Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2009, 14:42   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Mr. Mehul.. Can you explain why fixing alloys is a EXCELLENT idea?
Will it give more mileage?
Better handling?
More power?

Justify Please.
Firstly it is the looks, it really enhances the beauty of the car. Secondly the alloy wheels are lighter than the original wheels and to some extent increase the mileage and of course great comfort in driving with radial tyres, no doubt.
Old 27th December 2009, 14:45   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
Firstly it is the looks, it really enhances the beauty of the car. Secondly the alloy wheels are lighter than the original wheels and to some extent increase the mileage and of course great comfort in driving with radial tyres, no doubt.
the looks improves with alloy wheels.. Padmini is anyways a stunner looker without all the fancy cosmetics. I would prefer you to let the car be in the original look and fittings. Its your wish after all....

Mr. Behram Dhabar always prefers "Ceat Safety Drive" tyres. I don't think radial tyres are any better than nylon treaded tyres for Padminis..

Last edited by arun1100 : 27th December 2009 at 14:49.
Old 27th December 2009, 14:51   #123
BHPian

Quote:
the looks improves with alloy wheels..

Mr. Behram Dhabar always prefers "Ceat Safety Drive" tyres. I don't think radial tyres are any better than nylon treaded tyres for Padminis..
For fiats nylon tyres are best, because streering are designed to handle only them, my friend has swift radials on his car, its very difficult turning around in slow speeds and if the car is old it will affect old worn streering joints and arms. So better nylons.
Old 27th December 2009, 15:13   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehul1100 View Post
For fiats nylon tyres are best, because streering are designed to handle only them, my friend has swift radials on his car, its very difficult turning around in slow speeds and if the car is old it will affect old worn streering joints and arms. So better nylons.
Yeah true Mehul. Now we need to start collecting Nylon treaded tyres.!
Old 27th December 2009, 16:28   #125
BHPian

Quote:
I m further going to soon transform my S1 as below. This is a computer developed image. Some repair work (tinkering) is going on at present. I will put a complete new rubber mats inside and also there are some rat holes on the inside roof which has to be repaired. The bushings have to be changed as this is a frequent problem in S1. As I plan to sell off my Ford Ikon, the SONY ICE unit I will fit in my Padmini. I believe it should be some car after all this is done.
Any suggestions from you all are most welcome.
All above things are routine maintenance.

The right side ORVM is looking ugly. Is it stock? If not try some good looking (of course suitable match for you S1) ORVM.
Putting alloys on old premiers, ambassadors are not a good idea. These cars are built for a decent drive not for zip zap and hard cornering type drive. Putting alloy with low profile radial will spoil the ride quality and put the adverse effect to suspension.
Old 27th December 2009, 17:04   #126
BHPian

arun1100, mehul1100 & alok,
Thank you all for your suggestions and sharing your knowledge regarding the tyres. I will keep it in mind. At present it is undergoing tinkering work. I plan to paint in Pearl white (same colour as my Fiat Linea). Would it look good on Padmini? Please advise.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:19   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
All above things are routine maintenance.

The right side ORVM is looking ugly. Is it stock? If not try some good looking (of course suitable match for you S1) ORVM.
Putting alloys on old premiers, ambassadors are not a good idea. These cars are built for a decent drive not for zip zap and hard cornering type drive. Putting alloy with low profile radial will spoil the ride quality and put the adverse effect to suspension.
Very well said Alok.

Quote:
I plan to paint in Pearl white (same colour as my Fiat Linea). Would it look good on Padmini? Please advise.
S1 came in Artic White(slightly creamish). The other white which Padmini came with is Pale Lilac(pure white, as in my car).

I feel Artic White suites best. Pearl white, if done with a really good paint job, might suite well. Or else might look a bit dull.

Meanwhile jaisha8, Please post some pics of work in progress..
Old 27th December 2009, 18:56   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Karthik- Simply love your car. Indeed a very original car. like your cation sticker next o the steering. The Thacker mats are really period and may have come as original. superb

PS- I now kind of know what i want to achieve nirvana.
Thanks Kavesh! I am all excited about the mini restoration that is taking place. It was already fine though! I just wwant to ensure tis in the best possible condition and it can live much much more longer

I would keep it as original as possible!
Old 27th December 2009, 20:09   #129
BHPian

Quote:

I feel Artic White suites best. Pearl white, if done with a really good paint job, might suite well. Or else might look a bit dull.

Meanwhile jaisha8, Please post some pics of work in progress..
My original colour of S1 is Super white and still the same. But when I bought Linea I wanted both the Fiats to be same colour. At present I m at work place and hence cant take any photos. But shall do so as soon as I get home on 2nd week Jan. Thanks for your interest, pal.
Old 27th December 2009, 20:26   #130
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr. Mehul.. Can you explain why fixing alloys is a EXCELLENT idea?
Will it give more mileage?
Better handling?
More power?

Justify Please.
The wheels, tires, drums, backing plates, bearings and rear axle of the Premier Padmini are part of its Unsprung weight.

When the car is driven over a rough road, these components actually track the ups and downs in the road, contributing to the harshness of the ride.

The heavier these components are, the more the inertia of the suspension and the more vibrations and harshness is transmitted to the carrosserie and the passengers within.

Mounting the lightest possible alloy wheels and tubeless tires, helps reduce unsprung weight and improves ride quality and road grip. Besides any reduction in weight will help rather than spoil fuel economy.

So the answer to your question arun1100 is
yes, light-weight alloys will improve both mileage and handling.

Ram
Old 30th December 2009, 15:02   #131
BHPian

As I mentioned earlier my car is undergoing tinkering work now. I wish to fit Gypsy dashboard (as per photo attached) in my Padmini so that I can accomodate the Music system comfortably. In the present case I will have be make up some box and fit it which would look ugly. I request your expert suggestions, should I go for the Gypsy dash or a Maruti 800 one. Experts suggestions most welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by jaisha8 : 30th December 2009 at 15:11.
Old 30th December 2009, 22:33   #132
BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier my car is undergoing tinkering work now. I wish to fit Gypsy dashboard (as per photo attached) in my Padmini so that I can accomodate the Music system comfortably. In the present case I will have be make up some box and fit it which would look ugly. I request your expert suggestions, should I go for the Gypsy dash or a Maruti 800 one. Experts suggestions most welcome.
In Coimbatore i have seen a Fiat with a dash designed from tata indicas one, the car has power streering, power windows, disc brakes, ac, remote central locking, alloys..

So you search coimbatore market you will find something new for your car too.
Old 31st December 2009, 09:53   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
"Goodbye Fiat 1100-D, though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself while those around you crawled.
They crawled out of the woodwork. And they whispered into your brain.
They set you on the treadmill, and they made you change your name.

This car was actually modded and rallied at one time with twin-carbs, free-flow exhaust and hot-plugs.

And it seems to me you lived your life like a candle in the wind.
Never knowing who to cling to when the rain set in.
And I would've liked to've known you but I was just a kid.
Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did."...

I loved this. I really understand and appreciate the emotions you've expressed here. Because I have similar sentiments for my baby Maruti 800. Fiat IS an excellent car. Just a few efforts to match it with the current scene and it will rule once again. Wish it happens.

Anyways... Shakehands!

Was so glad to read this thread.

Apurva.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:05   #134

Beautiful car! I have fond childhood memories of my uncle's 1974 Padmini. Everybody in the family just loved that car! Now he has two other cars, but he still maintains the Padmini in mint condition.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:01   #135
Senior - BHPian

Updates on Karthik's S1 being restored.
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc01201.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc01202.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc01203.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc01204.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc01205.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc01206.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com