Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:24   #31

Re: Conmen in 2nd hand car sales

Well having been living outside of India for almost half a decade, to me some of the sale ads in classified also looks like Con. Yezdi Roadking for Rs. 85000, RD 350s for 150Ks, Vespas and Lambis for 20K jeeps of all sizes of junk for 400K and onwards... 2003 Honda CRV cheaper than mid 90s MM540s Oh god give me a break!

Ron
A Jeep lover of the ancient times!
Ronnie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 02:26   #32
BHPian

Must Thank all of you guys, this is another big Nigerian fraud.
Mods, can you post this thread on the main webpage for a while please?
Old 27th November 2011, 12:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

I thought such con sales were limited to luxury cars alone, but it is not so. Can you imagine a car used in adverts like this? Chevrolet Spark LPG! Yes, a surprising choice possibly to fool people looking for lower segment cars too, as probably this number of people is higher than people looking for luxury cars.

An example reply to a 2009 Spark LPG LS for 1,65,000, advertisement still live on quikrads:

The Ad:

2009 chevrolet spark, ls lpg
Mumbai

Price: Rs 165,000.00 - negotiable

Seller Type: Individual

Condition: Used

Year of Make: 2009

Chevrolet Spark, 1000 CC, LS, LPG/ Petrol, Metallic Blazing Red
(Reddish Maroon), 2009 December Model, 2010 Registration, factory
fitted and RTA approved LPG Kit, , genuine 38000 kms, service
history available, hyderabad showroom ,original paint, beige color
interior, original tyres, chilling A/C, Power Steering, Front
power windows,Body Colored Bumpers, Digital RPM Meter, Digital
Fuel and Temperature Meters, costly Pioneer MP3 and USB player,
brand new condition.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

The reply:

Hello,

The car is in the best condition, has no technical damage, full service history,life time tax paid,comprehesive insurance, my car have India documents and registration. I worked in India for and I've purchased the car to use it there. My company wanted me back home, so currently I'm in England (United Kingdom).
The car it's now located in ENGLAND - United Kingdom, Berkshire.
I'm trying to sell it at this price because I don`t use it anymore , it`s a pity to keep such a car and not to use it. UK registration tax is too high ,i can not afford to pay it and i need money urgently to pay my House Bank Credit Debts. I tried to sell the car in United Kingdom, but nobody want`s to buy it because of the high registration tax .
I list my car on India websites so i can sell it faster. The price is correct and the car can be transported to any location. My car is already at one Transport company from UK. I paid them to take care for my car sale protection. I can deliver the car to any location,but if is posible for you to come here to have an personal meeting it will be better .
Please write me back to discuss only if you are interested! Then we can continue the discussion about the car by phone ,if you want .

Regards

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Beware buyers!
Old 8th August 2013, 18:08   #34
BHPian

Want a 2011 Polo highline TDi registered in Maharashtra(Kolhapur) currently in Bihar (Patna) belonging to a US citizen who went through a divorce?
To add to the diversity, the so called ebay agent account is in orissa.
All mails that I received below originated from AT&T servers in the US.

http://pune.quikr.com/2011-Volkswage...AdIdZ129117937

Here is the conversation (Name removed...use any name of your choice):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I'm xxxxxx , and I am glad to see so much interest in my car. Its in really good shape, has only 34000 kms,the price is 120000 rupees,I never had any problems with it, no scratches nor dents, and its free of any accidents.I have the title, in my hand, clear, free of any liens or loans on it. At first I tried to sell it at its Blue Book value, but I changed up my mind and reduced the price drastically I got divorced recently from my indian husband, that is how I got the car and I am trying to sell it because my personal vehicle is enough, I don't need a second one.I want to use ebay to help us make the deal.I just need your full name and address to open a deal with ebay! In case of anything, just e-mail me.

Regards
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<My reply>

Hi xxxxxx,

Sorry to hear of your divorce.

Is there any way I can have a look at the car before committing anything? I work from home so any time that suits you is convenient for me.

Thanks,
Praful.

Reply #2

Hi,
As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced I lived for a short period in India,Patna,with my ex husband, and now I moved back to USA.I want to sell the car cause it will cost me a fortune to ship it in USA so I dont need it! The car is already at the shipping company in Patna, sealed and ready for the shipping. My presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with eBay. The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 3 days.All the documents need for registration will be shipped along with the car.The payment will be sent to ebay by secured payment method such as bank and once they have your payment they will notify me to start the shipping.From the day you receive the car You will have 5 days to try out prior to making the purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense.If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask eBay to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. eBay will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the information that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from eBay will all the transaction information please reply with your full name, address and phone # and they will contact you right away.

