Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2011, 13:08   #361
BHPian

Re: The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a good Maruti mechanic and when I told him my problem regarding the carburetor he suggested that we can try the Esteem carburetor for S1 and it can boost the performance. Only thing there would have to be some alterations made to the exhaust pipes.
Any suggestions from gurus would be highly appreciated.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:11   #362
BHPian

Hi Samag12, Have you completed the work on your car? Please load some images with the new badges etc.
Old 8th May 2011, 03:13   #363

Hi. my names Dale and i'm from Goa. i've grown up in a fiat so as soon as i got my second pay-check i bought this beauty. got a little more work done on it. will upload more updated pictures. just need to get a little used to this site.. just need a little help sourcing an altenator clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc_0010.jpg  

Old 8th May 2011, 20:08   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a good Maruti mechanic and when I told him my problem regarding the carburetor he suggested that we can try the Esteem carburetor for S1 and it can boost the performance. Only thing there would have to be some alterations made to the exhaust pipes.
Any suggestions from gurus would be highly appreciated.
does your car have a mikuni carb like the 800's ? if thats the case then just a carb overhaul would be all thats required to fix it . besides the jets in the float bowl, there are air jets on the outside of the carb body as well that need cleaning. thene there is the enrichment circuit. Just buy yourself a carb rebuild kit, open and clean up the whole carb, blow compressed air through the passages and it will be as good as new. I know, since all my 4 cars run the same basic mikuni carb. the esteems carb wont give you much of a performance gain since the throat sizes arent very different for the primary venturi and they are the same for the secondary venturi. It does have a few extra circuits that control the mixture more accurately, but they arent totally necessary. youll have to go through the trouble of rejetting as well. Not worth it.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:52   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale_coolguy View Post
Hi. my names Dale and i'm from Goa. Just need a little help sourcing an altenator clamp.
Dear Dale - please post pictures of the alternator as mounted on the engine. I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 19:46   #366
Senior - BHPian

I am restoring a PP S1 and need some help in locating the near to original shade of the car. Here is the link to the thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ecial-one.html If anyone can help me out please reply in the restoration thread. Thanks
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 20:29   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Dale - please post pictures of the alternator as mounted on the engine. I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc_0014.jpg

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc_0025.jpg

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc_0023.jpg

thank you for the help..this is an updated picture of my car it's a little dusty because it hasn't been used in a while.. the altenator clamp is not of good quality n keeps bending.. and i'm not able to source a different one in goa..
Old 16th August 2011, 08:35   #368
BHPian

I m looking for a Premier Padmini for a friend of mine. If anyone knows any Padmini for sale please let me know on my email jaisha8@yahoo.com.
Old 10th September 2011, 22:31   #369
Senior - BHPian

So sad, I used to love my Premier Padmini, even dreamt of restoring it, but when I went to Patna this time I discovered my Dad had sold it to a scrap dealer for Rs. 18,000, The Car was in running condition, except that the paintwork was gone.
Goodbye to a car with lots of old memories. During my mariage in 1996 I had brought my wifr home in it, the trip to Kathmandu in 1987, the best performance of 14.4 kmpl in 1988, complete restoration and painting it white from original black in 1995!
Old 11th September 2011, 09:35   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I am restoring a PP S1 and need some help in locating the near to original shade of the car. Here is the link to the thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ecial-one.html If anyone can help me out please reply in the restoration thread. Thanks
I do not know what make it is. If it is Lucas TVS, just go to them and they would ensure u r comfortable. For my Premier padmini, I purchased the alternator and got it fixed by them. Some 5 years ago. Still not even a single problem.
Old 11th September 2011, 09:38   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
I do not know what make it is. If it is Lucas TVS, just go to them and they would ensure u r comfortable. For my Premier padmini, I purchased the alternator and got it fixed by them. Some 5 years ago. Still not even a single problem.
It seems you have quoted the wrong post gururaj r. Please check and quote.
Old 11th September 2011, 09:39   #372
BHPian

We have a 1991 (semi-restored) Premier Padmini. It has become expensive to run with the fuel prices soaring, and with the parts not being easily available in Kanpur, we have to depend on mechanics who are very skilled but charge a lot for any minor repairs. We have been considering the idea of selling it off, but there are many pros of having this as an additional car when one is driving on the horrible roads in UP, as it is able to handle them with great ease and one does not feel the same degree of uneasiness in driving it virtually anywhere as one does with a new car.

The mileage we get is about 10-11 kmpl I think, and several modifications have been made (except tuning the engine to improve the mileage), such as installation of halogen lamps, improved continuous seating, a white paint job, and restoration of the fenders, etc. The car has a luggage carrier and has been very very useful to us for the past 10 years since we've had it. Oh and we got a Bosch horn installed recently, which is way cooler than even the default horn on our Cruze!

Now that you folks talk of restoration and mods, I am curious to know what different kinds of mods are possible on this car? Apparently RTO does not allow conversion to CNG on this car, so one has to stick to petrol. For those of you still running the vehicle, are you able to get parts easily? If so, from where? I imagine that Maharashtra still has a huge number of these cars running as taxis so it is perhaps still possible to get parts..
Old 11th September 2011, 09:52   #373
BHPian

Sorry Samsag! My comment is meant for the clamps of Alternator quoted by dale_coolguy.
Old 11th September 2011, 12:41   #374
Senior - BHPian

@darthvader:
Glad to hear that you have still retained the PP. Didn't understand what you meant by saying semi restored. Well as far as parts are concerned, if you try and find, there are still some shops who stock regular wear and tear items for Premiers. Not to mention that Kanpur has one of the largest scrapyard in north so used parts must not be a problem.I source few hard to find items (for my S1) from Mumbai through dealers. Then there are still few shops here (Lucknow) which stock new mechanical and electrical parts, consumables etc, quality is an issue though but sometimes we do get lucky in finding NOS or OE specs spares. If you need any help regarding the same do let me know.
Regarding the restoration part, personally i would suggest you to keep the cars as stock as possible. Can't comment on the fuel conversion part but if you want to enjoy the drive of PP don't convert it to gas, even if possible. Get the carburetor serviced and fine tuned by some old timer for better efficiency.

BTW would appreciate if you can post some pics of the car.

Last edited by samsag12 : 11th September 2011 at 12:42.
Old 11th September 2011, 14:56   #375
BHPian

Quote:
@darthvader:
Glad to hear that you have still retained the PP. Didn't understand what you meant by saying semi restored.
So, this is a 1991 model purchased second hand from a relative. We had it painted white (I think it was of almond color when we got it), got the upholstery fixed, a fan and power outlet installed on the dashboard (), and also got the floor sheet (I forget the technical term) completely changed as the original one corroded. The carburetor was changed and the engine tuned a few years ago, the brakes changed. The pickup has improved a LOT since the time the car was acquired and people are STILL fascinated by the acceleration when we overtake their Civics sometimes..hehe

When I said semi-restored, I meant that the car wasn't in a terrible condition when we acquired it, so the improvements were done piecewise.

Quote:
Not to mention that Kanpur has one of the largest scrapyard in north so used parts must not be a problem.
Haha, yes. Well, we do have a mechanic who has been keeping the car in good shape, but it has become rather expensive for the past 2-3 years and the low mileage hurts too. So, I have generally kept my father from doing too much to the car (like putting up a Heads Up Display with Satellite Navigation, haha, just kidding), as I felt saving money for the new car was better.

At the same time, the car does have a certain regal touch to it which only true car enthusiasts, mechanics and techies can appreciate, and not people who look at it as an "old car".

To be honest, I do not want to give it up as there are a lot of memories associated with it. But keeping it for too long will only depreciate the value further and put us in a position where we have to keep investing on parts, maintenance and petrol.

Good to hear from another Fiat owner in Lucknow. I hope we can stay in touch, and perhaps even meet if you ever come down to Kanpur . And yes, I'll post pictures sometime soon.
darthvader is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks