Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:15   #301
Senior - BHPian

Don't get me wrong Jaisha sir but these wheelcaps kinda ruin the lovely looks of the car. I think you must stick to the original pattern ones. What happened to the ones available at scrapyard. Weren't they of any use to you.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:06   #302
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd June 2010 at 20:16.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:11   #303
BHPian

@samsag:I agree but i guess the metal wheel caps will sufficeif the origina ones arent available. They are still available arent they? should i ask in delhi if those wheel caps are available? theres a pretty good chance they are.the parts guy is very confiden about being able to supply the parts for the fiat , ne 118 , contessa etc, even though these are very rare in delhi. And as long as i had a fiat i never had a spares problem, hough some spares were a decade old, like the airfilter that he sold me(both elofic and purolator were available)

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 2nd June 2010 at 22:15.
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:14   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
I bought a new set of Wheel caps for my S1 as the old model was nowhere available. Attaching some photos of the same.

WoW! They look great on your S1 Jaisha. Which car's wheel caps are those? Did it fit in nicely? Have you put any tags to ensure they do not fall off?

EDIT: Oops! I see the tags in the pictures.

Last edited by funkykar : 3rd June 2010 at 00:16.
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:46   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
I bought a new set of Wheel caps for my S1 as the old model was nowhere available. Attaching some photos of the same.
Wow what a nicely maintained car.Looks in showroom condition.The paint is original or you got it painted again.You surely love that car.Can we have pics of the interiors too.
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:05   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
@samsag:I agree but i guess the metal wheel caps will sufficeif the origina ones arent available. They are still available arent they? should i ask in delhi if those wheel caps are available? theres a pretty good chance they are.the parts guy is very confiden about being able to supply the parts for the fiat , ne 118 , contessa etc, even though these are very rare in delhi. And as long as i had a fiat i never had a spares problem, hough some spares were a decade old, like the airfilter that he sold me(both elofic and purolator were available)
The steel ones available in the market are of very inferior quality. They tend to catch rust in half a year or so. Aluminum caps do last longer without compromising on the finish but are nowhere to be found new. The plastic ones can be found in Delhi if searched extensively as i got a set for my car few months back. Though they are not tough as the original ones still look nice and near to original. The other option is to get a decent set from scrap yard. Maybe 2 to 3 visits will be required as usually 1 or 2 caps out of 4 are in perfect shape as per my recent experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishverma0675 View Post
Wow what a nicely maintained car.Looks in showroom condition.The paint is original or you got it painted again.You surely love that car.Can we have pics of the interiors too.
Verma ji go back a few pages of this thread to find answers to your questions. They all will be answered.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:06   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Don't get me wrong Jaisha sir but these wheelcaps kinda ruin the lovely looks of the car. I think you must stick to the original pattern ones. What happened to the ones available at scrapyard. Weren't they of any use to you.
You are right, samsag12. These wheel caps dont suit the car at all and also not tight finish. I had to tie a cable tie so that it doesnt fall off. The ones that were available in scrapyard were metal ones and i didnt want those.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:17   #308
BHPian

Quote:
@samsag: should i ask in delhi if those wheel caps are available? theres a pretty good chance they are.the parts guy is very confiden about being able to supply the parts for the fiat , ne 118 , contessa etc, even though these are very rare in delhi. And as long as i had a fiat i never had a spares problem, hough some spares were a decade old, like the airfilter that he sold me(both elofic and purolator were available)
I would be greatful if you can check in Delhi and find out if the S1 wheel caps as in the picture below. I m getting fiat spares but not the show accessories in my place. If you can get me 1 set (4 pcs) that would be very helpful. Even if you can get only 1 piece also it would do as I have 3 pcs with me now that can be used. Please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-img_0017.jpg  

Last edited by jaisha8 : 3rd June 2010 at 14:19. Reason: correction
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:03   #309
BHPian

hey jaisha , i just went and found out. Of the three spare parts shops in my colony i just asked the least popular one(the first and the only shop i asked) and even he has the s1 wheel caps in stock(only one set) quoted 350 as the price. He says he can get more sets if i order.

Also i asked him about the availibility of the s1 badges(showed him the pics) and he set they can also be arranged(though not in stock).

although i would not get too happy just yet if i were you. you cant be sure untill you see it in front of you.(past experience) so if anyone needs these part let me know ill tell him to get them for you and then we can see if he delivers on his words. meanwhile jaisha should i purchase the set in stock , for you??
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:12   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey jaisha , i just went and found out. Of the three spare parts shops in my colony i just asked the least popular one(the first and the only shop i asked) and even he has the s1 wheel caps in stock(only one set) quoted 350 as the price. He says he can get more sets if i order.

Also i asked him about the availibility of the s1 badges(showed him the pics) and he set they can also be arranged(though not in stock).

although i would not get too happy just yet if i were you. you cant be sure untill you see it in front of you.(past experience) so if anyone needs these part let me know ill tell him to get them for you and then we can see if he delivers on his words. meanwhile jaisha should i purchase the set in stock , for you??
Sirji do inquire about the price of S1 dicky badges and if possible get 2 sets for me after confirming the price. I too need a set of original design wheelcaps to stock for future. But from past experience the plastic quality and its thickness is very crap. They have the tendency break if pressed harder. So do look out for this even when purchasing a set for Jaisha8. If possible click some pics of the caps and badges and mail or upload here.

One thing to note here is that the original PAL wheelcaps were fitted on all four wheel nuts as compared to the ones which fit on two opposite ones. And all the caps had a rubber bush at the end of it in order to protect the plastic from cracking while tightening the wheel nut. So if the new ones doesn't have these washers do get them from any hardware store and stick them to the caps to ensure long life of the caps which are already scarce.

Last edited by samsag12 : 3rd June 2010 at 20:16.
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:53   #311
BHPian

@samsag: Ill go and place the order once everyne who wants these has informed me about it since theres no point in going again and again to update the order. also i really cant say anything about the quality of the wheelcaps but from my experience, they are unlikely to be of high quality atleast the ones that he gets once i order(maybe the one he has is a NOS part)

but since i have been told that the s1 style wheelcaps just arent available, original quality or duplicate , i think you should grab these with both hands.

The life of these plastic wheel covers like all plastic and rubber parts is dependant on another factor that is almost always ignored. exposure to sunlight and heat. this is the reason why i always keep my car covered. even when i take it to college i cover it there as well.

i have seen even original parts like steering and plastic surround of the speedometer crack , lose colour and simply wither away, in a lot of padminis, contessas and ne's so covering a car is a must

Also i asked him how much the dickey badges cost he said they should be around 20 -30 bucks a piece(so two sets of two badges =120 bucks

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 3rd June 2010 at 20:56.
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:59   #312
BHPian

Quote:
mycarhasablower- First of all I deeply appreciate your prompt response in searching for the wheel caps and I really admire your interest in S1 cars. Please get me 1 set of these wheel caps if it is the same as in the Picture. Please dont bother about the quality, you may get me 1 set before the stock is taken away by someone else. I shall PM you my home address and you can send it by Speedpost. Unfortunately I m abroad now (Angola) and would be coming home ony by July. I shall send you the money as soon as I arrive. Once again deeply appreciate your help.

Last edited by jaisha8 : 3rd June 2010 at 21:02. Reason: Correction
Old 3rd June 2010, 21:51   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@samsag: Ill go and place the order once everyne who wants these has informed me about it since theres no point in going again and again to update the order. also i really cant say anything about the quality of the wheelcaps but from my experience, they are unlikely to be of high quality atleast the ones that he gets once i order(maybe the one he has is a NOS part)

but since i have been told that the s1 style wheelcaps just arent available, original quality or duplicate , i think you should grab these with both hands.

The life of these plastic wheel covers like all plastic and rubber parts is dependant on another factor that is almost always ignored. exposure to sunlight and heat. this is the reason why i always keep my car covered. even when i take it to college i cover it there as well.

i have seen even original parts like steering and plastic surround of the speedometer crack , lose colour and simply wither away, in a lot of padminis, contessas and ne's so covering a car is a must

Also i asked him how much the dickey badges cost he said they should be around 20 -30 bucks a piece(so two sets of two badges =120 bucks
What you said is very true. We should grab these opportunities quickly as they don't last forever. BTW i hope that the badges are the aluminum patti ones with alphabets in black paint printed over it. If this is so then get me a double set. Atleast pick them up and keep them with you. Shipping and fund transfer can be discussed later. About the wheel caps i think i will decide in a day or two and let you know about it. Meanwhile if you pick the set for Jaisha8 do send some of its pics to me for reference and decision purpose.
Old 4th June 2010, 12:43   #314
BHPian

Today i went and bought the wheel caps that jaisha8 asked me to, they cost 350 bucks(is that reasonable? i dont know since i havent ever bought wheel caps). They seem to be of good quality. Nice thick, rigid plastic. PAL logo in centre and the kind that holds onto all four nuts and not two, so going buy the info given by samsag they are of very good quality. Since these must have been lying with him for quite a while , they could be the original ones(i cant really say since i havent seen the original ones) but if more pieces are ordered they may not be the same quality is what i feel.

Also i have told him to get a set of he s1 badges to see the quality and if they are ctually made of alluminium. lets see.

meanwhile jaisha i am nt sure about how to send it to you, since the way they are packed now they will most definitely break in transit. do u want me to pack them in a bigger box with news paper acting as a shock absorber?

You do understand that the shipping might cost more than the caps themselves?(its a guess , havent ever shipped something this big so dont know)
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-phpv1yjw5am.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-phpkb2lblam.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-phpofmbtuam.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-phpfh0q94am.jpg  

mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2010, 14:42   #315
BHPian

Quote:
meanwhile jaisha i am nt sure about how to send it to you, since the way they are packed now they will most definitely break in transit. do u want me to pack them in a bigger box with news paper acting as a shock absorber?

You do understand that the shipping might cost more than the caps themselves?(its a guess , havent ever shipped something this big so dont know)
mycarhasablower - I really dont know how to thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. You may please cover each wheel caps in newspaper and pack it in a bigger box and if possible send it by Professional courier cargo as this is very near to my house. Never mind at all the shipping cost, I'll pay you what ever it comes to, still it is worth the cost. Once again thank you pal, for all your efforts. Please let me know after you send it so that I can inform my father about it.

Most Viewed