Regards

<My reply #2>
Oh ok.

Here are my details...

Full Name: Praful Asher
Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone # : +91 xxxxxxxxxx

It'll be great if you can ask eBay to send me a mail with all the info needed.

Thanks,
Praful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Reply#3>

Hi,
Thanks for the info , I ll forward your info to ebay and they will soon email you the invoice with more info and payment instructions.Ebay will send you the invoice within 24 hours or so, please check your email and please check all folders cause the invoice contains html sometimes can go into the bulk/spam folder if its not in the inbox.Let me know you`ll hear from them.
Regards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mail from Quikr Payment Department <quikr-financial@execs.com>

Quikr eBay Certified Program Invoice #0221064359
Quantity: 1

Item: 2011 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Diesel

Price: RS 120000
Shipping & handling: RS 0.00
Required Deposit: RS 120000
Remaining Balance: RS 0.00
Total: RS 120000

Transaction details:

CaseID#22437Y4D5684V
Sale Date: 08/06/2013 ( Month/Day/Year )
Item title: 2011 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Diesel
Quantity: 1
Condition Used: Great Condition, Clear Title
Shipping fees: RS 0.00
Total: RS 120000

Payment must be sent in 5 working days and in indian rupees or american dollars.

Shipping fees are included in the price!

Seller details:
Name: xxxxxx xxxxxxx
Address: 6520 Platt Ave.
City: West Hills
State: CA
Zip: 91307

eBay and Quikr member: xxxxxx xxxxxxx , as the Seller, initiated a new transaction through eBay Motors program and registered you, Praful Asher , as the Buyer. We verified all the details of this transaction and we concluded that they are accurate and the transaction is approved. Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely. Your eBay Motors purchase is protected for up to $50,000.00 or the vehicle price,
whichever is lower.

Buyer details:
Name: Praful Asher
Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-------------------------------
......SOME MORE CRAP.......
-------------------------------

HERE IS THE AGENT INFORMATION THAT YOU NEED TO SUBMIT THE PAYMENT !

Bank info:State Bank Of India
Branch: Ananda Bazar
eBay agent account name: Sanjoy Kumar Reang
LalsangzualaAccount number: 33098781348
IFSC CODE: SBIN0016196

You can send us the payment by bank transfer, from your bank account into our account or by deposit, with cash, from any bank office into our account.

Once the payment is done, fax us the scan of the receipt to our Central Fax # +13162850024
Or reply to our email address: quikr-financial@execs.com with the copy of the payment receipt from your bank.

Sincerely,
eBay Motors Financial Department in collaboration with Quikr Payments Department
eBay Certified Provided ProgramCopyright © 2013 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.
2065 Hamilton Avenue San Jose, California 95125
prafulasher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 06:00   #35
BHPian

Hello,

My name is Alexander Hoger, I am the owner of the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Highline 2.0 TDI (Plate No.: HR 26 BS 8984, Indian specs) on which you've recently shown interest.
If you're interested in making this purchase, the car can be yours for 4,90,000 INR. The car was serviced on time, never involved in any kind of accidents, original paint. It comes with full service history.
I'm a British diplomat and I worked for the UK Embassy, in India the last 5 years. Recently, due to some health problems, I have been relocated back home, in Liverpool, UK. I took the car with me in order to use it here, because it was a right-hand-drive, but I can't register the car in UK, since the registration costs here are huge (being a Non-Euro car).
Since I didn't knew about it until now, and the car is still registered in India, I have decided to sell it back here.

I do not know the car market very well, but I suppose the price I am asking is a fair one, considering my situation.

Here are some of the car specs:

Year: 2012
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Jetta Highline
Kilometers: 22000
Engine: 2.0L 4Cyl Diesel
Transmission: Manual
Horsepower: 138Hp
Drive Type: FWD
Exterior Color: Metallic Grey
Interior Color: White
Registration No: HR 26 BS 8984

You won't be disappointed. Please reply me if you need more info about the car.
Thanks you in advance and best regards.

PS: Please check the attachments to see more pics of the car.

My reply - Hi

I am interested in your car but the issue is I am out of town for 2
weeks. Can you hold it for that much time ? I am currently in offshore
so there is no mobile connectivity but I am reachable by emails. I
would be very grateful if you could tell me the place from where you
got the car serviced and details of insurance ?

Where is this car right now ? At dealers location or some personal
space of yours ?

I like the pics and specs. Everything looks neat and clean.

I am ready to pay if everything works out ok.

Regards

His new email - Thank you for your reply,
As informed, the car is here in UK. Because of my current health situation, I am unable to travel to India anytime soon or handle this sale by myself. For this reason, I have decided to hire a third service company to deliver the car to India and take care of the sale. The solution is provided by eBay Motors, the most well-known payment service in the world, a service which I'm sure you've heard. This will allow us to complete the deal safely and fast.

