Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 11:30   #151
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone! The restoration is going pretty well. I am told that I have to do atleast a couple of coats of paint. I also have an option of painting it different color. However, I will go with the original color itself.

I appreciate all the suggestions on this thread. I have noted each of the suggestion to ensure we dont screw up anything on the car due to negligence. Even I am looking for the plastic wheel caps for my S1 for sake of originality.

Also, I would be fitting a different sports grill for my car. This will be for a short period. I would put the original grill back in place after a year or two.

SPECIAL thanks to Arun for posting pics and updates of my restoration in my absence and my busted camera

Last edited by funkykar : 4th January 2010 at 11:33.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:32   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Some pics of Karthik's S1 mufler.
@ Arun: This isnt the stock muffler. This is the Sports muffler that we put a month ago. I should have the stock muffler at my home somewhere. Unfortunately, I cant post pics now as my camera is busted.

What is visible before the sports muffler is catalytic converter i guess

Last edited by funkykar : 4th January 2010 at 11:45.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:25   #153
Senior - BHPian

The standard S1 muffler looks like this. Is the muffler any different from the normal Padmini one?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1504160
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-dsc00339.jpg  

Old 4th January 2010, 12:34   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
The standard S1 muffler looks like this. Is the muffler any different from the normal Padmini one?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1504160
The one posted above is, I think, the muffler of old padmini model and not S1 and if it is the S1 muffler then what does the padmini muffler looks like.
With due respect to Mr ramzsys I am posting his car's pic in which there is another type of muffler. The car is Premier Padmini 137D. Do diesel cars have another type of muffler ?
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-100_2977.jpg  

Old 4th January 2010, 13:50   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
The one posted above is, I think, the muffler of old padmini model and not S1 and if it is the S1 muffler then what does the padmini muffler looks like.
With due respect to Mr ramzsys I am posting his car's pic in which there is another type of muffler. The car is Premier Padmini 137D. Do diesel cars have another type of muffler ?
I dug into some of the pics taken of my car a couple of months ago and found one shot that has the muffler. It looks very similar to one posted by samsag12. I dont know if it was the original one or not. But, with that muffler, the car almost did not have any sound at all. Car sounded like an 800 or an OMNI even at high revs (reason I changed it to a sports muffler). It has gives a better sound now. Pic was taken using a mobile phone, hence the quality isnt very good.
Attached Thumbnails
The lovely Premier Padmini S1 (Fiat 1100-D)-01112009082.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 4th January 2010 at 13:53.
Old 4th January 2010, 14:04   #156
Senior - BHPian

The pic of the muffler that you posted I doubt if it is an original one. By the way which model of Premier Padmini had this ? It seems it is some older model Pre 1990s
Please tell me one thing that if the engine of the car is consuming oil then what is the effect of it on the catalytic converter (PP S1). Does it get damaged or remains unaffected. The oil can be seen in the tail pipe of the car. So i am a little worried about it.
Old 4th January 2010, 14:36   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The pic of the muffler that you posted I doubt if it is an original one. By the way which model of Premier Padmini had this ? It seems it is some older model Pre 1990s
Please tell me one thing that if the engine of the car is consuming oil then what is the effect of it on the catalytic converter (PP S1). Does it get damaged or remains unaffected. The oil can be seen in the tail pipe of the car. So i am a little worried about it.
Sagar,
All such technical questions, please ask in The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread.

Mr. Behram Dhabar(ex-PAL) and Adheesh(Youngest carb tuner) will help you out.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:54   #158
BANNED

Impressive work going on, on Karthik's Padmini. Can't wait to see it on road soon. Hope its ready before 10th of January. S1's exhaust manifold is better than going for custom headers. Dhabhar sir had suggested this to some one in a post by him.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:03   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any one has pics of the original PP S1 muffler?

Also, please throw more light on how the catalytic converter can be preserved for long. Please post some do's and dont's
Old 6th January 2010, 17:20   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Any one has pics of the original PP S1 muffler?

Also, please throw more light on how the catalytic converter can be preserved for long. Please post some do's and dont's
Indeed i am also waiting for the pics of original S1 muffler and Catalytic Converter.
Old 6th January 2010, 18:03   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dug into some of the pics taken of my car a couple of months ago and found one shot that has the muffler. It looks very similar to one posted by samsag12. I dont know if it was the original one or not. But, with that muffler, the car almost did not have any sound at all. Car sounded like an 800 or an OMNI even at high revs (reason I changed it to a sports muffler). It has gives a better sound now. Pic was taken using a mobile phone, hence the quality isnt very good.
Can anyone explain why or how my S1 sounds super smooth if it wasnt on the original muffler? To reiterate, it sounded just like any of the newer cars. With the sports muffler, it still sounds the same at low revs and has higher sound at higher revs, still pretty less compared to a non S1. I havent seen/heard/noticed any other S1's sound properly toll date. Were all S1's exhaust note were considerably low on sound??
Old 6th January 2010, 18:21   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Can anyone explain why or how my S1 sounds super smooth if it wasnt on the original muffler? To reiterate, it sounded just like any of the newer cars. With the sports muffler, it still sounds the same at low revs and has higher sound at higher revs, still pretty less compared to a non S1. I havent seen/heard/noticed any other S1's sound properly toll date. Were all S1's exhaust note were considerably low on sound??
May be the Catalytic Converter is slowly down the velocity of the exhaust gases , hence the gases flow slowly through the muffler and the blasting effect is considerably reduced
Old 6th January 2010, 19:31   #163
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone please post the picture of original PP S1 catalytic converter. In my car I found Nothing in between the muffler and exhaust manifold.Were some S1 models exempted from having Catalytic converter.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:51   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone please post the picture of original PP S1 catalytic converter. In my car I found Nothing in between the muffler and exhaust manifold.Were some S1 models exempted from having Catalytic converter.
When we were buying the car in 1996, we had the option to go for either one with Catalytic converter (for Unleaded petrol only) and the one without it. We went for the CC one, but after some years removed it. It should be lying around somewhere in my house, all rusted by now.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:19   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
When we were buying the car in 1996, we had the option to go for either one with Catalytic converter (for Unleaded petrol only) and the one without it. We went for the CC one, but after some years removed it. It should be lying around somewhere in my house, all rusted by now.
Is it possible to fit Catalytic converter in PP S1 which came without it ?

Btw why did you removed CC from your car ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks