Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 20:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: March 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

The Vento is killing the city....mauling it infact. Super stuff.

The Figo is pretty steady at around 9000 !

The i10 and i20 are doing absolutely superbly for Hyundai.
Old 1st April 2011, 20:56   #17
MAS
Senior - BHPian

- Kudos to VW and Vento for churn out the highest selling car in the C Segment. Honda City is no longer the segment leader, atleast for March 2011. It is quite surprising why Honda is not bringing in their Diesels.

- Toyota is growing from strength to strength. I remember, three years back, we were all (including myself) bashing Toyota for their poor product strategy for India. In three years, they have changed the game completely. Well done!!

- Figo seems to be ticking most of the points that we Indians look for in a Hatch. The 1.4 L diesel seems to have done the trick. Any information on the Petrol/Diesel split up would be useful.

- Tata Aria? I guess we would look forward to a "Huge" price cut for the Aria. It would be mouth watering it comes at Safari VX prices
Old 1st April 2011, 20:58   #18
BHPian

To put it, I wait desperately for this thread first of every month & relish upon the analysis by fellow Bhpians.
Regarding 8 to 10 lakh segment battle, like many here, I too am waiting for the launch of the New Verna & the New Fiesta to see the exact positioning of different brands. But I think VW will not rest just at that. Already they have started work on missing elements in Vento like steering mounted controls, better HU, USB connectivity, headlamps etc. few of which are deal breaker for some people. (I just hope they improve their customer handling process - first-thing) . Add to this a rapidly expanding dealership network, late-future add on options in-terms of interior & their pool of good TSI & TDI engines.
And above all, unlike Honda, its their keen interest in Indian market - seen through, never-seen-before advertisement campaign, huge investment in manufacturing facility & competitive pricing that will make them a formidable competitor in this segment for longer time.
Let the competition go further!
Old 1st April 2011, 21:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Absolute disastrous month for Honda. Beaten black and blue from Hyundai and VW.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

History indeed in making.
Finally someone rubbed Honda's prim nose in mud.
No its not ignorance on part of Honda. Its ARROGANCE. Their TAKE IT or LEAVE IT attitude. We won't make a Diesel, no matter what. We will price it they way we feel, no matter what. Chill Honda. Have a Vento.

I always felt City has been overpriced for the sheer lack of competition in this segment.
And finally Vento does honors.
Honda is going to suffer on two counts.
1. Lack of Diesel.
2. Their pricing.

Indians are not fools. We do believe in brand following. But to a limit. And Honda crossed that limit.

Good show by Ford.
Hope they price the new Fiesta well to put an end to the suffering of Honda.

GTO: Please add FIAT numbers when you get them.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Aria tanks. Not surprising, considering Tata's over-confident pricing strategy. Dealer complaints about unsold Arias in their inventory have already started doing the rounds. It's ironical really; Tata have traditionally had the right price, but an inconsistent product. The Aria is probably the first Tata to be A+ out of the box, but priced so poorly. Mahindra must be watching the Aria's performance closely (as part of their W201 strategy).
Yep. The market has answered with the numbers. If TATA does not take enough counter measures then they will loose that segment. IMO instead of reducing the prices across the board they will try to introduce a cheaper 2WD variant and also try to add more gadgets/features to other ARIA variants thereby increasing their value and also keeping the same price. May be an ARIA AT for the same price would be welcome

Quote:
- Nice to see the Nano's upward climb. The cute li'l car deserves success, bad press be damned. Sumo / Grande OUTSELL the Xylo! And the Safari's 2K units aren't bad either.
From your figures:
Xylo : 2646
Sumo : 2526

Is Grande being reported separately? I hope they try to improve Grande further with the ARIA version of Dicor and continue with improving the interiors and also may be figure out ways to improve handling further.

Quote:
- Fortuner? Status quo. A 20 lakh rupee game changer? You bet. The Etios also steadily climbs up the charts, limited only by production capacity. Believe me, the Etios has given the C segment sedan buyer just what he wants (except for a diesel, which should be coming soon).

- The i10, i20 and Santro continue a highly respectable performance. The i10 in particular fights it out successfully, despite not having a diesel engine.

- Between the UVs, it's the Innova neck to neck with the Scorpio! The Innova - as the most all-rounded UV - continues its hold over the premium UV segment. But the Scorpio is close. Irony is that, the Xylo was supposed to be an Innova-fighter. The UV-Emperor Bolero seems untouchable, rural India fascination et al.

- The Polo also records a reasonable month for a premium hatch, with a score of 3,881. Out dragged by sister Vento though.

- The Cruze is indeed the best selling C+ segment diesel sedan. The Altis is the best seller by over a 100 units, but it also has a petrol variant.

- Figo has one of its best months ever, with nearly 9,000 units shipped from the factory! This is 3 - 4 months of Ford's pre-Figo sales.

- Nice to see the Spark and Beat having settled at about the 3,000 mark each. GM's diesel Beat will easily double the sales.
It is good to see some of the new cars emerging at/near the top of segments like Vento, Cruze, i20 and Figo. Etios will also soon race to the top of its segment. Others like i10, Bolero, Innova, etc. still are successful in retaining their positions. India is still a VFM market. However the brand consciousness seem to be fading a bit in favor of products that are equally reliable.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:36   #22
dot
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see that three relatively recent launches in three bordering segments are ruling the sales sans Maruti numbers

1. Figo
2. Vento
3. Cruze

Probably shows that better products can move the incumbent.

Last edited by dot : 1st April 2011 at 21:39.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:38   #23
PCS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Interesting to see that three relatively recent launches in three bordering segments are ruling the sales sans Maruti numbers

1. Figo
2. Vento
3. Cruze

I think these 3 cars are doing good no.s , but the one who are ruling is

Swift & not Figo

Altis & not Cruze
Old 1st April 2011, 21:43   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
I think these 3 cars are doing good no.s , but the one who are ruling is

Swift & not Figo

Altis & not Cruze
About Swift: thats why I mentioned "sans Maruti numbers"!

About Cruze: Yes Corolla Altis sales are higher by about 100 cars. But not bad if you consider that a recent launch has taken on the mighty Corolla and almost caught up.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
We won't make a Diesel, no matter what. We will price it they way we feel, no matter what.
Since everyone is saying about Honda not having a diesel; my question is do the really do not have a diesel motor or they do have one internationally but they are not bringing it in India?

But nice to see the Vento and Etios doing decent numbers. And yes, Fiat Linea numbers will be interesting to see in the current scenario.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:03   #26
BHPian

Just 152 Jazz's sold . Its a pity to see one of the best hatchbacks go down. Honda, please do something about the prize or plonk a 1.5l 100+bhp and make it vfm.

Figo doing excellent numbers again. At this rate i feel ford might just back off from launching the 1.6 trim in this car.

Aveo/uva , had read somewhere about their face lifted models. May be its high time they brought them on.

Fabia doing just half the numbers as polo, surprising. Considering the waiting period for polo, fabia should have fared better.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

I guess I am not the first and wont be the last to comment that the Vento has finally done what it was supposed to do that too with a wafer thin dealer network and a huge waiting list. I just hope the VW does not become greedy and spoil their party with bad after sales and very expensive spares. So Honda is the new city with a diesel heart on the design board yet? Brio better have a diesel engine as its unlikely to be priced below 5L to be a petrol only model or we may just see another Jazz in the making.

Altis figures are impressive though I am sure as a single variant the Cruze must have beaten the D4D Altis.

The aging Spark is still outselling the newer Beat and March sales for the Spark will be even better with the huge discounts on offer till 31st March.

The Toyota Etios diesel when launched may just about spoil the the Dzire and the Manza party by the looks of its petrol figures.

Fabia is selling quite well considering how much bad mouthing Skoda has been getting recently here on team-bhp

Figo as usual is selling brilliantly, probably the second best selling premium hatch in India?

Now waiting for Maruti and Fiat numbers.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

What a show by VW cousins Polo and Vento.! VW's efforts in streamlining production and increasing dealerships is showing results slowly and steadily. Polo can even threaten i20. One should not be surprised to see the number of Polos and Ventos swarming on roads of cities like Bangalore nowadays.
VW may next target Toyota.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

I would like to see what Vento numbers will be once the backlogs are cleared. Only wished they could speed up their manufacturing.
City's numbers are still good especially with petrol prices rising. You dont even pay a premium for Vento Diesel compared to City petrol
Old 1st April 2011, 22:49   #30
BHPian

Honda should gear up to start seeing even lower numbers from their bread winner in the coming months. Competition would be real intense when Ford and Hyundai unleash their all new polished, sharpened weapons!!!
Being a ANHC owner, i feel terribly bad to say it. But this is the true fact at the moment, If Honda don't think and act fast about their pricing strategy and get over their brand dependence, The competition would soon be doing this for Honda ~
Closed Thread

Most Viewed