Given the fact that it's almost impossible for me to sell the car here, I am willing to support the delivery fees from UK to India, so you do not have to pay anything extra when the car will be returned to India, just the price we agreed.

Please let me explain you the process of this sale and afterwards you can decide if you want to go with it or not.

As we speak the car is already in eBay custody along with all its documents. The eBay staff will have a letter of attorney (power of attorney) in order to legally represent me in the transfer of all legal papers of the car.
The car will be delivered directly to your requested address as soon as eBay will have the payment confirmation from your part.
Once you get the car, you will have 10 days to inspect it and the option to accept or reject the car.
eBay will keep your payment into a protection account until you get the car and will release it to me after inspection period is over and you accept the car. If it doesn't match my description and decide not to accept it, eBay will refund your payment in max.24h.
In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.

If you want to buy this car and have the money available I can forward your email to eBay so they can contact you and explain you the delivery and payment procedure.
Regards!
Alexander Hoger

Mine - - Yes you can forward me their email address. Is the car listed on ebay
website ? Can you provide me the link ?
Old 25th September 2015, 09:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Here is the response I received to a Fortuner ad on OLX:

Emma Stevens <bby930@gmail.com>
Aug 23

to me

Hi,

thank you for your interest in my 2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 4x4 MT Grey, 48,400 km, Full Service History. All documents in original folders. 2 key fobs. The car is in perfect condition, NO accidents, NO damage,NO scratches or dents.

I am selling it at Rs. 7,00,000 because I've just finished the divorce and I am very glad that I took it, because it was my ex husbands most precious thing.
He cheated on me although we have 2 kids together, anyway i don't wish to bore you with my life's story...The reg. documents are in my name now.
I don't ask too much for it because I just want to get rid of it ASAP, just want to erase a bad memory and I should get rid of it, plus I don't have a license and I'm not interested in these kind of machines.

The car is in Delhi because i live here. As you can see from the pictures my car is in perfect condition.
From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using Amazon Payments services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the car and only if you agree to buy it).
I will pay for transport and handling (my ex buyer did not receive his loan but he already paid for transportation) so there won't be any additional costs for you.

If you are interested in buying it please get back to me asap.

Kind regards

The nigerian scamsters need to get more creative!!
This doesnt cut it.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 10:59   #37
BHPian

Oflate there has been sweet deals in OLX. Like an 2009 Astar zxi for 1.8 Lakhs. When you ring the number, they will not answer the call. The next day I got a call from another car website asking for what my requirement is. I told I need the same car you listed. No response yet from them.
Old 25th September 2015, 12:35   #38
BHPian

It would be fun to bait them on the lines of the below.

http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm
thedragula is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 13:08   #39
AWD
BHPian

Taking cues from this, I think we need a thread on which con 2nd dealers are listed. There are plenty of them around who take innocent customers on a ride, they conceal facts of the vehicles, show dummy owners, pass off accidental as clean, speedo meters are tampered & so on.

There are numerous local fraud 2nd hand car dealers who should be listed so that we can steer clear of such looters.
Old 26th September 2015, 19:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Although not conmen, used car dealers have found other ways to get in touch with a prospective buyer as well.

First they list a car in OLX or Quikr with a very attractive price, then if you call them they wouldn't answer. Within the next hour you get a call from another number asking if you are looking out for a used car. And the car listed is just a bait since that's never available.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 12:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Hello,

My name is Alexander Hoger, I am the owner of the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Highline 2.0 TDI (Plate No.: HR 26 BS 8984, Indian specs) on which you've recently shown interest.
If you're interested in making this purchase, the car can be yours for 4,90,000 INR. The car was serviced on time, never involved in any kind of accidents, original paint. It comes with full service history.
I'm a British diplomat and I worked for the UK Embassy, in India the last 5 years. Recently, due to some health problems, I have been relocated back home, in Liverpool, UK. I took the car with me in order to use it here, because it was a right-hand-drive, but I can't register the car in UK, since the registration costs here are huge (being a Non-Euro car).
Since I didn't knew about it until now, and the car is still registered in India, I have decided to sell it back here.

I do not know the car market very well, but I suppose the price I am asking is a fair one, considering my situation.

Here are some of the car specs:

Year: 2012
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Jetta Highline
Kilometers: 22000
Engine: 2.0L 4Cyl Diesel
Transmission: Manual
Horsepower: 138Hp
Drive Type: FWD
Exterior Color: Metallic Grey
Interior Color: White
Registration No: HR 26 BS 8984

You won't be disappointed. Please reply me if you need more info about the car.
Thanks you in advance and best regards.

PS: Please check the attachments to see more pics of the car.

My reply - Hi

I am interested in your car but the issue is I am out of town for 2
weeks. Can you hold it for that much time ? I am currently in offshore
so there is no mobile connectivity but I am reachable by emails. I
would be very grateful if you could tell me the place from where you
got the car serviced and details of insurance ?

Where is this car right now ? At dealers location or some personal
space of yours ?

I like the pics and specs. Everything looks neat and clean.

I am ready to pay if everything works out ok.

Regards

His new email - Thank you for your reply,
As informed, the car is here in UK. Because of my current health situation, I am unable to travel to India anytime soon or handle this sale by myself. For this reason, I have decided to hire a third service company to deliver the car to India and take care of the sale. The solution is provided by eBay Motors, the most well-known payment service in the world, a service which I'm sure you've heard. This will allow us to complete the deal safely and fast.

Given the fact that it's almost impossible for me to sell the car here, I am willing to support the delivery fees from UK to India, so you do not have to pay anything extra when the car will be returned to India, just the price we agreed.

Please let me explain you the process of this sale and afterwards you can decide if you want to go with it or not.

As we speak the car is already in eBay custody along with all its documents. The eBay staff will have a letter of attorney (power of attorney) in order to legally represent me in the transfer of all legal papers of the car.
The car will be delivered directly to your requested address as soon as eBay will have the payment confirmation from your part.
Once you get the car, you will have 10 days to inspect it and the option to accept or reject the car.
eBay will keep your payment into a protection account until you get the car and will release it to me after inspection period is over and you accept the car. If it doesn't match my description and decide not to accept it, eBay will refund your payment in max.24h.
In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.

If you want to buy this car and have the money available I can forward your email to eBay so they can contact you and explain you the delivery and payment procedure.
Regards!
Alexander Hoger

Mine - - Yes you can forward me their email address. Is the car listed on ebay
website ? Can you provide me the link ?
Hello,
Curious to know where you able fix the deal? indeed i am in search of pre-owned car and came across the same chap selling a car for subsidized price. Was not sure if it was authentic.
Any help here would be deeply appreciated.

thanks,
Sumesh
Old 12th November 2015, 12:30   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumesD78 View Post
Hello,
Curious to know where you able fix the deal? indeed i am in search of pre-owned car and came across the same chap selling a car for subsidized price. Was not sure if it was authentic.

thanks,
Sumesh
Sumesh, don't even think of buying such cars! These are scamsters trying to con gullible people.
a*ed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 12:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumesD78 View Post
Hello,

thanks,
Sumesh
Sumesh, run away from such "deals". Run, don't walk. This is a very old scam which has been going on in the US on craigslist for quite some time and is not limited to cars.

Thumb rule is that if it looks too good to be true, then it usually is too good to be true.

No one will sell a car with resale value of 10+ lakhs for 5 lakhs. No one.

Here are some guidelines that craigslist provides for their site but valid for all classified sites like OLX, Quickr etc.

•Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
•Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
•Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
•Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
•Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
•Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
•Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
•Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
•Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.

Much more detail in this link below.
Classified Scams

Last edited by Asifgrkhan : 12th November 2015 at 12:52. Reason: Adding craigslist url
Asifgrkhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 11:50   #44
BHPian

Buying an imported car through an agent

I saw an online ad for an almost new Audi Q3 being sold for less than 10 lakhs - reason quoted was that the owner planned to relocate on a short notice. Since the offer was attractive, I contacted the seller. He emailed me back saying that he has relocated to UK and has left the car with his agent for disposal. I spoke to the seller over phone (his UK number) and he gave me his agent's Indian mobile number. The seller added that he imported the car from UK, but he is selling it because he moved back to UK.

When I spoke to the agent, she is claiming that the car is in customs warehouse (Delhi) and she wants me to pay 15% of the car's price as a deposit to start the process. According to her, she will clear the customs, re-register the car in my name and bring it to my city using this deposit. I got to pay the balance while she hands over the car to me. I asked her about the trustworthiness of this deal and she replied back that this is the normal process being followed on her end. It looks like I cannot take a look at the car or its papers unless the customs clearance is completed.

I am just wondering if you guys have any experience dealing with such agents and the genuineness of the deal. I am getting a feeling that this is a scam but just wanted to double check as the deal is good. As I am located 2500 km from Delhi, it is not easy to meet the agent in person either.

Looking forward to some suggestions.
Old 28th May 2016, 11:59   #45
BHPian

One word suggestion : Don't lose a single penny on these kind of allegedly fraudulent deals.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2016 at 13:23. Reason: Typos
adi_gt is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed