Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 12:43   #1
BHPian

Bolero Limited Edition: Is it really required ?

Yesterday I saw that M&M has launched new Limited Edition Bolero and it was priced 80K above the normal model. Its just got few additions like mesh, leather seats, stickers, alloys and few cosmetic stuff.

But I was wondering, will a segment leader like Bolero which has a monthly sales of over 8k, require such kind of promotions and gimmicks ? Or is there is different reason behind it ?

Edit: While I was thinking about another reason, I thought these cosmetic facelifts could have been made to appeal the urban crowd. But will the urban crowd really be interested in this type of facelift ?? I think the urban crowd would be more interested if Boleros are offered with refreshed interiors and 4x4 optional along with safety features like ABS and Airbags. Isn't it ?

Cheers,
rajesh

Last edited by 2500cc : 5th April 2011 at 12:49.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bolero Limited Edition: Is it really required ?

Can we have a picture of the limited edition please? I would be happy to see some interior changes too.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:06   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

In my opinion all this cosmetic "tarting up" is a complete and utter waste of time.

I think that only someone possessed of a combination of an XXXL size wallet and marked attention seeking "poseur" characteristics could possibly find some appeal in these silly "beautification" attempts on the part of the M&M designers and hence, plonk down substantial cash to buy one.

Mere "form", without being substantiated and bolstered by "function" is not what the consumer expects from a vehicle like a Jeep/Bolero/Scorpio etc. Also, at the risk of being un-charitable, the M&M design chaps seem to be major aficionados of the "bling thing" - they are cursed with rather questionable taste, in my opinion.

Repeatedly inflicting this kind of thing, in tackily re-vitalized, re-vamped avatars, on the poor un-suspecting public smacks, in some sense, of being the unkindest cut of all.

If only they would do something solid with that vehicle in terms of equipage, safety and functionality!!

I have aired this point of view quite frequently on our Forum as well as via letter to several of the auto magazines and email to various people in authority at M&M - but sadly, it appears, to no avail.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In my opinion all this cosmetic "tarting up" is a complete and utter waste of time.

I think that only someone possessed of a combination of an XXXL size wallet and marked attention seeking "poseur" characteristics could possibly find some appeal in these silly "beautification" attempts on the part of the M&M designers and hence, plonk down substantial cash to buy one.

Mere "form", without being substantiated and bolstered by "function" is not what the consumer expects from a vehicle like a Jeep/Bolero/Scorpio etc. Also, at the risk of being un-charitable, the M&M design chaps seem to be major aficionados of the "bling thing" - they are cursed with rather questionable taste, in my opinion.

Repeatedly inflicting this kind of thing, in tackily re-vitalized, re-vamped avatars, on the poor un-suspecting public smacks, in some sense, of being the unkindest cut of all.

If only they would do something solid with that vehicle in terms of equipage, safety and functionality!!

I have aired this point of view quite frequently on our Forum as well as via letter to several of the auto magazines and email to various people in authority at M&M - but sadly, it appears, to no avail.
Summed it up perfectly. Maybe the success of Bolero has gone to their head. They have forgotten that Bolero is not being bought by family man, but by the canon ball run rural operators, who load it to the gills with people at least twice the legal capacity. It sounds like a tractor, appears like a poorly designed metal box and interiors are pathetic in fit, finish and design.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:25   #5
BHPian

Is this the Limited Edition?

Source: Flickr
Attached Thumbnails
Bolero Limited Edition: Is it really required ?-5226257092_0893a3bd3c_b.jpg  

Bolero Limited Edition: Is it really required ?-5225661041_ff836c85e9_b.jpg  

Old 5th April 2011, 13:36   #6
BHPian

@amtak: you can find the list of upgrades along with the pics at Mahindra Bolero

@shankar: we seriously expect functional upgrades over a cosmetic upgrades.

Actually, they can experiment by these limited editions, by offering various functional upgrades to check which limited edition clicks. By the sales they get to know the market pulse.

The current price of Bolero LE is 80K over the normal ones, so instead of giving the leather seats and all that crap, they could plonk 4WD from the current Thar, which I think will justify the 80k.

M&M: please think something in these lines. Bolero is in the market for more than 10yrs now, soon people will be bored of its boring interiors and non-functional jeep like structure yaar, Please come up with a new USP for the people to buy Bolero, before its too late.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Last edited by 2500cc : 5th April 2011 at 13:40.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:39   #7
BHPian

Dont know much about the general consensus, but I like it!.

Bolera has always been a handsome vehicle to own and if it can put on a bit of aesthetic makeup along with the luxury feel thrown in at the factory itself, its a bonus. Further to that, the changes dont seem brash or ill in application as per the pics above.

Form sometimes does indirectly add function - at-least to the owner's soul if not the product itself, ask the Swedes on how its perfected .
Old 5th April 2011, 13:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
Is this the Limited Edition?

Source: Flickr
@?ushk@r: The one which you have shown is made from the Mahindra's Customization department and this is different. One which am talk about is here

Last edited by 2500cc : 5th April 2011 at 13:46.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

OK so can we get the 4WD version on the Bolero Storm? Now this will be a serious Contender.

4WD,Hard Top,Cheap to buy and use.This just might be the best cheap 4WD ever in india.

So whats the price?

EDIT:just found out that the Special edition is NOT a CRDE but a DI engined jeep.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 5th April 2011 at 13:51.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

One question here ...

Is bolero having Immobiliser in it? For urban crowd i guess that's also a very necessary feature. With increasing car thefts in big cities, i guess every car must have immobiliser in it from manufacturer only. I know its not 100% safe but at least it can prevent from common thief's

I am sure Mahindra cars are more popular in car thefts as these cars are sold in rural areas more in the second market where people are ready to buy.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:50   #11
BHPian

Firstly, the car is called the Bolero Special Edition. The Limited Edition, as pointed out by 2500cc is made by the customization department.

The Special Edition is limited to a 1000 only. I don't see anything special frankly. Stupid graphics is all I see, and yes leather seats. They should've upgraded the safety features if they had to!

The Bolero is better off when termed rugged, not sophisticated. A Bolero's appeal lies in its simplicity. I can't fathom why Mahindra made this move.

EDIT: I think this is the second time the *Special Edition* is being launched. Some digging got me this, linky. The Special Edition was released at the end of 2008.

Cheers!
Cartman.

Last edited by Cartman : 5th April 2011 at 14:55.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:55   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hi
Expecting Functional Upgrades over Cosmetic Upgrades - I totally agree and that is what Ive tried to say in a slightly over-colourful manner in my post!

But expecting is one thing and getting it is another - especially from M&M.

I think they need to sit up and take notice of what their loyal consumers are saying!

They seem to be proceeding inexorably along the "bling wagon" route, paying scant attention to the equipage, safety and functional aspects of their vehicles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
@shankar: we seriously expect functional upgrades over a cosmetic upgrades.
Rajesh
Old 5th April 2011, 15:23   #13
AWD
BHPian

If we dig up the forum & go through some old posts, many who are commenting otherwise now had completely different views. They were not ready to even listen what they are themselves reiterating now. While some gave No. of sales as a wise excuse for MM to stick to their strategy. Now, what happened suddenly for them to change their views completely!

Is it that they feel that when their upper-story starts working, its time for a manufacturer to wake up!
Old 5th April 2011, 15:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
If we dig up the forum & go through some old posts, many who are commenting otherwise now had completely different views. They were not ready to even listen what they are themselves reiterating now. While some gave No. of sales as a wise excuse for MM to stick to their strategy. Now, what happened suddenly for them to change their views completely!

Is it that they feel that when their upper-story starts working, its time for a manufacturer to wake up!

Bolero is a very competent vehicle in its class which suffers step motherly treatment from its manufacturers.

Bolero doesn't get the functional upgrades (4WD, ABS, etc)
Bolero doesn't get the better interiors (10yrs since its launch and no major changes to the interiors)

Check what previous Bolero owners like Shankar.Balan, Milecruncher, MudMover, Rocky, josepeter have told about this beast

This is the answer that you get from many of the other owners on this forum or elsewhere except the rural crowd.
Old 5th April 2011, 15:49   #15
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Bolero is a very competent vehicle in its class
W.r.t to Sales only!

Quote:
Bolero doesn't get the functional upgrades (4WD, ABS, etc)
Bolero doesn't get the better interiors
Is Innova the yardstick! Then perhaps nothing less than a completely new platform would do!

Quote:
Check what previous Bolero owners have told about this beast
Newer owners have been candid enough maybe because they have tried contemporary vehicles but the older owners seemed hell bent on not wanting anything to improve/change. Seems even they are trying new/modern vehicles now.

Quote:
except the rural crowd.
& that forms the major sales chunk. I don't see a case for a Bolero(in the present form) from an Enthusiasts perspective. Not at all, not in hell!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks