Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 17:36   #136
BHPian

Would anyone (from Kerala) know where to get a good Italian Gas kit for my Padmini?
Old 31st December 2009, 17:42   #137
Senior - BHPian

Dear Ram

it brings back lot of nostalgic memories.

Out first car was a Premier Padmini Deluxe Be Model. I still remember the no.plate-
GUU- 9344 way back in 1995.

I learnt my driving on the car.
Very fond memories and I guess one of the reasons that I am still passionate about FIAT and still continue driving one inspite of much better cars available.
Old 31st December 2009, 17:58   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Dear Ram

Very fond memories and I guess one of the reasons that I am still passionate about FIAT and still continue driving one inspite of much better cars available.
Hope you are a member of FCCCI-Mumbai.

Last edited by arun1100 : 31st December 2009 at 17:59.
Old 31st December 2009, 18:03   #139
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
We had a Fiat aka Premier Padmini.It was 1984 model.It was very reliable except for the battery since the car was sparingly used.We had it for 18 years and finally had to scrap it as 2 cars (we had got a 800 in 97) were becoming increasingly difficult to keep.

The car was dark green in color and had goodyear radial tyres.We got the goodyears pretty late as the suspension had taken a lot of beating over the years and we would find the tyres would scrape against the side walls.

I learned to drive in it and loved the exhaust.In fact my current 800's Automech is much remeniscent of the the Fiat's exhaust.
I wish i still had the old Fiat but at that time we had to really let it go.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 31st December 2009 at 18:08.
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:35   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Updates on Karthik's S1 being restored.
I was wondering why Karthik didn't removed the cosmetic bits off the car such as wheel caps, number plate, plate light, rear seats,PREMIER PADMINI S1 badges(nowhere to be found today), etc as they can get damaged by the mechanic or their helpers (as per my worst past experience).
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:46   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I was wondering why Karthik didn't removed the cosmetic bits off the car such as wheel caps, number plate, plate light, rear seats,PREMIER PADMINI S1 badges(nowhere to be found today), etc as they can get damaged by the mechanic or their helpers (as per my worst past experience).
The garage in which the car is being restored is a safe place. Not many people walk into the garage.

Karthik has bought new wheel caps and number plate lights. But yes, its better they are kept safe.

The rear seat and PP S1 Badges have to be well protected as they are hard to find these days. The badges will be removed soon for complete painting.

Progress as on today. Pics...

Rear door patch changed. Inner and outer running board changed.
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc01211.jpg

New arch piece replaced.
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc01212.jpg
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:05   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rear door patch changed. Inner and outer running board changed.
Attachment 255318

New arch piece replaced.
Attachment 255319
As you said "The rear seat and PP S1 Badges have to be well protected as they are hard to find these days. The badges will be removed soon for complete painting." the badges that came with S1 are painted in black to resemble the alphabets and if they are accidentally painted over or scratched then it becomes impossible to recover them. Actually I also own a PP S1 and it happened to me once when i got my car painted, the painter was acting smart as he told that the paint on the badges will come off after rubbing it with some liquid. Well he literally wiped off all the paint including the black outlined one. That's why i was pointing towards it as one can find the PREMIER badge plate as they were also used in 118NE but procuring PADMINI S1 badge is somewhat same like procuring exhaust manifold or original Reverse horn of PP S1 .
Old 3rd January 2010, 07:45   #143
Senior - BHPian

samsag12: Post some pics of your car..
Old 3rd January 2010, 15:07   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
samsag12: Post some pics of your car..
will surely do Mr Arun but my car is at present not in a photogenic state as the paint is faded away and interiors are also very muddy.
To give a glimpse of my car I am attaching some pics which i have saved in my phone. And no, that cat is not mine. he he..She choose to have a sun bath over the car's roof
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-image057.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-image100.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2010, 17:27   #145
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody throw some light on the original wheel covers that came with PP S1.
Were they plastic ones or steel ones. Also can anyone help me in procuring the Metal front grill which came on older models such as President/ Delight. The plastic ones are very cheap in quality and costly in price. They tend to break frequently.As i am in the process of restoration of my car I would require help from fellow members.
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:13   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody throw some light on the original wheel covers that came with PP S1.
Were they plastic ones or steel ones. Also can anyone help me in procuring the Metal front grill which came on older models such as President/ Delight. The plastic ones are very cheap in quality and costly in price. They tend to break frequently.As i am in the process of restoration of my car I would require help from fellow members.
The original wheel covers that came for S1 was plastic and I m attaching a picture of the one I still have on my car. They never had steel wheel covers in this design. Also the front grill is not available in metal. They have only plastic grills chrome plated. I m planning to fabricate a new grill (custom designed) through a very good tinker known to me. My car is also under restoration at present and I shall post pictures later on.
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-pa040197aaa.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2010, 22:13   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
The original wheel covers that came for S1 was plastic and I m attaching a picture of the one I still have on my car. They never had steel wheel covers in this design. Also the front grill is not available in metal. They have only plastic grills chrome plated. I m planning to fabricate a new grill (custom designed) through a very good tinker known to me. My car is also under restoration at present and I shall post pictures later on.
I have PP S1 and I think it came with the same plastic covers Silver color with PAL written in the middle. I tried to source same wheel covers but was unlucky.Are these covers available anywhere ?? Will the steel covers do the justice to the originality of the car ?
Old 4th January 2010, 08:50   #148
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone I am in urgent need of information regarding the PP S1 muffler (dholki). Fitting the old padmini muffler can do any harm to the to the car or is it fine to get it installed. the S1 muffler is nowhere to be found. Also the tail pipe of S1 in my opinion is 1.75" as compared to 1.5" in diameter of older ones. Is there any present car model whose muffler can be used on S1 as I am not in favor of getting them fabricated (if there is a choice).
One more thing, what should be done to protect the S1 exhaust manifold (exhaust pipe running from engine to muffler) from getting rusted.Can rubber paint be applied over it or is there any other material present in the market for it.
A REQUEST: CAN ANYBODY POST SOME PICS OF S1 MUFFLER WHICH CAN HELP ME AND WELDER IN CASE OF GETTING IT FABRICATED.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:47   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone I am in urgent need of information regarding the PP S1 muffler (dholki). Fitting the old padmini muffler can do any harm to the to the car or is it fine to get it installed. the S1 muffler is nowhere to be found. Also the tail pipe of S1 in my opinion is 1.75" as compared to 1.5" in diameter of older ones. Is there any present car model whose muffler can be used on S1 as I am not in favor of getting them fabricated (if there is a choice).
One more thing, what should be done to protect the S1 exhaust manifold (exhaust pipe running from engine to muffler) from getting rusted.Can rubber paint be applied over it or is there any other material present in the market for it.
A REQUEST: CAN ANYBODY POST SOME PICS OF S1 MUFFLER WHICH CAN HELP ME AND WELDER IN CASE OF GETTING IT FABRICATED.
There is a shop in my place (Trichur,Kerala) which deals only with Padmini & Amby parts. The S1 muffler is available here. I recently replaced the entire line of exhaust pipe including the muffler. This is the problem in S1 it gets rusted very quickly. If I remember correctly, I m replacing this for the 4th time in 13 years. Applying rubber coated paint on exhaust would melt when it gets hot. Or you can use Aluminium pipe if it can be fabricated to prevent rusting.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:48   #150
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of Karthik's S1 mufler.
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc00490.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc00496.jpg  

The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc00498.jpg  

Last edited by arun1100 : 4th January 2010 at 10:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks