Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:38   #16
BHPian

re: On driving a new car before getting the RC book

I am planning to go on a weekend sujourn from Bangalore to Kerala via Salem, so crossing two state boundaries. And I am yet to get the RC smart card.

I did speak to the dealer but he said they dont give any letter stating vehicle sold. Of course I will be carrying the a) original invoice b) original tax paid receipt c) original insurance papers.

Just a little apprehensive about the situation. Or do you think this is risky still?
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

If you have the proper number plates, it should be fine. Carry the original delivery note, invoice & insurance papers. Should be no risk at all.
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:21   #18
BHPian

Thanks. This comes as relief.

Also I heard something about a registration submitted counterfoil from the RTO. Is this required. I did not receive this from the dealer.
Old 17th April 2015, 10:27   #19
BHPian

MUMBAI RTO - Andheri - RC Card not received more than 6 months

Hello Friends ,
I have bought the new Hyundai Elite i20 in October 2014, The dealer has completed all required formalities for registration with the Andheri RTO. I have been allotted registration number MH02DS3426 in October 2014. We have paid all charges and duly received confirmation SMS from the Andheri RTO. Its been more than 6months now, i have not yet received the RC Card.

I have made more than 6 visits to the Andheri RTO new registration department,

There are no staff members working there, whenever i get someone there, they check my entry and tell me that i will receive the RC card in a month via post. Everytime they give the same reply. Most of the times no one seems to work there even during working hours.

Any other Team BHP members facing same problem? My dealer seems helpless here and is telling me that his 200 other customers are facing same problem?
ANy Team BHP members who have bought new cars and have registered cars @ Mumbai Andheri West? Have you received RC Cards. ?

Look forward to some advice here

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2015 at 11:42. Reason: Trust me, you don't want your cell number publicly listed on a large forum :)
Old 17th April 2015, 10:43   #20
BHPian

Re: MUMBAI RTO - Andheri - RC Card not received more than 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelhemals View Post
Hello Friends ,
I have bought the new Hyundai Elite i20 in October 2014...
...ANy Team BHP members who have bought new cars and have registered cars @ Mumbai Andheri West? Have you received RC Cards. ?

Look forward to some advice here
Not for a new car, but I faced the same problem when I bought a second-hand car. The RC card took ages to come. On multiple enquiries, they would provide one excuse or another, such as the insurance copy has been misplaced, the smart cards are out of stock, they're awaiting the NOC, etc. etc. and they'd say you will receive it by post in a couple of weeks. Finally, my dad sought out the senior-most officer at the RTO and gave him a piece of his mind. The guy then called up some clerk and told him that the papers should be processed immediately and assured my dad that we would receive the card by post in a couple of weeks. And I guess it then came in a week or two. By that time, it was already around six months since I'd bought the car.
Old 17th April 2015, 11:47   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelhemals View Post
There are no staff members working there, whenever i get someone there, they check my entry and tell me that i will receive the RC card in a month via post. Everytime they give the same reply. Most of the times no one seems to work there even during working hours.
Lodge a complaint with full details on pgportal and watch how the wheels start turning - related thread.

Please also post your experiences on that thread so that it helps others.
Old 8th June 2015, 08:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lodge a complaint with full details on pgportal and watch how the wheels start turning - related thread.

Please also post your experiences on that thread so that it helps others.
Hello Friends,
Its been more than 6 months now, i am still awaiting my RC book or card from the Mumbai Andheri RTO office. Have bought the car in October 2014, and registered around 27th Oct 14.

They do not answer to my queries at all, every time i visit there, i am told to wait for hours and hours together, finally when the guy at the counter reaches , he checks the status and tells me that it is under process and it will reach me in a month.
I have tried to complain to the higher authorities but it seems the Andheri RTO is a complete chaos and no one seems to work there.
Is anybody facing similar problems? has anyone else bought a new car in the last six months in the mumbai suburbs?? have you received your RC card or book? Please help.
I have also sent a complain to PGPORTAL no response yet.
will appreciate a few comments.
Old 8th September 2015, 09:57   #23
BHPian

RC Extract. Is it Valid ?

Hi,

I purchased my car in first week of Jan 2015, registered at Kalyan RTO (MH 05).. However, I have still not received the RC book, neither I have received any SMS from RTO about the same being dispatched.

After not receiving the RC book even after 7 months, visited the RTO office. They gave some reasons like, there is a court case going on between the Smart card vendor and government and hence the delay. After so much of persuading and talking to the main RTO officer personally, they issued me a one page print out, which they called as "RC extract" with stamp and signature of the RTO. It contains all information about the car like engine number, chassis number, registration number etc. They also said that i can drive the car anywhere in India based on this document. Now my question is if this document is sufficient then why the RC book is required? Also what is the legal validity of this RC extract? (Can I take my car across states based on this document ? ) Or is it just a way to silence the aggrieved car owners?
Old 8th September 2016, 11:57   #24
BHPian

Is it permitted (hassle-free) to travel across states without NOT YET issued RC ?

Mod(s) - I tried searching but couldn't find this discussion. Please merge if required.

Hi members,

So, even after four months of getting my car registered, I am yet to receive the RC from pune RTO, due to shortage of paper/stationery. I paid a visit to the RTO yesterday and told them about my plans to take the car to various states and requested officers to atleast provide me with some paper/letter as a backup. The request was politely turned down. I was however, able to take a photo from their computer screen, which reflects RC status as "not yet printed".

I am quite sure (may be wrong) that it won't be a problem since I have all the other documents and I am not at any fault here, but considering the interstate relationships of our authorities, I am skeptical. I have seen cops drooling on seeing outside vehicles and don't have time to face that situation.

I need your suggestions/experience in this regard. Is it really a thing I am getting worried about ? What extra precautions/papers can I take to make this as smooth as possible ? The travel dates would be from 25th Sept to 24th Oct covering states of MP, RAJ, DEL, HAR, UK, HP.

Thanks for your valuable time. TK

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 8th September 2016 at 12:17. Reason: adding note for MOD(s)
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:06   #25
BHPian

Re: Is it permitted (hassle-free) to travel across states without NOT YET issued RC ?

It is permitted as far as you are not stopped for any traffic violation or just because you are in an out of state vehicle. They will not impound your vehicle or something like that, but definitely you will have to lose some money to make them let you go. It will be difficult to convince them that Pune RTO could not issue your RC because they do not have stationary.
Engine_Roars is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Re: Is it permitted (hassle-free) to travel across states without NOT YET issued RC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
What extra precautions/papers can I take to make this as smooth as possible ?
I would advice you to take a letter from the dealer stating that the RC is still not issued due to 'god knows why' reasons with their seal and signature. You can produce this to the cops if you are intercepted.

Nevertheless, you are free to take the car to other states without RC as long as you have other detailed documents such as;

1. Sale receipt
2. Delivery note
3. Insurance copy
4. Driver's license
5. Signed check list given to you at the time delivery stating RC is still not issued
6. Other receipts or letters that were issued by the dealer
7. Contact number/business card of a representative from the dealer (to acknowledge the delay in RC just in case if you are stopped by the cops)

In a typical manner, have a copy of all the above documents in a large folder. When the cops ask you to produce the documents, take out the papers one after the other slowly in an effort to be as detailed as possible and they just might leave you out of impatience.

On the flip side, I am wondering why would you go to RTO directly when it is the dealer's responsibility to get the registration done? 4 months for stationery

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 8th September 2016 at 12:22. Reason: Added few suggestions
petrolhead_chn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:

So, even after four months of getting my car registered, I am yet to receive the RC from pune RTO, due to shortage of paper/stationery. I paid a visit to the RTO yesterday and told them about my plans to take the car to various states and requested officers to atleast provide me with some paper/letter as a backup. The request was politely turned down. I was however, able to take a photo from their computer screen, which reflects RC status as "not yet printed".
I got my car registered 5 months back at MH14 RTO and I still have not received any updates from RTO and dealer both. Every time I contact them, the same stationary issue is given to me. I tried raising complaints on Maha RTO by writing them email, but still no response. This week I have tweeted this to @PuneRTO @DRaote @CMOMaharashtra with #MH14RTO, lets see whether my tweet will be even noticed by them.

You can try one thing, VAHAN SMS facility has updates on registration. I checked mine and I can see my details in SMS with owner name and car details (colour, engine, fuel, hypothetication and road tax details). I believe this can act as document for you whenever you are caught.

VAHAN MH14FMXXXX --> 7738299899 (You will receive SMS with details. SMS response might get delayed but comes for sure)

Hope this helps.
varunswnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:43   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, even after four months of getting my car registered, I am yet to receive the RC from pune RTO, due to shortage of paper/stationery.
The moment I saw the thread title, I knew you had to be from Pune; such is the state of affairs.

I am waiting on the RC for my ~3 month old EcoSport and Activa as well. I don't think they've even registered either of these vehicles as a query on Vahan comes back with "Vehicle Details not Found".

RTO will definitely not give you a written declaration that the RC is pending because of such trivial issues (lack of stationary!).

On my trip to Goa, I crossed through Karnataka and Goa and armed myself with the following:

1) Tax Certificate from RTO
2) Registeration Receipt from RTO
3) Tax Invoice from the dealer
4) Debit note from the dealer
5) Insurance

All the above documents carry the VIN and of course, there's no document that ties the reg. no. to the VIN, so hope is all we have.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th September 2016 at 12:46.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 14:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
It is permitted as far as you are not stopped for any traffic violation
I agree with Engine_Roars. As long as you are careful to not cause any traffic violations it should be fine.

Another thing, Keep all the toll tickets with you just in case to prove to the cops that you just arrived in the city and have not been living there without paying the road tax. Had heard this was something that the Bangalore police was using to fine outstation cars sometime back.

I took my car to MH, AP and Karnataka with my Telengana Temp registration and was not stopped even though there was no registration plate on the car. Bangalore cops are well known for their antics with outstation cars. I also faced a similar delay with my cars RC, The reason given was that the Depot where all the RC cards are stored caught fire . This was the same reason provided when there was a delay with the number plates as well.

Last edited by mangespat : 8th September 2016 at 14:12. Reason: Missed a point, Error in one of the sentences
mangespat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 14:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

You will definitely have the receipt from the RTO with regards to tax and a challan for the smart card. As long as you have that there are no issues. No one gets their RC before 2 months, so that doesn't mean you cannot drive outside your state before 2 months.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed