Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 17:00   #46
BHPian

Re: The Autocar Young Driver 2011 Competition

Ok guys this is how my skill test went at RNS motors, Yeshwantpur.

There were two parts:
1. Simulator test.
2. Practical driving test.

I had learned my driving from this school itself. The lady sitting at the counter immediately recognized me. I have no idea if that helps my result or not!

1. Simulator test - The invigilator told me that as I've learnt driving here, there's no need of practice and its better I start off with the test. I nodded and the test began. I've to admit. It did not go that well as i had expected. I stalled twice. Both at signals. But I think I drove pretty well after that and luckily nobody tried committing suicide in-front of my car lol. In the end he asked me to park by the roadside, I did it quite close to the kerb. He said ok and moved the screen to an ariel view. But to my horror, the car was a not exactly near the kerb, it was pretty far!! Then I pulled the handbrake assuming it was tight, like in real cars. But it was loose, and it made a Krrrrrrrrrr! sound and the invigilator scolded me for that :( Agree with everyone else here that the simulator sucks!

My rating - 4/10 :(

2. Practical test - The car: Swift Dezire. First, I had to move out of the RNS parking lot > make a U turn > head straight into yeshwantpur railway station parking lot > make a U turn > head towards RNS parking lot > make a U turn > go straight > parallel park (between cones) > move out of the car park > reverse park into the place where the dezire was parked first. Everything went perfectly and I was pretty happy with the practical test.

My rating - 9/10

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps someone!
vaibzi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 18:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

@vaibzi - Thanks for sharing your experience. Tomorrow I am going to the test in Coimbatore. Hope it will turn out good. Will share my experience tomorrow.
Old 5th May 2011, 21:40   #48
BHPian

Hi undead, you're welcome! Best of luck for tomorrow
Old 6th May 2011, 15:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Took my Test and here is my review.

1. Simulator is funny, but not that tough or frustrating. May be its bought recently so that they are working fine.
2. Tried to put on the belt on the simulator , but didnt stretch it full , guess used rarely. The mds guy told me to ignore it.
3. Gave a 2 min Test drive to get used it .
4. Gear box was very light , need to press the accelerator atleast 40% down to get moving , but once moving things go easy.
5. One man crossed the road but luckily stopped the car in time.
6. 1 mistake i did was , when the mds guy asked me to take a right turn , i used the indicator and turned properly , but i was driving on the right side of the road thinking that it was a one way traffic. Then moved to left after seeing a vehicle coming on the opposite side.
7. Overspeed alert when nearing a speed breaker when i was cruising at 15kmph .
8. Stalled 2 times.

Overall view - Nothing to do with practical driving on road.

On Road Test
1. I was occupied by a lady from the mds. Asked me to drive the alto and man it was like horrible. Clutch were so hard, gearshift was notchy. Got used to the smooth gearshift and power of Getz crdi, this was worse than a tata ace.
2. I stalled it twice.
3. I was asked to parallel park , i did it with ease.
4. When she asked me to move to the left lane, i switched on the indicator and started moving even though there was a two wheeler behind , i expected that the 2 wheeler will adjust on seeing indicator. And the 2 wheeler did adjust , but the lady thought i was about to hit him and correct the steering wheel . NEVER before , a lady teaching me how to drive after 10 yrs of experience.
5. They asked me about what i do everyday to maintain the car. It was funny, as if we are having a 1950 ambassador and had to check the radiator , oil etc. I told her something and also explained that cars in this generation are in need of less maintenance.

Overall view - This is only for people learning to drive. These MDS people try to follow book rules and not much common driving sense.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:40   #50
BHPian

@ Vaibzi and Undead - Thanks for sharing your experiences. Does really help. Let's see what I can do this weekend
Old 6th May 2011, 17:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, I am a bit late on the update but I am done with my "Simulator Test". As the others have already posted, the Simulator is just an Emulator, nothing close to the real world stuff!! I have been told that if I am through, I would get a mail or a call.

One thing that has puzzled me and couple other Bhpians from Bangalore who have taken the Simulator test from Mandovi is that we never had a "Real Car Test" while others have had it from other dealers in Bangalore. Can anybody "Decode" this puzzle please??
Old 6th May 2011, 20:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hi Guys, I am a bit late on the update but I am done with my "Simulator Test". As the others have already posted, the Simulator is just an Emulator, nothing close to the real world stuff!! I have been told that if I am through, I would get a mail or a call.

One thing that has puzzled me and couple other Bhpians from Bangalore who have taken the Simulator test from Mandovi is that we never had a "Real Car Test" while others have had it from other dealers in Bangalore. Can anybody "Decode" this puzzle please??
Let me share what i have seen.First, I am not from Bangalore. When i went to the test ,Separate sheets were used to give scores for simulator and on-road test. But i was asked to sign only in the simulator form.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:15   #53
BHPian

I thought the on road test was supposed to be held for the finalists in New Delhi. Seems to be some ambiguity here.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:09   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Let me share what i have seen.First, I am not from Bangalore. When i went to the test ,Separate sheets were used to give scores for simulator and on-road test. But i was asked to sign only in the simulator form.
Even I was asked to sign only on the Simulator form.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:35   #55
BHPian

This is mine -
Total Score : 100 %
Total Time : 9 : 15
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Any of you guys made it to the final stage?
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Any of you guys made it to the final stage?
I don't think the results are out yet.
Old 25th May 2011, 13:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Results are out on the youngdriver website. I didnt go through. Any t-bhp guys got through?
Old 25th May 2011, 22:00   #59
BHPian

Me neither. After the simulator test, I knew my result then and there!
Old 27th May 2011, 11:56   #60
BHPian

Phase 2 was just a farce. Insufficient criteria to select 30 people out of however many thousand were selected in phase 2 and inconsistent/non-existent test standard in phase 2.

Shameful from Autocar and Maruti.

Most Viewed