Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 11:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner facelift with Automatic rumored to arrive later this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
31 Lakhs ?? that too for a 4 speed AT???? I mean even the current on-road price is at a 100% premium. at 31lakhs we are talking about 200% premium, that too for a archaic 4 speed AT and no rear disc brakes.
Whatever the price, it will sell, because most Indians are infatuated with toyota badge, for god knows what reason. I mean a even now a Captiva AWD A/T(5 speed) has an ex-showroom price less than that of fortuner, and still everyone prefers fortuner. Ok, I know that fortuner is great for hardcore off-roading but less than 2% of the people who buy these might be doing hardcore off-roading.
If you wish to keep an SUV for a long time then get a fortuner. The fortuner and its engine will far outlast any captiva or outlander or any other that you know of. We can still see very capable land cruisers doing duty after 20-25 years and the hilux in other countries. Its a tough machine. If you want to keep one for a short while then it fetches a good resale price more then any other suv that I have seen.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
And they say that Honda overprice their cars.

I think Toyota are not happy with success of the car which is selling in good numbers, they are planning strategies to bring the sales numbers down. People will start believing that Honda CRV is a value for money car.
In fact the current lot of MT fortuner buyers has been exhausted and the sales are expected to slow down for the fortuner in the next 3-5 months. Toyota has a strategy to refresh the model and shall also open up the auto gear box users segment at the same time to keep the production lines running. My guess is that the price of 31L has a cushion built in in case the sales slow down and toyota has to offer rebates. Very similar strategy to Thailand, only that the sales have not slowed down there.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:22   #33
BHPian

Thats a sad strategy. Looks like the AT Endeavour with its beast of a 3.0 TDCi engine is a brilliant option especially given the price! And you also get a 5 speed AT. So is the Fortuner still superior? Me thinks not!
Old 11th April 2011, 11:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Hope Toyota offers both AT and MT options on the 3.0L Fortuner and not take away the MT from the market.
If they do, my old fortuner is going to be worth more than what I paid for new!
Old 11th April 2011, 13:25   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know the reason, but I have been seeing a lot of Fortuners up for sale in Kerala !! Considering that this car is max 2 years old now, dont really understand why people want to sell it !

Any pointers? Or do we have some problem for the car which is supposed to be addressed by the company in the new model?
Old 11th April 2011, 14:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

A 4 speed AT for such a huge engine is just not the way to go. I feel a minimum 5 speed should be offered, if not a 6 speed. I was always looking forward to an AT Fort, but if they price it at 31 OTR it's going to be out of many a budget, The Fortuner costs 23.50 OTR mumbai right now, and with the increase in features as well as duty on CKD's i think the estimate is pretty accurate. It's rather "unfortunate" but it shall only be confirmed when prices are announced.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:59   #37

I understand from the JLR showroom that the new CKD Freelander could be launched anywhere in Apr/May at a price point between 30-33 lacs. If Fortuner contests with that price point, I would expect it to start catering to the luxury appointments of the vehicles on this side of 30L.

I would be pretty surprised to see Fortuner's demand continue at current levels at a price point of 31L with the kind of interiors/features it offers. It's butch looks are undisputable, but ... 31L for look?
Old 11th April 2011, 21:07   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't believe it's 31 lacs, maybe the source have gone terribly wrong.
If at all it's true then Mitsubishi and Nissan better gather themselves up and give proper competition.
Also toyota should get out the 2WD model out as it's more practical than full time AWD.
P.S- Thought that the 4 spd A/T was only for the petrol variants of the IMV family.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Toyota has no plans in the future for the facelifted fortuner or the AT, not now, not in 2012 either. Officially confirmed by TKML motors themselves. Mods, kindly lock this thread.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

31 L ! That's too ambitious ! Even for all the bells and whistle and the AT !
Meanwhile , IAB is reporting that AT isn't coming in near future .
Official - No Toyota Fortuner AT this year | Indian Autos blog
Old 12th April 2011, 10:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Toyota has no plans in the future for the facelifted fortuner or the AT, not now, not in 2012 either. Officially confirmed by TKML motors themselves. Mods, kindly lock this thread.
I beg to differ. A number of sources have confirmed the face lift and my sources have confirmed the automatic at least by the end if this year. The complexity is around further dampening the vibrations to accommodate the auto box and it will be the same auto box that is offered in Thailand. TKM is also looking at the TRD version for the premium buyer.

It is well understood that no car company will ever admit to upgrades until the day of launch lest it dampens the sale of the current models and TKM is no different.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
If you wish to keep an SUV for a long time then get a fortuner. The fortuner and its engine will far outlast any captiva or outlander or any other that you know of. We can still see very capable land cruisers doing duty after 20-25 years and the hilux in other countries. Its a tough machine. If you want to keep one for a short while then it fetches a good resale price more then any other suv that I have seen.
That's highly debatable. For one, I am not sure whether diesel is such a big market in other countries as in India. 2nd, I thought the Japs are more adept at building petrol engines than diesel ones. At least that's the feeling I get from this forum.

At 31L, you will have to keep it for a long time as no one would want to buy a 2nd hand car/SUV which is costlier than a new car/SUV (in the same segment) of a different manufacturer. Or take a huge hit in resale.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:24   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: *Rumour* : Toyota Fortuner facelift with Automatic later this year

Sorry, but I'm not buying this rumour at all.

Toyota Fortuner MT : 20,14,800 (Current ex-showroom Delhi price)

AT box : 1 lakh (usual premium)
Xenon Lamps + Sunroof + Rain Sensing Wipers : 75K - 80K max (usual premium)

Net : 22 lakhs. Lets say Toyota gets optimistic, then we're looking at 23 lakhs.

This is an unfounded rumour, and for now I'm going to shut this thread until there is some concrete, reliable information received.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed