Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 22:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government to allow color change, ban Bluetooth, iPOD and other rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
They are not the same. While a fellow passenger sits beside you, he/she is aware of what is happening around in the road, so can decide to stop the conversation if required. But the person on the other side of the bluetooth call is oblivious to the happenings. So can be distracting at times.
While after pondering on this a bit. I do feel that maybe they are not the same but almost.
Also as you mentioned a passenger sitting beside you has a view of the traffic situation.
But what about someone seated on the back seat?
Also what if you are speaking to a baby-child-teenager they won't stop their convesation upon assesing the traffic situation.
Also if an adult seated in the front beside you is carried away in the conversation its not necessary that they would stop talking, as they might not be monitoring the traffic or road situation.
So basically its the responsibility of the driver to stop the conversation if it is getting distracting for him or her. Bluetooth or otherwise.
Like i said before. I always park the car on the side when possible to take a call. But mostly try to keep my phone on silent while driving. This way the chances of distraction is minimised

Last edited by mdsaab : 12th April 2011 at 22:26.
Old 12th April 2011, 22:45   #47
dot
Senior - BHPian

Friends, dont beat me up for this.

I feel that some folks are more capable than others in terms of handling a call and driving. No, I dont mean taking a mobile handset call. That is definitely a no no at all times. But talking over a bluetooth system and driving may be a cup of tea for many, however it may not be feasible for others. Some folks can parallel process, but not all can, to the same extent.

It is very natural, all of us are good at certain things, but not at everything!

So it is up to us to decide if we can do both or not. Why the government has to tell us that. Several examples around this aspect are coming to my mind, but they may become political statements. So not posting.

Mobile phones are an integral part of our lives. Bluetooth system in a car is as close to a safe system we can get with the present technology. Imposing a rule that leaves people stranded makes no sense. As some of you have said, it will be flouted from day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
So basically its the responsibility of the driver to stop the conversation if it is getting distracting for him or her. Bluetooth or otherwise.
Exactly.

Banning iPod is a joke of an idea. What next? CDs? MP3 players? FM radio?

Last edited by dot : 12th April 2011 at 22:49.
Old 12th April 2011, 23:28   #48
BHPian

I am against the anti-music player rule! If I'm driving alone in the peak hours of the morning or the evening, on the eastern/western express highways of Mumbai, music is the only thing that keeps me fresh and alert, and without which I get irritated aka pissed. And no, buses or trains are not an option for me because I have equipment to carry to the places I visit. I dislike listening to the radio because the jockeys are desperately trying to act cool and there are more advertisements than songs, so it's a no! I can't carry/maintain tons of cds because it's too much hassle. Hence, I prefer a pocket music player which once connected to the head unit via an AUX cable gives me access to thousands of songs. The music on the mp3 player is there, because I like it, therefore either I play an already saved playlist or put it on shuffle. Once it's on, changing a song once in a while is not a big deal. It's easy and quick as adjusting the rear view mirror. I find this law pretty much flawed. Besides, the maker of the head unit has given me the slot of an AUX cable, so it's not just me if the law says so!

Now coming to the question of the ban on bluetooth devices. I say, why advance in technology and make certain devices available to the common man and then create laws that barr you from using those very devices? It's not full circle! If the traffic dept. wants drivers to stop using bluetooth devices, be them the speakerphone-steering-controlled kind or the ear-plug kind, why don't they just issue a law that does not allow car makers to manufacture vehicles with all them built-in goodies? That will be the right thing to do, wouldn't it?
Old 13th April 2011, 10:44   #49
BHPian

This is just a proposal by Sundar committee and the government is yet to take the decision. Incase the government bans usage of Bluetooth, only one additional options is required over the cellphone to ease us - a 'driver mode'. If we switch to a 'driver mode' in cellphone, then when someone calls us, he has to hear that 'subscriber is driving, please try later'. This ensures safety for us and at the same time the caller also knows that the person is really busy and disturbing him now could be dangerous.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:00   #50
BHPian

Banning bluetooth enabled headsets and music while driving is insane. Why not start off with improving roads and having road markings in place first? Lane markings and zebra crossing lines cease to exist at most places. The move to ban BT and music while driving is merely a money extorting process. I have been using BT headsets for several years and it really does not hamper one's concentration so as to cause a road mishap. Also, is it possible for cops to prove someone was actually talking into a BT enabled headset while driving? You can always say you were singing or talking to yourself. Now will that be banned as well?

Like someone said, if you are a bad driver, BT or not BT will always be a distraction. A sane driver will always be able to decide when the call is hampering his concentration and will either hang up or pull over. To pull over every time you receive a call is not practical on our narrow, dug-up, unmarked and pothole ridden roads. The Government does what best enables them to fill up their money coffers. I write this on the assumption that the ordinance will be eventually passed by the Govt.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 13th April 2011 at 11:05.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Like someone said, if you are a bad driver, BT or not BT will always be a distraction. A sane driver will always be able to decide when the call is hampering his concentration and will either hang up or pull over. To pull over every time you receive a call is not practical on our narrow, dug-up, unmarked and pothole ridden roads.
If pulling over is not an option the phone should be switched off. I don't know why a sane driver should 'decide' if a call is hampering his concentration or not. If he is sane, he should pull over safely and take the call, or else just not take the call. Why people still want to press ahead and advocate using the mobiles while driving is beyond my comprehension.

Despite a clear ban on using mobile phones while driving and riding, there's a large number of people who seem to take pride that they can manage both things together. IMO it's the next thing to be taken up after a campaign to stop drunken driving.

Even pedestrians busy talking on the phone while walking on streets is becoming a hazard. It was only yesterday I observed a guy happily chatting away on his phone unaware of a BEST bus honking behind him for him to get out of its path. It's a menace and it MUST be stopped.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If pulling over is not an option the phone should be switched off. I don't know why a sane driver should 'decide' if a call is hampering his concentration or not. If he is sane, he should pull over safely and take the call, or else just not take the call. Why people still want to press ahead and advocate using the mobiles while driving is beyond my comprehension.
Can you pull over every time you receive a call? On our roads, is that possible? I think it depends on how you use the phone while driving. I am strictly against people holding the phone with one hand and driving with the other. Have never understood how they manage to change gears and keep the car steady at the same time. I see no issues with a BT headset. That is the reason why they were invented in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Even pedestrians busy talking on the phone while walking on streets is becoming a hazard. It was only yesterday I observed a guy happily chatting away on his phone unaware of a BEST bus honking behind him for him to get out of its path. It's a menace and it MUST be stopped.
This is a growing menace. People's reluctance to use the footpaths is partially to blame for this. And Govt's reluctance to provide usable footpaths is another cause.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 13th April 2011 at 12:25.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:46   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

nice point. This "Drive" mode would be similar to "Flight" or "Offline" mode.

Only, there should be some way for the service provider to tag the fact that that particular phone is either on Drive, Flight or Offline mode and ensure that the caller hears the recorded message as suggested. I am sure the technology exists - it is the service provider's willingness to use it and of course the subscriber's willingness to pay for it if it is considered as a chargeable service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Torque View Post
This is just a proposal by Sundar committee and the government is yet to take the decision. Incase the government bans usage of Bluetooth, only one additional options is required over the cellphone to ease us - a 'driver mode'. If we switch to a 'driver mode' in cellphone, then when someone calls us, he has to hear that 'subscriber is driving, please try later'. This ensures safety for us and at the same time the caller also knows that the person is really busy and disturbing him now could be dangerous.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

for those with a nokia mobile phone, one can implement a method which i have tested.
Download an application called "AnsMachine"
Now record a greeting. this will be played when someone calls you.
in this greeting you can mention that you are driving and can't pick up the phone right now. Person can leave a message which will be stored on your phone and you can listen to it once you reach your destination and even call back if the need be.
The best part of all this is it's free. Even when the greeting is played and messages are stored it's an incoming call so you don't have to pay for the application or for the call.
Its a win win situation.
try it out.
Drive Safe!

Last edited by mdsaab : 13th April 2011 at 13:08.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:12   #55
BHPian

Pulling over?

I'd once pulled over at the Sion T-junction. Boom! Within seconds, enters a beat marshal saying that I'm the reason behind all that traffic there. Either pay 500 INR or let the towing vehicle take care of my car! True story.

So I don't think pulling over in metros at least, is a good idea.

I think moral of the story is, either ways one (read car driver) is going to be at a loss. You get caught, you lose money. You don't answer an important call, loss there too!
Old 13th April 2011, 18:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Can you pull over every time you receive a call? On our roads, is that possible? I think it depends on how you use the phone while driving. I am strictly against people holding the phone with one hand and driving with the other. Have never understood how they manage to change gears and keep the car steady at the same time. I see no issues with a BT headset. That is the reason why they were invented in the first place.

This is a growing menace. People's reluctance to use the footpaths is partially to blame for this. And Govt's reluctance to provide usable footpaths is another cause.
Well, if you aren't able to find a safe place to pull over, I don't think you are going to see footpaths alongside the roads anytime soon.

I still don't understand what's the compulsion to talk on the phone while driving, when we all know it's illegal. Is there any point in justifying it by saying using handsfree is ok?

And FYI I don't use the phone while driving. In case I do get a call and can't pull over, I let it ring and pull over when I can and then call back. Which I think is the smartest thing to do. Sorry for sounding so arrogant.

In fact I can't decide between the two evils: A moron talking on the phone and hogging the right lane driving at 30kmph, or another moron talking on the phone and driving amongst the traffic at 40kmph. While one brings the entire traffic behind him to a halt, I shudder to think what disaster the other could bring about.

Old 13th April 2011, 19:53   #57
BHPian

If you treat bluetooth to be a distraction, everything is a distraction. Even listening to music. Everything boils down to how we get accustomed to and ensure discipline on the road. As long as the Govt doesn't mandate every driver to wear a Bridle, we should be good
Old 13th April 2011, 20:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

How did we conduct our lives prior to 1996 when there were no mobiles ? We still did right !! The one difference is that the traffic was much lesser then, so one could get to one's destination in 25% of the time that one takes now.

I think we are all too hooked to new technologies & gizmos, and have let these things take our lives over !!

I think it best to avoid calls while driving, if one just has to - one should slow down or pull over. That is what I mostly do.

Cheers
Old 14th April 2011, 02:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Like i said before. I always park the car on the side when possible to take a call. But mostly try to keep my phone on silent while driving. This way the chances of distraction is minimised
Agreed that it's driver's responsibility. But will every driver out there make the right judgement to stop a conversation if it is distracting? That's where a need for a rule/law comes in. If everyone could self police themselves where is the need for police?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
It is very natural, all of us are good at certain things, but not at everything!

So it is up to us to decide if we can do both or not. Why the government has to tell us that.
Ok, some people are good at multi tasking. But who is going to certify that? A driver not paying attention while driving because of a phone conversation - Bluetooth or not doesn't matter - is actually putting other road users at risk.
Old 14th April 2011, 03:08   #60
Team-BHP Support

The ban on bluetooth headsets is a good move. People are under the impression that it's safer to use the bluetooth device rather than hold the phone in one hand and change gears with the other whilst keeping your car in a straight line.

The problem is not the lack of a third arm, but the fact that when someone is on a call while they're driving, irrespective of whether he/she is using a bluetooth device, their concentration is not on the road where it's supposed to be.

iPods can distract one while driving too, that is, if you keep changing the track while on the move. Half of the time, your mind will be on what song you want to listen to next. For those who use a mobile-phone or an iPod in the car, please create a playlist before setting off on the drive. That's the only fair solution IMO.

And yes, the Government's proposal on coming down hard on those who break traffic rules is a welcome move. Increasing the fines to exorbitant levels is the only way the traffic police can maintain order and control. Hundred bucks is nothing for many these days and don't mind taking a few risks on the road that might involve breaking some sort of rule. Increase the fine to 500 or more and watch the number of offenders reduce. The regular miscreants will only then think twice before going down the wrong way on a one-way-street or jumping a red-light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks