Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 14:17   #76
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea 1.6 MJD

How is the Dualogic gear lever different than others, apart from the way it looks? Is it better than the Vento's AT?
Also, FIAT is not that bad IMHO, they just got of on the wrong foot and are trying twice as hard. The looks surely help thier cause
Old 14th April 2011, 14:18   #77
BHPian

Whoohoo! If the 1.6 MJD is really on the cards, I might just trade my Punto later this year! Simply love the Punto for the way it drives (that too the 1.3MJD) - and now the wait starts and I'm gonna keep a close eye on this thread
Old 14th April 2011, 14:58   #78
BHPian

@EARTHed - seems like you will the record of the most fiats in a house in india ;-)
anyway this is good news.

What all people say about FIAT on GC, A.S.S, cheap plastics etc are all pre-concieved notions. I am first time Fiat customer and have no regrets about it !!!
Old 14th April 2011, 15:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

I can only feel sorry for Fiat in India. Despite having two stunning, well proportioned, reasonably featured and superb handling cars in their lineup in the form of Punto and Linea, they are hardly able to sell them.

Now, on top of the so many options already available in the two cars, this is going to be yet another expensive option. And, most probably, like the T-Jet version, this too would not do any good to the sales of the Linea and will end up as an afterthought in Fiat's lineup.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:24   #80
BHPian

I have been a fiat car owner for almost 4 years now. palio stile 1.1 was my first car and now am going strong with a used 1.3 MJD palio stile. in my 4 years with fiat, service has never been a issue. i never had problem with any part nor i was ever told that the part is not available by the A.S.S folks for small things!

being the first time owner, i just fell in love with fiat car and will continue to do so. for me the interiors and the plastics are acceptable coz they dont RATTLE after few days!

also another observation of mine is: here in bengaluru, i have seen a lot of second hand car dealers with loads of maruti's and hyundai cars, but never saw a fiat car parked with them. the asking price might not be great, but put up a ad for a fiat car and see how many responses you get in no time.

people who don't have personl experience with fiat, request you to please desist your self from commenting on fiat cars, if you do we know you are standing on the roof of a building and proclaiming:

cheers
Vasanth
Palio Stile MJD
Ex-Palio Stile SLX
Old 14th April 2011, 15:51   #81
BHPian

Agree. I really feel sorry for Fiat. Good products some how not able to sell well.
As to me, I will buy their Adventure Locker, if they bring it with diesel (power enough to cruise at 110 is enough for me) and price less than 15L.
As some one pointed out, they should get out of the volume segment and get niche. Volume is not working for them.
Old 14th April 2011, 16:07   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
also another observation of mine is: here in bengaluru, i have seen a lot of second hand car dealers with loads of maruti's and hyundai cars, but never saw a fiat car parked with them. the asking price might not be great, but put up a ad for a fiat car and see how many responses you get in no time.
Great point, I have seen that, before my Punto came in, I tried carwale and some more websites to see if any Multijet palio or Punto is on sale, thats after 1.5 yr of the launch of Punto, by that time many other brand owners would have sold their pets, but I have not seen a single entry for a Multijet Fiat car, I wonder people who never had even done a test drive of a Fiat car talk about after service, and Plastic quality should not bother some one who loves to drive, that should be used as an excuse for some Maruti cars as a make up element for some missing elements. And I have seen my friend's i20 rattled like anything just after 3 months.

Now my question is how the DSG gear box is different from a Regular AT gear box, and does it have paddle shift as well?
Old 14th April 2011, 16:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

This is some insight for those who don't know what Dualogic is.

Quote:
Normally performance and economy pull in different directions, but the DuaLogic gearbox is designed to make extremely efficient use of the engines to which it is attached, ensuring that they are always working at their peak effectiveness for the task in hand. This translates into better performance and lower fuel consumption, by way of lower exhaust emissions. The Fiat Punto, with an official fuel consumption figure of 4.6 litres/100 km, is already the most fuel efficient conventional car in Australia. With the DuaLogic gearbox fitted, consumption drops to just 4.5 litres/100 km, a remarkable figure for manual car, let alone one with a self-shifting gearbox!”The DuaLogic gearbox, which is available on the Fiat Punto with the 1.4 petrol engine as well as the Turbo Diesel Punto 1.3 JTD, is technically described as a sequential manual gearbox, which means it has a conventional clutch and gearbox, so there is no power-sapping torque converter and hydraulic gears. Instead there is small, light actuator unit to operate the clutch and move the gears, plus a highly intelligent computer.

Thus, the DuaLogic equipped Punto has the performance and economy of the manual car as a starting point, unlike a conventional automatic which is always at a disadvantage to a manual gearbox given its weight and power-consuming technology. To this already efficient system is added a computer that knows the engine to which it is connected inside-out. The computer ensures that the gearbox is always in the most effective gear for the performance required, maximising both performance and economy capabilities. Indeed, the Punto DuaLogic even knows if it is going downhill or climbing a hill and adjusts its changing patterns appropriately!
With the DuaLogic taking over the operation of the gearbox and the clutch, driving is easier and simpler. The driver has the choice of placing the Punto DuaLogic in automatic or manual modes. In automatic mode, DuaLogic does all the work, selecting the gears, operating the clutch and getting the best economy and performance. The driver can also select normal mode or economy mode, with, as the name suggests, the latter selection ensuring that the Punto extracts every the maximum energy out of every last drop of fuel.

DuaLogic doesn’t just blindly change gears. It has full fuzzy logic, so it can adapt to the driver’s style, matching his changing demands, both his style and changing road conditions. Another feature of the DuaLogic is its ability to assess vehicle deceleration and adjust downshifts.
In semiautomatic mode, for example, the system allows downshifts, particularly when the driver demands a lower gear to take a corner at speed during a sporty drive. In automatic mode, the system anticipates the downshift to ensure the driver can always call on the most appropriate speed to maintain the required comfort level or fuel saving.

With the DuaLogic gearbox in automatic mode, its robotised electronic management system allows the gears to be changed at the time of maximum engine performance. This makes it possible to exploit all the power and torque of the 1.4 petrol and 1.3 Multijet Turbo Diesel engines and achieve a distinct improvement in acceleration over a manual gearbox.

However. This is an Italian car; therefore DuaLogic has a manual mode where, using the gear lever, the driver can self-select gears to get the maximum pleasure out of driving the Punto.

How does this translate in fuel economy terms?
In automatic mode with the Economy key engaged, the Punto consumes less fuel than a manual gearbox. Fuel consumption with the DuaLogic fitted is 5.7 compared with 5.9 l/100 km for the 1.4 petrol and 4.5 versus 4.6 l/100 for the Multijet. The most substantial benefits are achieved around town: 6.8 compared to 7.5 l/100 km for the 1.4 petrol and 5.8 compared to 5.9 l/100 for the Multijet.
DuaLogic also boosts safety. To prevent unwanted gear changes, the system engages neutral when the engine is still running and the door has been opened and DuaLogic device also activates warning lights and buzzers to notify the driver of emergency situations or manoeuvres that are not permitted and could damage the engine or gearbox.
Source

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 14th April 2011 at 16:27.
Old 14th April 2011, 16:45   #84
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant news for me. Dad wanted to buy a Diesel Sedan, I asked him to wait for the ANHV and the Fiesta. Tons of options to choose from after this news. I personally love the Linea's looks, So its already ahead in my list. With this heart, I guess the test drive is just a formality now
Old 14th April 2011, 17:07   #85
BHPian

Other than report on TBHP, we havent got any other report saying its launching...

we all know engine exists... and that we would want it to be and it could be a natural choice for fiat to introduce, but hey haven't said that they would be doing so...

I have to purchase one diesel car around that range, new verna, Vento is the choice but linea could be another good option as i think it is the most good looking of three.... But are we sure of fiat launching so said engine in Linea...
Old 14th April 2011, 23:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
More important than getting royalties is to build a brand value. Even if half of the people who are buying a Maruti with our national 1.3 engine knew its origin, they would have at least checked out a fiat car.
If they want BRAND image they have to be aggressive like VW. I am pretty sure if Linea is selling 700 units now it wont be more than 1500 with the launch of 1.6MJD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
Even if Fiat brings in Ferrari Engine for Linea, it will never succeed. Reasons being,
1) Poor After sales Service
2) Poor Ground clearance not suited to Indian Speed breakers and pot holes
3) Cheap plastics and poor reliability
True words my friend very true!

The only Fiat car that ever excited me was Palio 1.6. I had high hopes from Punto but other than good build and handling it has nothing to offer.

I wish best of luck to FIAT with 1.6 MJD Linea and i hope they prove me wrong!

P.S. We have Punto & Figo in family and i still rate PUNTO below Figo!

Last edited by abhibh : 14th April 2011 at 23:41.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
1)I dont really agree with your points. In India all the companies except maruti have aweful service. I've experienced many such problems with say honda,hyundai,mahindra.
2)Ground clearance- It's better than the city though. But it's not the problem of the car, but the Indian roads.
3)The plastic quality of the 2011 models has been far better than that of the 2010 models. Please do have a look at it.
1) Regular service of Hyundai, Maruthi, Honda and Toyota seems to be better in our place to my experiance.
2) I have a Civic which is better compared to Linea in terms of GC, no idea about City. FIAT is not selling its car in Italy it is in India they should better look into the market requirement
3) Plastic quality of 2011 models better i have no idea but if it is feel happy for new buyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Lastly - Reliability ?? Where have Linea's had reliability problems? The issues are usually with small niggles here and there, like chrome bits falling off, etc (unless you were referring to the same thing)
Had a few problems with the suspension, brake pad wears of faster than expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
ooops i think you ended up with a lemon which dealer which model?
Not exactly it is not a lemon but stands up to its image F.I.A.T Fix It All Time

Fiat Linea Handling is at par with their European counter parts, but still FIAT needs to come out with a vehicle which will suit most of the Indians rather than just amusing the car enthusiasts. I have driven 45000 Kms in a year, and feel bad for taking a bad decision because of After Sales Service and Ground clearance issues, other than that FIAT rocks

FIAT should come out with a car like what FORD FIGO has done. Ford initially had a very bad image about its After sales service and reliability but succeeded in introducing a car that suits most of the Indians at affordable rate.

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 15th April 2011 at 08:36. Reason: Need to add further
Old 15th April 2011, 09:11   #88
BHPian

Any one has any idea about the specs of 1.6 Linea? other than engine figures? Like are they going to change the interior/ Music system(2 din)/ Add navigation system? I know it comes with 16" Alloy though.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:43   #89
xPK
BHPian

I hope we are not getting carried away here. After 3 days especially when hangover of 1.6 MJD Linea is gone. I have few concerns over speculated launch of Linea 1.6 MJD.
  1. Only confirmation on TBHP and the website who copied from TBHP. (this might mean we are too good )
  2. Nobody has spotted any test vehicle. (this would be the biggest concern, because AFAIK the test vehicles have always been spotted at least 8 months before the actual launch. Sometimes even more than 2 years before. So is FIAT launching the vehicle without testing vehicle on indian soil?)
So, I,m having a bad feeling that we are, far away from the launch. On the other hand Nobody would be more happier than me, if FIAT proves me wrong.

@Naparajito, I'm really counting on you buddy.

Sid bhai kidhar ho? Kuch to bolo yaar.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:36   #90
BHPian

Quote:
2) I have a Civic which is better compared to Linea in terms of GC, no idea about City.
It's not a fair comparison, is it? The Civic is in the higher segment and priced 5-6 lakh more.
Last week, I had my Linea MJD exchanged with my friend's ANHC for a brief drive in the city of Bangalore (in)famous for it's bumps and I had the same problem. But it has it's advantages. I owned a Opel Corsa before this it has low GC too. But I still went for the Linea because I know how nice the drive is on a highway.

Quote:
1)
FIAT is not selling its car in Italy it is in India they should better look into the market requirement
Agree

Quote:
1)
Had a few problems with the suspension, brake pad wears of faster than expected.
It would really help if you can elaborate more on this. I mean, which car was it, how long you owned it, was there an explanation given by Fiat on the problem etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks