Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 10:25   #61
Team-BHP Support

Well how about this.
I am stopped at a security check post and asked for my License and Registration.
Registration is fine.
My DL is from Chennai.
The really smart cop tells me that I cannot use a Chennai D/L in Hyderabad.

I start laughing.

The really really smart cop comes.
Takes my D/L and shows me the Tamil Nadu written on top of my License.

My laughing gets even louder.

The inspector comes. I stop laughing and tell him to teach his constables some traffic rules before they try to pull a trick on someone.
The inspector apologises and tells me these are new recruits.
Hence they don't know.

As I leave I hear him explain to this idiots.
Miya, Hyderabad main, TN ka DL chalta, Rajasthan ka DL bhi chalta, UP ka ...

I did not wait to listen anymore.
Old 12th August 2008, 14:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
do you think its justified for the amount and kind of work that they have to do? also with the kind of responsibility associated with it??
No body is forcing people to join the police force. I am sure all these policemen know the salary levels and the work expected from them before joining the force. So a low salary is no excuse to take bribes. This is a classic myth propagated by our hindi movies where in there is always a dialogue stating a police man is doing such glorious work at 2500/month salary and the blahs

Anyways the armed forces too have less salary compared to the corporate world. So should they start demanding bribes to guard our borders??

IMHO delinking the political structure from law enforcement would go a long way in making our police forces more professional and accountable.
Old 12th August 2008, 14:21   #63
Team-BHP Support

>No body is forcing people to join the police force.

But by offering lesser money, the system does not get good quality as its input.
Old 12th August 2008, 14:22   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
so are modifications like headers and engine modification illegal??
Yes. as per the MV rules it is illegal. So is re-painting your car in any other color than the one mentioned in the RC book. Unless you take prior permission from the RTO to repaint in the new color and then get ur RC book changed accordingly.

Its illegal to transplant a new/other/modified engine into an existing vehicle. It is illegal to put wide 'balloon' tyres on a stock vehicle. Heck its illegal to even upsize your tyres, because as per law any such modification must be agreed by the vehicle design and performance (VRDE).

If the police actually goes about following the law then most of us will be in some trouble. On paper our MV laws are the most stringent and restrictive.
Old 12th August 2008, 14:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
>No body is forcing people to join the police force.

But by offering lesser money, the system does not get good quality as its input.
I couldnt differ more to your view here. I always assumed that people join the army/police/paramilitary due to their interest in these fields. Didnt know that people would join these fields for the money it offered.

If the actual police selection procedures are followed (similar to the NDA/IMA selection procedures), then 99% of the current force would be left jobless
Old 12th August 2008, 14:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Heck its illegal to even upsize your tyres, because as per law any such modification must be agreed by the vehicle design and performance (VRDE).
Are you sure about this? Would appreciate if you can check out my post#57. My take is that the wheels and tyre size is not given in the RC book, and RTO permission is required only if you make changes which would need to be entered into the RC book (eg. engine capacity etc).

Of course, I may be totally wrong on this.
Old 12th August 2008, 19:39   #67
BHPian

i think, should actually shoot such ppl up . on spot! shoot one, and rest will go honest! thats the only way disciplinary action can be brought to this country - unfortunately. comman man is taken for granted here! imho...
Old 12th August 2008, 20:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys...!! A very old saying...
Old 13th August 2008, 00:48   #69
BHPian

since the 2-2 and a half years that ive been in india..ive gotten stopped a total of 4 times. Once, no deuce...just showed the papers adn went. The other time, got abused by the cop..i had my money out and everything but i finally got off. The third time was the most hillarious. If anyone knows the New BEL Road/Sanjaynagar police station intersection in Bangalore , u'll know the left turn lights are very fast. Unfortunetly i made the left turn just as it was turning red. So the cop flags me down in front of the police station, tries to get me to pay the fine, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda. I was like..what??? after some hewing and hawing he even threatened to make me come inside and pay some more. But then i used my tried and true excuse..."Im a doctor, i have to go to the hospital to see a patient, thats why im rushing" (im a medical student ). And just then, saved by the bell, my phone rings..i tell the cop "oh see look they are calling, i gotta go". And with that i got off. But seriously, these guys are dirty dirty theives. I cannot respect any police officer in india, like i can back home in the US. Why is it like this? Can't the government pay these guys more? Every time i look at a cop i get disgusted :(. Would it kill them to exercise! But since ive had my new bike, havent gotten pulled once...having a "doctor" sticker helps

Most Viewed