Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 12:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government to allow color change, ban Bluetooth, iPOD and other rules

Even though I'm ok with these new 'rules'!

I hope this doesn't mean that we'll accept any more bans on tech!

If they think that its taking our eyes off the road, implement a Heads up display unit that displays this info on the windshield!!

Thats quite a great idea, rather than stripping a car down to steering wheel, a gear lever, a few pedals and a seat!

Somehow, I feel the ppl making the rules are afraid of advancements in technology. No offence to anyone, of course!
Old 12th April 2011, 13:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

I'm still not sure what the article is talking about. There are two ways of using a Bluetooth enabled device or a iPod while in a car. One obvious way is to use them via the head unit which support them and I can confirm that this is a very very safe way of using these devices in a vehicle. Infact music helps to keeps you awake and safe on the road is what I feel. Even speaking through the BT head units via the ICE speakers is like talking to a person seating next to you. Although I avoid talking even on this while on the highway. It's much easier to use BT HU while driving or crawling in the city roads ..
The other way is to use earphones or similar stuff which actually might lead to distraction and disaster. Now if the ban is on this then it's kind of understandable but a blanket ban on iPod or any other musical device is purely draconian. Just my point of view and others may disagree.
Old 12th April 2011, 13:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
If they think that its taking our eyes off the road, implement a Heads up display unit that displays this info on the windshield!!
with that I'll ask for only two more things in my car, a jet engine and a pair of wings; no need to keep my eyes on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Now if the ban is on this then it's kind of understandable but a blanket ban on iPod or any other musical device is purely draconian.
IMO most of the babus drafting these rules hardly understand even the 'T' of Technology. Even in these times they can not use even the basic of 'gizmo gadgets' and need a computer operator to check their mail (and not just because they are busy)
Old 12th April 2011, 14:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought - will this mean that technologies like SYNC (currently in most Fords in USA) are also banned?

SYNC lets you control music, AirCon, SatNav, and mobile phone through a single interface with voice commands. I am pretty sure similar technologies also exist in Merc/BMW/Audi/Jag etc sold in India? So, does this mean all such CKD luxe models will be decontent models for India?
Old 12th April 2011, 15:41   #35
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't get what exactly is the car colour change rule, even today one can do it after informing the RTO and in future too it would remain the same, so what is the difference?

The bluetooth rule is a bit odd, frankly bluetooth is a boon if one is going to drive and talk on the phone, but obviously it is safer to not talk at all.

Using the cell phone or head set held close to the head is an absolute no no while driving. Driving with bluetooth on is much better but not as safe as not talking at all.

What about people who drink (I mean sipping water from a bottle) or eat (eating a wadapav or a sandwitch or a biscuit while driving are these also not equally distractive?

Somehow the bluetooth rule should be avoided and infact would suggest that it be made compulsory in cars to have it. Just my take.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
What about people who drink (I mean sipping water from a bottle) or eat (eating a wadapav or a sandwitch or a biscuit while driving are these also not equally distractive?
I guess smoking while driving was/is banned in Delhi.

Eating or drinking while driving should, again, be avoided. They can cause distraction, can interfere with the actual controls (spilling water on some electronics?), and sometimes you may choke on them. However I think the probability of someone causing an accident while eating/drinking would be much much lesser than someone talking on a cellphone.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:27   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
However I think the probability of someone causing an accident while eating/drinking would be much much lesser than someone talking on a cellphone.
That would only be as it is rarer to be drinking water / eating while driving compared to using the cell phone, but am sure that these are really big distractions and one will invariably get one or both hands of the steering to manage this without messing up ones clothes.

Bluetooth though not fool proof is in a way a safety tool (especially the car steering mounted ones).

For that matter the interactive or otherwise GPS systems can definately be more distracting than bluetooth based systems for handling calls.

Last edited by ACM : 12th April 2011 at 16:28.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:33   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i thought one could re-paint the car in another colour of one's choice and inform the RTO so that it can be endorsed on the RC book.

Im not sure banning blue tooth headset use will work unless they are stringent about enforcement. Even now, with the cellphone ban, people can be spotted from time to time yakking into their cell phones.

What about cars which have built in blue tooth tech like the Merc, VW and Fiat? Will this feature in these cars become redundant on account of the ban?

Whats the logic of banning Ipods? If it is felt that the Ipod is distracting then frankly so is any other music system - because one does twiddle the radio station knobs and so on from time to time.

For that matter eating and drinking and talking to passengers can also be construed as distracting to the driver.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th April 2011 at 16:34.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:36   #39
BHPian

Allowance of color change is good. But I thought the rule already existed wherein we have to notify the RTO and then change the color.
But banning iPod??!!
I mean we use ipods only to listen to music and when it is connected to the car's music system then it is kept in the glove-box/ or some other storage area.
How will the cops even come to know whether we are using an iPod or not?
Old 12th April 2011, 17:39   #40
BHPian

there was an ad running on TV as recent as a year ago : a person is playing with a remote controlle car, he receives a call and starts talking, whle still playing with the car, within seconds the car meets with an accident. for all the people sensible enough to understand, talking on the phone, headset or toherwise, distracts you.

comeon guys, let us BHPians set example for safety on roads, is this the sense of satey we have on roads?
Old 12th April 2011, 17:49   #41
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i thought one could re-paint the car in another colour of one's choice and inform the RTO so that it can be endorsed on the RC book.
Thats what I thought too. My dad had repainted his Amby several times from Black to Grey to Blue, etc. Gosh, we are criminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What about cars which have built in blue tooth tech like the Merc, VW and Fiat? Will this feature in these cars become redundant on account of the ban?
Exactly. I raised this question a few posts back. Is there any answer to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
How will the cops even come to know whether we are using an iPod or not?
They will probably ask politely, "saar, where is your ipod. Oh no, it is hooked to the HU. Here is your challan."
Old 12th April 2011, 18:13   #42
BHPian

Regarding the ipod / bluetooth rule, I feel the intention is good but it is impractical. I definitely agree that one should avoid talking on the phone when driving since its a distraction. Having an ipod or any other personal music device plugged into your ear prevents you from hearing outside noises (squealing brakes / blaring horns anyone?). But this scenario can be extended to almost any activity one does inside the vehicle while driving including but not limited to changing radio stations / changing CDs, eating snacks, drinking water / soft drinks, smoking etc.

My personal opinion is that blutooth devices should be allowed since they are way safer than holding a headset to the ear with one hand or between tilted head and shoulder. Mobile phones have become ubiquitous and I think it is unlikely that everyone (other than the really sensible people - no offence to anyone) will stop receiving a call while driving. IMHO, we should attempt to make it as safe as possible while considering the ground realities. AFAIK, in most states in US it is legal to use a bluetooth headset but illegal to use a handset while driving. We should aim for something similar.
Old 12th April 2011, 20:00   #43
BHPian

the art of finding loopholes in the law and also finding excuses to dodge extends not only to the politicians but the aam aadmi too!!!

driving is an art best enjoyed in peace, without the hassles of dealing through a call. Car makers will add technology to the vehicle for the convenience of the buyer but it will not/cannot be held accountable for any accidents due to usage of this technology. Cigarettes are openly sold in the market but the maker is not accountable for deaths caused due to smoking. The responsibiity of using the technology safely lies soley with the user.

How many of us can proudly say that with our kids and famly in the car, we can confidently drive talking on the cellphone? the bottomline is cellphones should not be used while driving, to be considerate to the other people on the road, to be make our roads safer and for the safety of every commuter on the road.
Old 12th April 2011, 20:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Question is do we discipline ourselves or wait for some authority to shove it down our throats?
exactly my point. why is it that we havwe to wait for some authority to come down heavily on us to adhere to the rules? the motto of this forum is " redifining the indian automotive scene", why shouldnt we take the lead and set examples? i have seen replies varying from "insensible" to "using the BT headset resopsibly", be true to your heats and answer, is it really safe to talk on the phonw while driving?

the human mind is a very powerful tool, in a matter of seconds, it can re-create an entire an entire project/hoiday/the minutes of meeting, thereby taking the user to places far beyond the present. the mind, in that scenario, does not stay focussed on driving, and even an oncoming vehicle becomes invisible to the mind, even thiough the eyes see it.

it is better always better to be sae than sorry!
Old 12th April 2011, 21:40   #45
BHPian

Being as accident-prone as I have been lately, I must say that I disagree with all those saying that hands-free is akin to talking to a passenger sitting next to you. It is not. Several studies have been done on this matter. Talking on the phone, hands-free or otherwise, is distracting. Phone calls need higher degree of concentration than face-to-face conversation. All a hands-free does is that it lets you keep both hands on the wheel.

The iPod bit does not make much sense unless they mean the usage of headphones. But I suppose getting a law to be enacted is always a case of give and take. During the drafting stage certain clauses are deliberately built in as bargaining chips. Someone will definitely raise objections. So they may 'let go' of the iPod clause.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks