Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2006, 16:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

S2000, Legend and Acura to hit Indian Shores through CBU

Honda mulls new plant for small car

By Byas Anand/TNN

New Delhi: Japan’s Honda Motor is now looking to drive up the value ladder in India. Enthused by the growing demand for super-luxury cars in India, Honda Siel Cars plans to unleash a range of premium cars—including Legend, S2000 and the Acura line-up—on the Indian roads through the import route.
In addition, Honda is exploring the option of setting up a second plant, which would house the production lines for its premium small car, a senior company official said.
Honda Siel Cars (HSCI), Honda’s Indian arm, is examining various products from the parent’s global stables and is thinking about introducing models like Legend, S2000 and even the Acura in the domestic market, HSCI president and CEO M Takedagawa told TOI.
“Looking at the growing rush among overseas manufacturers to target the super-luxury car market, there seems to be a lot of excitement in this segment. We will now be approaching Honda with a detailed business plan to introduce these high-end models in India,’’ he said.
These models, he added, will be introduced through the completely built-up import route. “CBU imports is easy and we intend to use this to expand our presence in the premium end of the market in India,’’ Takedagawa said. HSCI today markets only one imported model, the SUV CR-V. All other products—City, Accord and the soon-to-be-launched Civic—are locally produced.
While Legend and S2000 would be introduced through Honda’s existing dealerships, Takedagawa said, the firm will have to establish a parallel franchise line-up and network for the Acura badge. “The world over, Acura is marketed through a separate set of outfits,’’ he added. While the Legend is Honda’s flagship luxury saloon with a 300-hp engine, the S2000 is a two-door sports car. The Acura line-up includes premium sedans, luxury coupes and even sports utility vehicles, and the price tags for these vehicles will range between Rs 24 lakh and Rs 1.3 crore.
“The current plant has the capacity to build 100,000 vehicles a year. This will be available only for the existing line-up in India. When we plan to get into the small car segment, we will set up a new car plant, adjacent to the existing facility in Greater Noida,’’ he said.

SMOOTH RIDE

Honda Siel Cars plans to unleash a range of premium cars—including Legend, S2000 and the Acura line-up—on the Indian roads through the import route

While Legend and S2000 would be introduced through Honda’s existing dealerships the firm will establish a parallel franchise line-up and network for the Acura badge

Source " - Todays TOI, Page 18
http://epaperdaily.timesofindia.com/
BUSA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2006, 18:13   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

AN S-9000 rpm revvin - 2000!!! When? Where do I put the deposit?

Its great to hear of such an initiative, and the only other manufacturers to offer this are DCIL, BMW and Toyota (?). Just because our market size for such high end machinery is limited does not mean that potential owners are robbed of authencity and organised after sales support by the grey market dealers.

Honda and DCIL will hardly make any money out of this - but the key is to offer their existing customers something within the portfolio to move up to, choice, branding and image.

When will Honda Motorcycles think along the same lines? How about a CBR with white money, warranty, EMIs and after sales support?

GTO
Old 18th January 2006, 21:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
AN S-9000 rpm revvin - 2000!!!
Huh??? That doesn't make much sense...
Old 18th January 2006, 21:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know what GTO means but, it doesn't make sense technically, coz the new S2000 revvs to only 8200rpm.

But what the heck. I'l have the old one. Hahahah

!!!!AN S-9000 rpm revvin - 2000!!!!! - Yeah babey!!

And one more thing, if yo'l didn't know, the Honda Legend is also known as the Acura RL, which has a 3.5 ltr V6 producing 300bhp and...........it comes with Hondas (SH-AWD) Super Handling - All Wheel Drive.

It's not only the 2nd most powerful production Honda yet (ridgeline being the first), but also the smartest.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 18th January 2006 at 21:29.
Old 18th January 2006, 22:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Not that i have driven the new one, but i seem to think that i would pick the 8200RPM S2K over the 9kRPM one.... just seems like there would be more drivable fun... not to mention the fact that its perfect gearshift got even better!

I say, put a hold on that R1 fund.... s2k on the way...
What say Rtech?

cya
R
Old 18th January 2006, 22:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I say, put a hold on that R1 fund.... s2k on the way...
What say Rtech?

cya
R
bah! I could buy a truckload of R1's for the price on 1 S2k! But the darn bike manufacturers here don't even give me that choice!!
Old 18th January 2006, 23:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

We need products like the TL to heat up the competetion and keep guys like Skoda honest.
Otherwise they think they can charge what every they want & loot the Indian customer.
Old 19th January 2006, 00:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We need products like the TL to heat up the competetion and keep guys like Skoda honest.
Otherwise they think they can charge what every they want & loot the Indian customer.
Acura TL is a much more expensive and luxorious car compared to Skoda. It will probably be priced a little less then Mercedes E, BMW 5 etc. Maybe even more then these cars if it's going to be a CBU. But boy oh boy, wouldn't the Acura TL be one awesome car to buy. I love that machine!
Old 19th January 2006, 00:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
AN S-9000 rpm revvin - 2000!!!

It means AN S"-9000 rpm revvin "2000!!!

Is that enough v1p3r or should i send u back to school??

Last edited by nitrous : 19th January 2006 at 00:39.
Old 19th January 2006, 09:07   #10
BHPian

What is the big deal? The cars will be priced so damm high thanks to the duties we have! Probably a well heeled 60's something guy will get one and be chaffeured around!

Just wish PC would atleast bring down the duty rates this time around.
Old 19th January 2006, 10:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
Just wish PC would atleast bring down the duty rates this time around.
i would like it like that..

but i feel there is only one sentiment for this "keep dreaming"

The duty should now be reduced to 50-66% max for CBUs and about 25-33% for SKD...and the 50-66% should be divided into different engine sizes like in europe.. bigger the engine more the duty but max should be 66%..this would fuel a growth which would take india automotive industry to the next level i believe..

but its sad that PC doesnt see it that way..it is one of the most important industry currently in india..

Last edited by 1Day : 19th January 2006 at 10:09.
Old 19th January 2006, 10:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Guys, you are looking at this in a pessimistic way. Think about it, expensive they may be, but atleast the buying public is being given the CHOICE to decide what he/she wants. The auto makers should be applauded for offering even the select few atleast the chance to buy a top end car here and provide a warranty and service backup etc.

I just wish our bike manufacturers wake up and offer this same choice to the Indian bike enthusiast. I would probably still not be able to afford a litre bike, but atleast the option is always there.
Old 19th January 2006, 11:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Guys, you are looking at this in a pessimistic way. Think about it, expensive they may be, but atleast the buying public is being given the CHOICE to decide what he/she wants.
Not being pessimistic buddy. Just venting out my frustrations
Its like the so near yet so far thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I just wish our bike manufacturers wake up and offer this same choice to the Indian bike enthusiast. I would probably still not be able to afford a litre bike, but atleast the option is always there.
Ya true. Saw Yamaha's showroom near Ashram in Delhi. Hope their plans materialize.
Old 19th January 2006, 20:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

yeah-read the article. honda, price the s2000 close to or around the 3.0 accord (aahhh..dreams..but could turn to reality if the duty structure pans out, as the new S retails for about 33G U.S $), and people could mistake ichibaan for siddhivinayak, by judging the queue outside the showrooms....

of course, i'm exaggerating it a li'l bit- but, a RWD..?? a honda..?? the legendary S, you say...?? hmmm...no matter if i have to beg, borrow or steal- honda shall have the pleasure of having me as one of it's customers...
Old 24th October 2013, 23:05   #15
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: S2000, Legend and Acura to hit Indian Shores through CBU

Honda is considering bringing its luxury brand Acura to India according to Autocar! It's still a long time away though.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-361673.aspx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks