Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2006, 00:08   #1
jat
BHPian

Accident due to fog+tiredness?

Recently, newspapers reported about a family of six killed in a road accident while returning after visiting Vaishno Devi. The news was that it was hit and run case by a truck. But when I pondered over the case and on a discussion with a guy who had visited Vaishno Devi, I felt that the people killed could be blamed equally. They were travelling with six fully grown adults in M800. The weather is generally foggy during this time of year where visisbility sometimes come down to few metres. Was it safe to do so? I mean travelling in such conditions.

And the worst part was explained to me by the guy who had travelled to Vaisho Devi himself in a car. That guy on the return trip realised that due to long trek, his legs were so tired, that legs were not at all responding to his command. He realised that it was going to be too dangerous while driving in such tired condition, and took a break with his legs being massaged to recover. When he found that it was safe enough to drive, then only he took to driving. Next time he took the bus.

Everywhere people discuss about drunken driving, but very few people discuss the driving conditions when driver is really tired. What is your opinion?

RK
Old 16th January 2006, 00:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its unfortunate than an entire family perished in the incident. Like you said, they themselves are to blame for taking on too much - you cant trek up and down a mountain and then drive long distance.

We have a similar mountain shrine in Kerala called Sabarimala, the abode of Lord Ayyappa. As far as I know, NOBODY drives their car to the base camp themselves. We always hire a driver or better still hire a cab - the climb down is extremely demanding on your legs, especially the calf muscles that tend to give way pretty soon. Since you use your calf muscles most when you drive, its suicidal to climb down a mountain and then drive.

I normally hire a room in the nearest hotel/lodge and sleep for a couple of hours if I feel tired - it may cost a few hundred bucks, but your life is obviously worth much more. While returning from Bangalore recently, I stopped at a wayside hotel in Gundlepet to sleep as the effects of the previous night's beer with Nitin and three long nights out with Psycho & gang were taking effect.

However, this is not advisable when you travel with family, as one doesnt know the antecedents of every hotel on the way...what do you do then? My friends up north say they wont stop for ANYTHING on the highway, as one never knows what might happen.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th January 2006 at 00:25.
Old 16th January 2006, 00:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its true about not stopping for anyone on highways. Several years ago a relative saw someone had been knocked down and was lying injured in the middle of the road. Being a good samaritan he put the guy in his car and took him to hospital. Low and behold the man came round and had the nerve to demand money off my relative for knocking him over. Such dirty scheming buggers means that now we never stop for anyone.

Most Viewed