Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2006, 19:37   #61
BHPian

Some of my best driving moments were spent on our 3 consecutive Padmini cars (Economy '86 model, Deluxe BE '92, Deluxe BE '96). I really loved driving the cars with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gear shift.

Congratulations on the extremely well-maintained car. Love the wheels.
Old 18th May 2006, 17:31   #62
BHPian

hey ram, the info u have about the fiat 1100s and premier padminis is really gr8. i read all ur threads about the fiat/padmini and i was really feeling happy 2 learn that there are so many fiat lovers in this new generation. liked the way in which u maintained ur s1 i have seen that lancers 13/14 inchers fit well on the padminis but i think it would be better if u go 4 a two-tone paint job. we had a padmini for 11 years and sold it for just 7000 bucks.
Old 18th May 2006, 18:27   #63
BHPian

Ram good info for u to know ur car and nicely mainatined too.
its good for car enthusiasts, i'm not one though.
Old 19th May 2006, 10:39   #64

i still own a fiat fitted with the company's diesel engine.i would like to remodel my car and would like to know if i can change over to the previous petrol engine and if i do so will i have any endorsement problems.and pls do tell me about the estimated cost for the conversion,endorsement and the remodelling....
Old 19th May 2006, 11:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvijais85
i still own a fiat fitted with the company's diesel engine.i would like to remodel my car
How about chopping down the roof, getting a canvas retractable roof, and the 100 bhp engine from Palio 1.6. Fat rubbers, and a nice red??? or black will do nicely.

She is going to be beauty.
To visualise try to see the movie KARZ look out for the yellow top less beauty Rishi kapoor drives.
Old 19th May 2006, 14:44   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Dear Devarshi Fadia:

Three things tell that it is not an Indian Fiat 1100.

D. It is a left-hand drive.
E. The curved stainless steel protectors under the doorhandles were not standard in India.
F. The bumper overrider and additional tubular guard is original Fiat, but never available in India.

Regards
Ram
Hey Ram, I think I had read on some thread somewhere that you were into software. How come you have so much info on this car? Amazing! Honestly I am impressed.You must really love this car.
Old 19th May 2006, 14:48   #67
BHPian

Slightly off topic, but can someone tell me if LPG and CNG fuels work both for petrol and diesel engines? All the Bombay taxis (diesel engine) and autos (petrol engine) seem to run on these fuels.
Old 21st May 2006, 12:24   #68
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the compliment

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Hey Ram, I think I had read on some thread somewhere that you were into software. How come you have so much info on this car? Amazing! Honestly I am impressed.You must really love this car.
Dear prabuddhadg:

Yes I really love my Premier Padmini S1. Thanks for the compliment.

Just like any Team-BHPian, I have info on my cars because of deep interest.

My profession gave me the pleasure of exposure to the global world of cars.
Armed with a 1980 university bachelor's degree in electronics & telecommunication engineering, I joined the software industry in Jan 1981. I like to imagine that I helped shape India's software export industry in the decade of the eighties.

The pre-Internet years saw most of us, computer professionals of India's early software consulting companies living and working in North America and Western Europe.
Here is a narrative on some of my cars.

Like most Team-BHPians, my passion for the automobile goes back far into childhood.

India's proliferation of world-class cars happened post 1985.

The fax machine first appeared in India in 1986 and the World-Wide Web followed in 1993.

These technologies ushered in the globe-shrinking information era. They enabled the concept of India-based offshore software factories for overseas markets.
They also established high-paying software jobs for lakhs of students coming out of Indian engineering colleges. These disposable incomes initiated, grew and sustained a viable volume market for Zens, Ikons, Palios and Esteems.

But hold your horses. The best is yet to come!

Warm regards
Ram
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:28   #69
BHPian

Hey Ram, I just saw your narrative on cars in your site. Quite a motley assortment there. I found the Mustang, the W 201 and the Ford Sierra the most interesting. I prefer compact cars and cars on steroids.
But of all the write ups, it was the one on the Fiat 1100 that made for the most interesting reading.
Hope to read more of your insightful articles.
Old 23rd May 2006, 11:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

I used to have a Fiat from 1989 to 1998. I gave it a heart transplant with a 1.6 Mazda diesel engine and a 5 speed conti gearbox. The torque was amazing and it was fun smoking esteems and cielos at traffic light enjoying the shocked looks that i got. Had painted it metallic black with 13 inch NE rims and dark tints . Just loved that car
Old 7th July 2006, 23:59   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

gotta love old fiats!

Hi there Ram

fantastic article i must say...been following many other posts as well...great going!

we'd be honoured to have you as a part of our Fiat Classic Car Club here in pune...message me for more details...i tried messaging you but your inbox is full

cheers
karl
Old 8th July 2006, 20:13   #72

u said it man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Premier Padmini was one of the best car available in India at one time. I learnt to drive on this car. We had it for 13 years!

It's good points were:

* RWD
* Steering mounted gearshift (so hand has to travel less)
* Practical (can sit 5 + boot)
* frugal (consistently got 10 km/L till the end in city)
* Excellent front visibility. The entire bonnet could be seen from drivers seat - so no "guessing" during parking and bumper to bumper movement.
* Easy to manoeuvre
* Any roadside mechanic could fix its probelems

any road side mac can do a the fixing job
Old 21st August 2006, 21:14   #73
BHPian

Ram,
I have a premier which has the column shifts? If I wanted to change it to floor gears, could I replace it with the 118NE's?
Also I want to have bucket seats installed. Any place in Pune/Mumbai where I could "shop" for these?

Kau
Old 22nd August 2006, 09:21   #74
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Premier originally equipped the Padmini S1 Deluxe BU,
with the silky-smooth 4-speed synchromesh floor-mounted gearshift and drive train including the differential from their more powerful 118NE.

So dimensionally it is possible.

The workshop's level of education (ITI-diploma holders?), skill, ability and willingness to measure, calculate, install and re-measure while fitting are important.

You will need to entrust the right expert garage to install it with perfect alignment, so that it works smoothly without lifelong vibrations and misalignment rumbles.
Haste makes waste. The best results will come when the auto hobbyist is willing to invest time to research, study, make an engineering plan and shop for the right components.

If you feel up to it, you should do the work yourself or supervise skilled labor or alternatively, find the right workshop and make your own engineering assessment of the professionals who will work on it.

Bucket seats are easier to do. Find a set from a scrapped S1 and have them re-upholstered.

Ram
Old 20th September 2006, 11:49   #75
BHPian

Hey Ram,
Thanks for your reply. I will certainly take care and be cautious while making the changes. I also got in touch with a "team fiat" person who is from Pune and I understand that he does the mods himself. So lets see what I come up with. Will keep you updated on my progress.
Kaustubh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks