Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 20:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet Spark model variants Rejigged 2011

2011 Chevrolet Spark
  • Chevrolet has rejigged the entire spark lineup. In 2009, the lineup hained a haphazard instrument cluster with a push button tacho, digital temp and fuel gauges and a battery volt meter, all of which is stuffed in one cluster and is carried over. Not so good from safety perspective.
  • Spark had 4 variants, that is spark base, spark PS, spark LS, spark LT and spark LT with ABS, driver airbag and alloys.
  • Now the spark PS and spark LT with ABS, driver airbag and alloys is discontinued.
  • 2011 MY Spark with AC and manual steering is the new base model, spark LS is the mid level variant. Rear parcel tray deleted from LS.
  • Spark LT is the top end model. It gains a 2 DIN USB MP3 CD Aux-in stereo with 4 speakers but sadly, rear wiper (), side protection moulding and body coloured door handles and mirrors are deleted.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th April 2011 at 10:38. Reason: Info on Fiesta Classic moved to the Fiesta Classic discussion thread. Thanks
Old 4th April 2011, 20:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Spark model variants Rejigged 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
2011 Chevrolet Spark
  • Now the spark PS and spark LT with ABS, driver airbag and alloys is discontinued.
  • Spark LT is the top end model. It gains a 2 DIN USB MP3 CD Aux-in stereo with 4 speakers but sadly, rear wiper (), side protection moulding and body coloured door handles and mirrors are deleted.
Stopping the Spark PS is a bad move. The pricing was just right for people on a budget but still want PS and AC. Spark LT with ABS and airbag was a dud from the beginning due to its high price. So good they did away with that model.

The features deleted from the LT is confusing. Rear wiper, for god sakes. And no body colored handles and mirrors on the top end variant. Are there price cuts to justify the deletion of features.
Old 4th April 2011, 20:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have no idea about Mumbai pricing comparison then and now so cannot comment but the dealer claimed that prices were dropped.
Old 4th April 2011, 21:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2011 Chevrolet Spark
  • Chevrolet has rejigged the entire spark lineup. In 2009, the lineup hained a haphazard instrument cluster with a push button tacho, digital temp and fuel gauges and a battery volt meter, all of which is stuffed in one cluster and is carried over. Not so good from safety perspective.
  • Spark had 4 variants, that is spark base, spark PS, spark LS, spark LT and spark LT with ABS, driver airbag and alloys.
  • 2011 MY Spark with AC and manual steering is the new base model, spark LS is the mid level variant. Rear parcel tray deleted from LS.
Is the recent camouflaged offers on Spark a prelude to this new rejig, to clear the stock? Or is this one the new variants.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th April 2011 at 21:44.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Ford Fiesta Classic

More things taken off from Spark LT. the list goes in as

- rear wash and wiper
- rear fog lamps
- parcel tray
- body coloured rear view mirror, door handles and tail gate handle
- 60:40 split seat
- rear fog lamps
- rear seat adjustable head rest
-Side moulding

saw couple of old sparks in the dealer yard at trivandrum.. but then he said its already sold to some one at a higher rate
Old 5th April 2011, 11:28   #6
BHPian

May be this strip down version of SPARK is to catch the ALTO or WAGON market

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th April 2011 at 10:18. Reason: Fiesta Classic discussion moved to the Fiesta Classic Thread. Please continue the discussion there. Thanks
Old 5th April 2011, 11:38   #7
BHPian

Mustang had confirmed in another thread that the Fiesta classic prices is going to be similar to the current fiesta's prices and there will not be a lot of discounting compared to what is currently available.

So not sure if the reduced price is really true.
Old 5th April 2011, 12:52   #8
BHPian

[quote=sidindica;2302485]Ford Fiesta Classic[list]
So, this is a move by GM to directly target the Alto?? In addition to this, I feel they should start a massive ad campaign comparing the fuel costs of the Spark LPG vs. the Alto Pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Stopping the Spark PS is a bad move. The pricing was just right for people on a budget but still want PS and AC. Spark LT with ABS and airbag was a dud from the beginning due to its high price. So good they did away with that model.
On the contrary, I did see quite a few Spark LTs selling, and on the roads, in fact, more than Spark LSes and Std.s, in the 1st one year after the spark was launched. It was only after the PS variant was introduced that I actually saw next to no new LTs. This was a bad move by GM. They could've reduced it's price by cost cutting, or at least have worked it out as the Spark LS + Rear Wiper + ABS + Fogs + Body color stuff , minus the driver airbag, alloys and other stuff.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th April 2011 at 10:39. Reason: Content on Fiesta classic moved to Fiesta Classic thread. Thanks
Old 5th April 2011, 14:01   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The primary reason for the Spark reshuffle is that it's eating into the Beat; heck, over recent months, the Spark has outsold (or sold on par with) the Beat. This is GM's way to position the Spark as a no-frills entry-level hatch, and the Beat for those who want all the bells & whistles. Similar to the Santro & the i10.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:49   #10
BHPian

Absolutely second GTO's observations.

When i was scouting through GM dealers for the best deal on a BEAT PS, I noticed the following:

Customers walking in for a 3.5k hatch were initially hooked to the exteriors of the Beat's base model, but at the end, found the interiors of the Spark LS to be more attractive and feature rich. Fact was, gadget & upholstery wise the Spark LS scored over the Beat PS and was priced lower. The rear bench of the Spark is also better than the Beat across all variants in my opinion, so made more sense for the prospective chauffeur driven customers.
Be it the front power windows, day night IRVM, Beige Interiors with fabric inserts on the door panel, fabric seats, etc. the Spark LS provided that bit more premium/upmarket feel.
Even the sales rep at one GM dealership tried his best to convince me that the Spark LS was way better value than the basic Beat i was pursuing.
Stripping down the Spark seemed to be the smartest thing to do to push the sales of the Beat. I think GM has decided that the Beat has to be its mainstay in India.
Also, i think even a stripped down Spark would still feel more premium/upmarket than the Alto and Santro, and with a similar/lower price tag it may entice a few more customers in that segment.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:51   #11
BHPian

This could also be a move as a prelude to the introduction of Beat Diesel variant. To Compete with Figo Diesel, they have to price the Beat diesel competitively. To avoid cannibalization from spark, the are stripping and moving the Spark as a pure entry level car. I think the move is good. btw, I feel lucky to own a spark PS.

Still remember the Swift Petrol which was struggling to sell initially was boosted by the sales effect of Swift Diesel.
GM too expects the same effect

Last edited by shineshine : 5th April 2011 at 17:53.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:59   #12
BHPian

Its a good move from Chevrolet to rejig the models. It ll definitely boost the sales of spark. Advantage new buyers.
However, its a letdown for spark owners with all the price variations. The resale value will definitely take a beating.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Its a good move from Chevrolet to rejig the models. It ll definitely boost the sales of spark. Advantage new buyers.
However, its a letdown for spark owners with all the price variations. The resale value will definitely take a beating.
I think the other way. Most of the people in the user car market will not mind to pay a huge difference for the bells and whistles. I have the witnessed the same with my previous car Palio which was a PS version.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still remember the Swift Petrol which was struggling to sell initially was boosted by the sales effect of Swift Diesel
You may want to double check on that. The Swift never struggled with any kind of sales. The petrol (which was the only version available earlier) had waiting of 6 months. The diesel merely doubled the sales. Swift is one of the few cars on which each engine (old or new) has been a cracker
Old 5th April 2011, 18:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
On the contrary, I did see quite a few Spark LTs selling, and on the roads, in fact, more than Spark LSes and Std.s, in the 1st one year after the spark was launched.
I guess i was not clear in my previous post. Its the Spark LT(O) which is the option pack which comes with the Airbag and ABS. This is the variant which hardly sold as it was priced at par with Swift Lxi and its now being discontinued. Of course LT and LS has sold in decent numbers since its introduction. But Spark PS was a good value proposition in terms of money v/s feature list.

Agree with GTO that its a tactic by GM to increase the Beat sales and also to ensure Beat Diesel can be priced competitively.

Most Viewed