Team-BHP - On driving a new car before getting the RC book
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   On driving a new car before getting the RC book (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/99236-driving-new-car-before-getting-rc-book.html)

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Mods please move it to whereever its appropriate.

I am taking delivery of my New Scoprio SLE tomorrow(8/4) and am planning a trip to Tirupati and Chennai day after tomorrow(9/4). While taking delivery I would be provided with the Tax token and Insurance cover note. But I will be getting the RC book only within 15 days. I would like to know whether there is any issues in driving the same to other states? Please help

Thanks
Sudheer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheermenon (Post 2305620)
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Mods please move it to whereever its appropriate.

I am taking delivery of my New Scoprio SLE tomorrow(8/4) and am planning a trip to Tirupati and Chennai day after tomorrow(9/4). While taking delivery I would be provided with the Tax token and Insurance cover note. But I will be getting the RC book only within 15 days. I would like to know whether there is any issues in driving the same to other states? Please help

Thanks
Sudheer

Hi Sudheer,
Congratulations on the Scorp ! Wonderful purchase.
Since I went through the same process just last month can share the experience.
Carry a copy and the original of the tax token, registration submission token and insurance cover note. Carry a copy of the purchase invoice.
By way of abundant precaution I had also carried a certificate from the dealer that it was to certify...blah blah...that you had purchased a vehicle from them (details)and that the papers are under process etc etc and that you are travelling across states etc.

But of course in my sojourn not even once was I stopped anywhere - but better take precautions before you move. Also ensure you have the manufacturers original PUC certificate/sticker.
Have a great trip.

I assume that they have registered the vehicle and given you the proper set of number plates for it.

If so, please carry all the original invoices of purchase, the insurance cover note/certificate and of course the tax paid receipt with you.

These are sufficient to show to any authority in case it is required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guderian (Post 2305670)
Hi Sudheer,
Carry a copy and the original of the tax token, registration submission token and insurance cover note. Carry a copy of the purchase invoice.
Also ensure you have the manufacturers original PUC certificate/sticker.
Have a great trip.

Firstly congratulations on your buy. Scorpio is my dream machine and in fact im planning for it in the coming 6 months. I agree with was advice has been given above.
1.A copy of purchase invoice.
2.Original of Tax paid.
3.A copy of Insurace policy.

Eagerly waiting for the pictures of your vehicle and also the buying experience. Wish you happy miles in advance with the beast. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guderian (Post 2305670)
Hi Sudheer,
By way of abundant precaution I had also carried a certificate from the dealer that it was to certify...blah blah...that you had purchased a vehicle from them (details)and that the papers are under process etc etc and that you are travelling across states etc.

But of course in my sojourn not even once was I stopped anywhere - but better take precautions before you move. Also ensure you have the manufacturers original PUC certificate/sticker.
Have a great trip.

Thanks Guderian. Is there a separate token for registration?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 2305672)
I assume that they have registered the vehicle and given you the proper set of number plates for it.

If so, please carry all the original invoices of purchase, the insurance cover note/certificate and of course the tax paid receipt with you.

These are sufficient to show to any authority in case it is required.

Shankar, I will be getting the numbers but not the RC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Murx (Post 2305705)
Firstly congratulations on your buy. Scorpio is my dream machine and in fact im planning for it in the coming 6 months. I agree with was advice has been given above.
1.A copy of purchase invoice.
2.Original of Tax paid.
3.A copy of Insurace policy.

Eagerly waiting for the pictures of your vehicle and also the buying experience. Wish you happy miles in advance with the beast. :thumbs up

Thanks David. Scorp was a dream for me too which I have realised now. Hope to see your also in TB soon. I will post detailed review with pics soon

Will you be driving with the proper number plates fixed on the car or those temporary FOR REGN paper stickers?

If your dealer has already registered the vehicle he should give you the proper number plates within 48 hours. (He has to have already registered the vehicle if you are expecting the RC in 15 days).

So as per my experience, if you've got the foll you're good to go;
1. Pucca number plates fixed on the vehicle.
2. Purchase invoice/ documents
3. Insurance Cover Note
4. RoadTax receipt

But put max pressure on them to get you the RC Book asap. I guess with the elections etc coming up in Kerala there may be delays but normally it takes about one week to receive the Original RC Book from the RTO through the Dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheermenon (Post 2305720)
Shankar, I will be getting the numbers but not the RC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 2305738)
Will you be driving with the proper number plates fixed on the car or those temporary FOR REGN paper stickers?

If your dealer has already registered the vehicle he should give you the proper number plates within 48 hours. (He has to have already registered the vehicle if you are expecting the RC in 15 days).

So as per my experience, if you've got the foll you're good to go;
1. Pucca number plates fixed on the vehicle.
2. Purchase invoice/ documents
3. Insurance Cover Note
4. RoadTax receipt

But put max pressure on them to get you the RC Book asap. I guess with the elections etc coming up in Kerala there may be delays but normally it takes about one week to receive the Original RC Book from the RTO through the Dealer.

Shankar, I will get the number plates for sure. I believe now a days RTOs are sending the RC by registered post to owner and not through the dealer

lovely.
have a great time!
also - in Kerala nowadays are they giving you the new Smart Card type RC or is it the old book type thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheermenon (Post 2305740)
Shankar, I will get the number plates for sure. I believe now a days RTOs are sending the RC by registered post to owner and not through the dealer

The laminated card type, but still we call it RC book he he

thanks. all the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheermenon (Post 2305753)
The laminated card type, but still we call it RC book he he

Hi Sudheer,

Congratulation on the new Scorpio. The documents you need to keep handy are already listed in the above posts. Apart from them I would advise to keep the owner's manual, warranty papers and the help line numbers handy. Details of the dealer's contact nos would be helpful.

Hope you have a great journey. Happy mile crunching and drive safely.:thumbs up

I have also driven a new car across State borders without RC book/card but only after getting the number plate. The documents our friends have suggested is more than enough, no one can stop you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheermenon (Post 2305620)
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Sudheer

Hi Sudheer,
Congrats on your new Scorpio. I was in a similar situation after getting my Figo. I moved to Bangalore from Kerala and didn't have my RC or insurance. I was stopped by the cops. I showed them the tax token and insurance cover note and the cop checking didn't seem to have a clue! He asked for an emission certificate with barely a glance at the papers I gave! I explainedthat it didnt need one as it was just 2 days old. He looked disappointed and let me go!

Docs suggested by others here is more than enough,
Nobody will check you in the Tirupati sector, new cars reaching TTD-Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams to seek the blessing of the Lord is pretty common, but watch out in Chennai(40 or 50km/hour speed limit in city), most cops try to target Karnataka cars, but if you speak fluent Tamil you can manage to wriggle out of any such situation.
Congrats on your new car, May the truck ride the TTD hills roads often like my car does every month.
Namo Venkatesha

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs. I am eagerly waiting for my trip to Tirupati on my new possession. I will update once I am back after the trip