Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 00:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea 1.6 MJD

My take on the engine options for Linea & Punto:
Linea 1.6 MJD & 1.6 Petrol TJet (Does FIAT have a 1.6L petrol in their bin)
Punto 1.3 MJD & 1.4 Petrol TJet.

FIAT should discontinue all other options. Having too many choices is just hurting their bottomline.

1.6 MJD should neither be ported to TATA or Maruti and should be ideally retained only within the LINEA range.
Old 14th April 2011, 00:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
1.6 MJD should neither be ported to TATA or Maruti and should be ideally retained only within the LINEA range.
And how many cars do you think they will sell if they launch 1.6 MJD and don't port it to Suzuki and TATA ? They have a lot to be worried about like the competition.
Vento 1.6 TDi
New Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
New Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDi

FIAT is surviving on royalties and they should continue to do so because lets face it they can't sell cars in India.
Old 14th April 2011, 01:23   #63
BHPian

This is great news

Better late then never!

So now it's time for me to save up to get a Linea 1.6 MJD

I'm right now enjoying it's lil brother - Palio MJD and the Linea 1.6 MJD is just the right upgrade.

Hope they bring it in the VGT version and if they could give it 16" alloys like the T-Jet then it would really help to improve the low GC.

Great time to be a Diesel buyer, Choices galore! -The new Fiesta is on it's way, the ANHV is also expected soon and then you have the segment leader Vento.

Hope the FIAT's marketing team will come up with a sensible campaign to let the world know that they are selling such a wonderful Car!
Old 14th April 2011, 07:54   #64
BANNED

This is fantastic, like many others I was wishing the Linea to have a bigger heart for it's beautiful body. Now this release would definitely make it "Neighbours envy owners pride", but only if they tweak the interiors to be more with the times and give a bump to their laid back A.S.S.

And of course they always screw up big time in marketing look at the Linea ad, I agree it's way better than SX4 diesel ad but it still looks immature and silly.
Old 14th April 2011, 08:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

I guess it was on the cards with Manza and SX4 getting the VGT version of the National Engine aka 1.3MJD. Fiat needed the 1.6 MJD to differentiate itself from the competition.

Good step IMO. The T-Jet and 1.6MJD should together catapult the Linea into the driver's dream car!
Old 14th April 2011, 08:44   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post

Tata and Maruti can now start plonking this engine in some of their vehicles , say Kizashi and GV, Aria etc
Tata would get this sooner. But maruti would have to wait. The kizashi would get this engine after 5 years, that is at the fag end of it's life cycle. Just like how the sx4 got the 1.3 vgt after 5 years.
Old 14th April 2011, 09:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
And how many cars do you think they will sell if they launch 1.6 MJD and don't port it to Suzuki and TATA ? They have a lot to be worried about like the competition.
Vento 1.6 TDi
New Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
New Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDi

FIAT is surviving on royalties and they should continue to do so because lets face it they can't sell cars in India.
I don't deny your point abhi.
FIAT needs to correct a lot of things, and among them would be sharing their top end engine variants. Let the 1.3MJD be shared, the 1.6MJD needs to be their flagship, having 1.6MJD ported to TATA or Maruti would only damage their numbers (getting rolyalties is a much lesser revenue than when they get to sell their own cars).
Old 14th April 2011, 10:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

More important than getting royalties is to build a brand value. Even if half of the people who are buying a Maruti with our national 1.3 engine knew its origin, they would have at least checked out a fiat car.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:12   #69
BHPian

Even if Fiat brings in Ferrari Engine for Linea, it will never succeed. Reasons being,
1) Poor After sales Service
2) Poor Ground clearance not suited to Indian Speed breakers and pot holes
3) Cheap plastics and poor reliability

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 14th April 2011 at 10:13. Reason: *** was meant for After sales service but it did come as ***
Old 14th April 2011, 10:27   #70
BHPian

@pjegadeesh- I dont really agree with your points. In India all the companies except maruti have aweful service. I've experienced many such problems with say honda,hyundai,mahindra.
2)Ground clearance- It's better than the city though. But it's not the problem of the car, but the Indian roads.
3)The plastic quality of the 2011 models has been far better than that of the 2010 models. Please do have a look at it.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
Even if Fiat brings in Ferrari Engine for Linea, it will never succeed. Reasons being,
This is a little over the top IMHO.

1) Agreed, although actual owners have been reporting acceptable levels of service.
2) This is seriously not a deal breaker. The ANHC sells, doesn't it ?
3) The plastics can be better, but its not bad either.
Lastly - Reliability ?? Where have Linea's had reliability problems? The issues are usually with small niggles here and there, like chrome bits falling off, etc (unless you were referring to the same thing)
Old 14th April 2011, 11:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
ooops i think you ended up with a lemon which dealer which model?

majority of the owners don't have so many issues.

but is true fiat needs to work on its overall perception in the Indian market

Last edited by ms001 : 14th April 2011 at 11:03.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, the sales and service is always blown out of proportion. Some dealers could be really really pathetic but that does not bring up the nationwide story. I have FIATs since 2005 and I never faced any issues with service.

The interior quality could have been better but its not that bad either. There is sure a room for improvement and they have done it with TJet. Lets not always jump to service, specially if you do NOT own a FIAT and do not face service issues.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Exactly, the sales and service is always blown out of proportion. Some dealers could be really really pathetic but that does not bring up the nationwide story. I have FIATs since 2005 and I never faced any issues with service.

The interior quality could have been better but its not that bad either. There is sure a room for improvement and they have done it with TJet. Lets not always jump to service, specially if you do NOT own a FIAT and do not face service issues.
+1 to That, its more the non-owners than actual owners who are bashing Fiat A.S.S day in and day out. I have been a Maruti customer and now a Fiat lover, I have not faced any such issues till now for which I will praise Maruti more than Fiat, but I don't blame Maruti or Hyundai owners for their concern over A.S.S. as they need to visit the service station too often where Fiat cars go in once in a Year. Sorry for being little OT,

But IMO Fiat should bring 1.6 Linea with DSG, then it will bring some tough fight to some of the big names, who names are not mentioned here for Linea being in 1.3 brigade.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:45   #75
BHPian

Here is the picture of the Dualogic gear lever.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea 1.6 MJD-fiatlineadualogic.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed