buying a car that is actually better than the santrs and wagon Rs....

Cheers

Himanshu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks