Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 08:47   #331
Senior - BHPian

MCB if you seriously want a fiat/PP come over to Lucknow there are plenty of them here in very good condition at Rs. 20to 25K incl paper work. A month back there was this immaculate PPres which was recently restored which even had the fresh engine oil(red in color). Few days back 2 PP's turned out to the scrapyard but were immediately sold in pieces. Engine, tranny, chassis, doors, even the door pads were sold off the shelf. So if you are serious to have a look at the PP's here do inform me.
Old 19th June 2010, 09:05   #332
Senior - BHPian

MCB is in Delhi. He better look out for a PP in Delhi itself due to the tough RTO norms. If he picks it from elsewhere, I am sure he would have plenty of issues re-registering it in Delhi
Old 19th June 2010, 12:23   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Jaisha8 by silencer did you mean the Exhaust Pipe which is fitted on the exhaust manifold.If it is so then do note when giving the car to the mechanic, the Twin pipe setup in S1 is unique and probably its USP (atleast for us). Do inform the mechanic to get the twin pipe setup fabricated rather than putting a single (normal Padmini) pipe.
yes you are right. I meant the exhaust manifold with twin pipe setup and the part that comes out from the engine. He is an expert and he will do it likewise without telling.
Old 19th June 2010, 12:42   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
yes you are right. I meant the exhaust manifold with twin pipe setup and the part that comes out from the engine. He is an expert and he will do it likewise without telling.
Thats good to hear. So i guess no worries then. Hope after the repair you enjoy the joyous ride of S1. BTW does your S1 came with a catcon.
Old 19th June 2010, 15:06   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Thats good to hear. So i guess no worries then. Hope after the repair you enjoy the joyous ride of S1. BTW does your S1 came with a catcon.
You mean a 'Catalytic Converter' isnt it? Yes, it came with one, but we removed it long time back. Now dont know where it is lying?
Old 5th August 2010, 19:17   #336
BHPian

All of a sudden my S1 started giving a series of problems. First the exhaust pipe from the engine side broke off. I got a new exhaust line and got it repaired. After getting it repaired while I was driving back, noticed that there was more sound like a leak in the silencer. After reaching home noticed that this time the muffler has given away. When I showed it to the guy who repaired the exhaust part, he advised to replace the complete assemby which now includes the muffler and the tail assembly. Luckily it was available and I have bought it.
After 2 days, I wanted to take the car to get these welded and the car wouldn't start. I tried all ways in my knowledge but no way. I called the electrician and he doubted the battery. So I took my tavera battery and tried but the self motor was turning and it was making efforts to start but no luck. The electrician checked the Delco and coil and he said it is some mechanical problem.
Can anyone please guide me what could be the possible problem. I m praying it is should not be an engine problem.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:28   #337
BHPian

Quote:
All of a sudden my S1 started giving a series of problems. First the exhaust pipe from the engine side broke off. I got a new exhaust line and got it repaired. After getting it repaired while I was driving back, noticed that there was more sound like a leak in the silencer. After reaching home noticed that this time the muffler has given away. When I showed it to the guy who repaired the exhaust part, he advised to replace the complete assemby which now includes the muffler and the tail assembly. Luckily it was available and I have bought it.
After 2 days, I wanted to take the car to get these welded and the car wouldn't start. I tried all ways in my knowledge but no way. I called the electrician and he doubted the battery. So I took my tavera battery and tried but the self motor was turning and it was making efforts to start but no luck. The electrician checked the Delco and coil and he said it is some mechanical problem.
Can anyone please guide me what could be the possible problem. I m praying it is should not be an engine problem.
Itf your battery is ok and self motor is rotating and still your car doesnt start then check if spark is coming from the plug wire holding it away from the plug and give self at the same time. If spare is not seen then you need to check the delco points and adjust to get proper ignition. Check out the video at pp.com regarding the delco. And still your car doesnt start call me we will talk upon.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:43   #338
BHPian

The rule of the thumb is , if a perfectly running car stops abruptly(without any indication of other damage, like sound etc.), its either a fueling problem , or a spark problem.if you do have spark (do what mehul said yourself , dont rely on the mechanic, they are incompetent most of the time)then check the carb and the fuel pump. this is assuming your previous noise issue was just your exhaust. From the battery issue , it seems mechanics in your area do end up misdiaganosing stuff sometimes.So be sure that the earlier sound was the exhaust only.
Old 6th August 2010, 07:00   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
The rule of the thumb is , if a perfectly running car stops abruptly(without any indication of other damage, like sound etc.), its either a fueling problem , or a spark problem.if you do have spark (do what mehul said yourself , dont rely on the mechanic, they are incompetent most of the time)then check the carb and the fuel pump. this is assuming your previous noise issue was just your exhaust. From the battery issue , it seems mechanics in your area do end up misdiaganosing stuff sometimes.So be sure that the earlier sound was the exhaust only.
It is not only misdiagnosing but lure to make a quick buck. Some time back, my premier padmini stopped and it was a loose wire connection. I had all the spanners but not No 8. From somewhere a mechanic appeared and he said I would do it. While he was at the job, he mentioned that my coil is gone and he has a spare one costing Rs800. I asked him to just tighten the screw and leave at that. The car started and after 100ms again stopped and this fellow was waiting for the same some 150 ms away and again tried to sell the coil. Luckily, I was able to locate the wire he had snapped, joined the same and started the engine and drove off. It happened just ahead of Andheri flyover. Always be wary of local unwarranted mechanics.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:43   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Yes, the noise was an exhaust issu. We already tried out what Mehul sir suggested and the spark was coming while trying to start the car. Actually earlier there was oil forming on the spark plugs but that was rectified by adding adapters on spark plugs. Anyway, as I m at work place now, I will have to try it out when I get home in 2 weeks.
Old 6th August 2010, 14:38   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the noise was an exhaust issu. We already tried out what Mehul sir suggested and the spark was coming while trying to start the car. Actually earlier there was oil forming on the spark plugs but that was rectified by adding adapters on spark plugs. Anyway, as I m at work place now, I will have to try it out when I get home in 2 weeks.
Try to cover the air filter mouth half and then give self without pressing the accelarator, it works well some times, still no start, remove petrol tube give self, when petrol spills hold the tube into carb and press into place it will start.
Old 6th August 2010, 14:43   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Try to start without those adapters, adapter I guess you had fitted some thing on the plug to reduce radio distrubances? I had fitted before in my car too, but threw them far away.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:15   #343
Senior - BHPian

I think he's referring to the spark plug adapters which prevent the plugs from getting oiled. Its used when the engine consumes oil. Though a temporary solution, it creates a gap between the plug tip and chamber. The main disadvantage of this is the loss of pickup.
Regarding the exhaust pipe of Jaisha8's S1, i think if the pipe is damaged near the bend then replacement is the only solution as the thrust will force the weld to reopen.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:08   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Though a temporary solution, it creates a gap between the plug tip and chamber. The main disadvantage of this is the loss of pickup.
If I replace the the plug with a new one would it be a permanent solution as I have also noticed a loss of pick up.
Yes, I have replaced the exhaust pipe now needs to replaced the muffler and the tail pipe as well. As my car is not running much, the water is getting accumulated in this pipe and thus causing the pipes to rust quickly. Is there any solution to this problem?
Old 7th August 2010, 21:19   #345
Senior - BHPian

Nothing can be done to prevent the oil on the plug apart from a engine rebore. New ones with the adaptor will work very good for sometime and pickup will be good too( experienced myself on S1 engine) but after sometime they too will loose their optimal functionality. Best you can do is to add some engine oil additive like Nulon Engine treatment which forms a 0.5 micron coating on each and every part like piston rings, seals et al which in turn will help to reduce the oil consumption. The cost is around 500 Rs for a 350 ML can and can be bought online at a discount. Have heard that it works wonders, reduces engine noise, overheating issues, and white smoke.
Regarding the rust on pipe and muffler, get the underbody of the car coated with rubber sealant. Rust cannot acumulate on the insides of the exhaust parts of your car as the engine is consuming oil so just get the underbody coating done.

Last edited by samsag12 : 7th August 2010 at 21:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks