Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 23:05   #1
dot
Senior - BHPian

Government to allow color change, ban Bluetooth, iPOD and other rules

Friends, This news article was featured today in Indian Express.

Green light likely to car colour change

Says that if the new regulations are approved, one can change their vehicle's color after taking permission from RTO. I thought it was always possible to change color after notifying RTO. Obviously it looks like I was mistaken.

They also plan to increase punishment for drunken driving, breaking traffic rules like not stopping behind the line at a signal, drivers caught using mobile phones etc.

That is a welcome move, really. Looks like Govt officials read TBHP threads too. We were discussing how to make people stop at the stop-line recently, remember.

However Bluetooth and iPOD usage is also an offence. Isnt that too much?

Is this article authentic at all?

Last edited by dot : 11th April 2011 at 23:08.
Old 11th April 2011, 23:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Government to allow color change, ban Bluetooth, iPOD and other rules

Well from what I read in the article its still a proposal and still in the initial phases of development.Considering the fact that its happening in India i believe it still might take a long time to see the light of the day.

I agree to most of the things in the proposal baring the ban on use of Ipods?Now in which way does using an ipod hamper the driver or a persons driving sense?Ipod as far as my knowledge goes is just an in car entertainment device and nothing else.

Bluetooth enabled devices should be severly banned since these days steering mounted bluetooth devices are getting increasingly popular and driving senses can get seriosly dispaired to due interventions from a call being attented via bluetooth.
Old 12th April 2011, 00:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well i always prefer to stop on the side of the road and take the call if i absolutely have to.
Usually i keep my phone on silent while driving and call back once i reach my destination.
So if they do ban bluetooth it wont make much of a difference to me.
But i feel that its quite safe to use a bluetooth headset while driving. Its like speaking to a fellow passenger while driving. Regarding ipods. Well today i had the ipod hooked into the aux of the civic, and kiddo wanted a song change. Now this was quite challenging. I tried once but thought it better to stop on the side and make the song change.
So if your ipod connection is not integrated into the HU, it definately can be a distraction when one wants to change the playlist or song. Also many folks could end up using the ipod as a tv screen in the front. With their favourite tv shows or movies playing. And this too could end up being a distraction. So it seems the cops are getting more serious, and thats a good thing. If implemented correctly and without foul play from either side of the law. It seems like good things are on their way, to improve the Indian driving experience.
Thanks for sharing @dot.
Drive safe!
Old 12th April 2011, 00:45   #4
BHPian

"Devices like bluetooth" -- jeez, these guys need to learn their technology before writing articles. I assume (like others) they mean bluetooth headsets. I think that's a bad move, and having used one extensively can say that it is very safe, and does not deteriorate your driving. If you are a bad driver to begin with, then of course, your driving remains bad. I would say it's a hundred times safer than driving while talking directly into your handset, and ten times safer than talking into a loudspeaker.

I think a wiser move would be to promote bluetooth headsets so as to curb people talking directly into handsets. Has worked in many countries in the world (which of course does not necessarily by itself mean it would work in India, but IMHO it would).

My two cents.
Old 12th April 2011, 01:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
But i feel that its quite safe to use a bluetooth headset while driving. Its like speaking to a fellow passenger while driving.
They are not the same. While a fellow passenger sits beside you, he/she is aware of what is happening around in the road, so can decide to stop the conversation if required. But the person on the other side of the bluetooth call is oblivious to the happenings. So can be distracting at times.
Old 12th April 2011, 03:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Says that if the new regulations are approved, one can change their vehicle's color after taking permission from RTO. I thought it was always possible to change color after notifying RTO. Obviously it looks like I was mistaken.
Looks like everyone is interested in the bluetooth part! I feel so excited about the colour change provision.

Just because you buy a car in one colour doesnt you need to live 10-15 years with the same! Thats just so frustrating! Hopefully, this is implemented soon and doesnt take ages like other government laws!
Old 12th April 2011, 08:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I-pods(or any music player/phone) can be distracting while driving if you are using the 'earphones' to listen to your music. That's what they meant I guess.

In all a good move, but again, the question of enforcement arises. If you double up the fines, bribery will increase too, with people looking to get away by paying 200/300 instead of 2000!

About the color change, it IS possible to change the color even now, all you gotta do is get it endorsed on your RC.
Old 12th April 2011, 08:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
About the color change, it IS possible to change the color even now, all you gotta do is get it endorsed on your RC.
Well you are right.. I just read this recent post in which a silver grey Hyundai Sonata was changed to red and here is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-bullet-3.html
Old 12th April 2011, 09:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
"Devices like bluetooth" -- jeez, these guys need to learn their technology before writing articles. I assume (like others) they mean bluetooth headsets. I think that's a bad move, and having used one extensively can say that it is very safe, and does not deteriorate your driving. If you are a bad driver to begin with, then of course, your driving remains bad. I would say it's a hundred times safer than driving while talking directly into your handset, and ten times safer than talking into a loudspeaker.

I think a wiser move would be to promote bluetooth headsets so as to curb people talking directly into handsets. Has worked in many countries in the world (which of course does not necessarily by itself mean it would work in India, but IMHO it would).

My two cents.
Quote:
But i feel that its quite safe to use a bluetooth headset while driving.
Actually, it is same and yet unsafe. I have often seen people with the bluetooth dongle get so involved in the conversation they are having that they have no sense of orientation on the road. They stop where they please and oblivious to the traffic around.

Although I use the dongle too, I use it sensibly. What is the guarantee everyone on the road does?

Quote:
Also many folks could end up using the ipod as a tv screen in the front. With their favourite tv shows or movies playing. And this too could end up being a distraction.
Well, aren't there so many cabs and even private vehicles which have the foldable screen mounted just above the centre console. Almost always, there are movies or some video playing on them. That is a major distraction too.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:45   #10
BHPian

IMHO, bluetoth headsets and ipod(plugged in with the earphones) should be banned while driving. even though some may argue that it idoes not affect driving, the fact is it does take one's attention from the road.

On ur roads, horns are almost used as a language, honking is used to grab attention of erring drivers and with the ipod plugged in one can barely hear what is happening on the outside. talking on the phone, even with the BT headset takes one' attanetion off the road.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Although I use the dongle too, I use it sensibly. What is the guarantee everyone on the road does?
This is the same question all the other BT-dongle-using-drivers would be asking.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:20   #12
BANNED

Welcome move.

Have all sort of in ear attached devices banned while driving. I have seen morons with car stereo systems still using plugged in headsets and driving.

PS: Not hearing aids.

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th April 2011 at 10:28.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:24   #13
BHPian

On the topic, if talking on BT dongle is unsafe, then I think even talking with co-passenger, or for that matter listening to music is also unsafe - as these would divert your attention. These reminds me of my frightful father, who used to urge people in the car not to talk when some family member was driving.

I completely agree with handheld devices though, as no matter how expert you are, it is always better and safe (for people inside or outside) to use two hands for driving.

Good sensible driving should be a habit, and you do not require 100% attention for performing a habit.

A bit OT - How would the cops catch someone using a BT dongle? Assume some woman, or somebody with long hairs are using the dongle in left ear, which may not be visible from outside.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic. I remember the time when the Delhi high court imposed additional surcharge of Rs. 500 on every violation, be it jumping traffic light, not putting seat belt, talking on mobile etc etc. I think the year was 2004 or 2005.

The immediate difference I noticed was in my notorious friend, who enjoyed to violate traffic rules at will. Had a stereo-type answer "mujhe kuch nahin hoga" (nothing will happen to me), whenever I used to tell him the reasons of putting on seat belt.

After the High court notification, he was fined once for Rs. 600 (Rs. 100 + Rs. 500) for not putting on seat belt, thereafter till the time I was in Delhi (2007), I never saw him driving without seatbelt or talking on phone or trying to act smart at traffic light. Even now when I call, if he's driving, he never picks the call and calls me back later on.

Bottomline is that if imposing higher fine only, and not even changing the rules, could have such an impact on this 'gentleman' (and I could see the overall change in the driving pattern in Delhi, or fear of entering jurisdiction of Delhi), hopefully these new rules will be good things to have. After all you can always listen to your Ipod (through earphones) and take that important call if you have your life. Also, this will make the roads somewhat better for the fellow road users as well.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:35   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
On the topic, if talking on BT dongle is unsafe, then I think even talking with co-passenger, or for that matter listening to music is also unsafe - as these would divert your attention.
Or thinking or looking at the signpost or reading it, on looking at the traffic signals or looking at the advertisement hoarding. We can argue to no ends.

Question is do we discipline ourselves or wait for some authority to shove it down our throats?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks