Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chevy Cruze now available with 'All Black' interiors

Guys,

I came across a newspaper ad in TOI which stated that the Cruze is now available with 'All Black' interiors instead of the 'odd colour' combination interiors of the earlier car. Here's a link for the same Chevrolet Cruze India, Chevy Cruze India, Cruze Chevrolet India

Personally, I welcome this move. I think that more prevalent Black-Beige two tone combo looks good in cars with a more luxurious feel like Jetta/Laura/Civic with rich materials and textures to boast of. The Cruze on the other hand, although in the same segment, is more of 'brute machine' which is bought by people as a VFM purchase. It is more of a rugged machine than a luxury car. Thus, black interiors go better with it. Also, the earlier version seemed to have different versions of 'grey' instead of black-beige. The new coloured interior makes the Cruze feel more brute and sporty, which is welcome change in the plethora of cars boasting of light coloured interiors.

NOTE TO CAR MAKERS: Can you stop following the 'Market research Company's recommendations' blindly? At least not make those recommendations as general rule. For e.g.

1. Indians love light coloured interiors: They do but it needs to gel with the car's personality as well. Please stop giving cars light coloured interiors just for the heck of it.
2. Stop putting unnecessary garish chrome in every car at every possible point.

The list is endless but I don't want to divulge from the topic. What do you guys think? Does the new Cruze look better or worse with black coloured interiors.

Note to MODS: Merge this post with an earlier discussion, if found duplicate
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 17:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Chevy Cruze now available with 'All Black' interiors

Yes Abhi the 2011 Cruze does come with all black interiors, USB and Bluetooth. I havent seen a real image of the same. All we have see so far is the image they have on there website which will not reveal the real look of the cabin as its a highly glossed up image.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:09   #3
BHPian

Here are some pics of the Black interiors.
Source: http://www.goaonwheels.com
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Cruze now available with 'All Black' interiors-galleryinterior02.jpg  

Chevy Cruze now available with 'All Black' interiors-cruzebackinblacktopband1.jpg  

Old 7th April 2011, 17:11   #4
BHPian

Yeah, nice "All Black" for a car with really good interiors. Maybe a red touch up would make it look fiery.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Abhi the 2011 Cruze does come with all black interiors, USB and Bluetooth. I havent seen a real image of the same. All we have see so far is the image they have on there website which will not reveal the real look of the cabin as its a highly glossed up image.
True. Anybody seen the interiors for real? One of the sites claim that the interior quality has also been upgraded. Is that true as well? We all know what a difference the interior calours made to the ANHC when its interiors got better colours in '09. Is the 'All Black' Cruze really a step forward or is it more of a gimmick?
Old 7th April 2011, 17:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally love black.
The image that I saw in the paper today really impressed me.

You made a good point that some cars are provided with beige interiors and others with chrome just for the sake of providing them.
And they also advertise as if Beige is premium-IMO any decent colour will look good for any car; its the quality which gives the premium feeling.

I know many people who buy cars with beige interiors when the car will be used in dusty conditions.
Later they don't remove the Plastic covers for years together for the fear that it gets dirty.
I fail to understand why people don't realise that the plastic cover looks more ugly than anything else.

Chrome is another example for something which is overdone just because it is for India.
Look at the Etios and you'll see chrome in all places (Personally I hate this part)

With this All-black thing, I hope these things change.
I LOVE BLACK

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 7th April 2011 at 17:47.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You made a good point that some cars are provided with beige interiors and others with chrome just for the sake of providing them.
And they also advertise as if Beige is premium-IMO any decent colour will look good for any car; its the quality which gives the premium feeling.
Absolutely. Also, I think that the typical buyer in the D entry luxury (Cruze/Jetta/Civic) category is way too informed to be swayed by the 'beige as feature' crap. However, in higher segment cars, beige is the preferred colour for sure. That does not mean that every car needs to be beigified. Cruze should have been launched with this interior trim.

General rule according to me: I think that the basic looking cars (especially small hatchbacks) with low rent interior quality, look downright cheap with light coloured interiors. Such cars, with black interiors, look what they are:- fairly basic (but not necessarily cheap).

PS: If they bring 1.4L Turbo petrol engine, I think they can become segment leaders.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 7th April 2011 at 17:39.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:39   #8
BHPian

It surely will add some character to a fabulous car. I think a slight mix of chrome with this black will do wonders, but again its my personal opinion.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:39   #9
BANNED

I got a small feel of this car a while back. And I was really really happy with the build quality, the engine and the interior space.

The black interiors would look awesome too. This is quite a good product from chevy.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

PS: If they bring 1.4L Turbo petrol engine, I think they can become segment leaders.
Whatever happened to Chevrolet, weren't they supposed to launch the Petrol last year in November?

"1.4-litre turbocharged four cylinder 140hp powertrain", guess by configuration itself it is a leader.
Old 7th April 2011, 18:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevy Cruze now available with 'All Black' interiors

Now that looks stunning !! Black can also have a premium feel, provided the quality is retained ! I have seen beige interiors in some cars and hated - but loved it when it came in i10! So basically more than color, its the quality which brings in the premium feel!
Old 7th April 2011, 18:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I think that more prevalent Black-Beige two tone combo looks good in cars with a more luxurious feel like Jetta/Laura/Civic with rich materials and textures to boast of. The Cruze on the other hand, although in the same segment, is more of 'brute machine' which is bought by people as a VFM purchase. It is more of a rugged machine than a luxury car. Thus, black interiors go better with it.
+1
Cars with a sporty feel to it should never have beige interiors.
Beige looks better only if the plastics and leather used are of real high quality.
Old 7th April 2011, 22:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
General rule according to me: I think that the basic looking cars (especially small hatchbacks) with low rent interior quality, look downright cheap with light coloured interiors. Such cars, with black interiors, look what they are:- fairly basic (but not necessarily cheap).
Well said! I hate this beige onslaught on all cars. My opinion -beige = luxury, black = sportiness. I feel beige looks good on luxo barges like Rolls, Bentleys. But for God's sake not on i10! It screams "me too".
Old 7th April 2011, 23:16   #14
dot
Senior - BHPian

Total jet black with Aluminium finish looks super sporty, like the Shelby Cobra. Thankfully there is no dull grey though.

Agree that beige and chrome is really being overdone in our markets, to the point that it looks gaudy.
Old 8th April 2011, 00:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Now time to bring in the 1.4 litre 4-pot, turbocharged motor, Chevrolet. What are you waiting for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks