Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 14:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Radiation hazards from cars being imported from Japan?

I would love to live in a state or country with Tehri dam and not Tarapore!

Developed countries have stopped new atomic plants but working at establishing them in developing countries ( business opportunities )
Old 19th April 2011, 08:40   #17
BHPian

Latest Press Release from Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association. This should allay the fears of many.

JAMA Comments on Radiation Testing Related to the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant Situation

Toshiyuki Shiga, Chairman, Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, Inc.

Work continues at Tokyo Electric Power Company’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station to stabilize conditions following the damage resulting from the massive earthquake and tsunami that struck northeastern Japan on March 11.

Notwithstanding those efforts, it appears that more time will be required to bring the situation at the plant under control.

Due to these circumstances, concerns regarding the impact of radioactive substances on motor vehicles manufactured in Japan are being directed to Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA) member automakers not only from overseas, but within Japan as well.

JAMA is fully confident in the safety of all motor vehicles manufactured in Japan. At the same time, it is aware of the need for consumers everywhere to be assured of such safety. For that reason, JAMA has initiated its own procedures to test the radiation levels of vehicles produced in Japan, having enlisted the expertise of an external authority specializing in the field.

In addition to the fact that, in all the areas where JAMA member companies maintain production bases and at all their ports of shipment, the radiation levels recorded are not harmful to human health, and the tests implemented by JAMA - which are conducted directly on various designated areas of the surface of vehicles - are showing results that fall within the range designated by the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan as being unthreatening to human health, based on the daily readings performed by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology in every prefecture since March 25. JAMA’s test results are also significantly lower than the maximum allowable limit recommended by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

In view of these findings, JAMA is entirely confident that the motor vehicles now being manufactured by its member automakers in Japan present no cause for concern to consumers, whether overseas or in Japan.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:18   #18
BHPian

friends
I have been to Japan number of times. Today Iam back form yet another trip from Japan. I would like to say that there is absolutely no problem in Iapan. There is no fear of radiation. Only the area near the power plant is having radiation which is well within limits. Guys our media has only hype the things. Iwas in Japan for one week and every thing is just normal. Friends be informed that Japan has the highest safety records.
Old 26th February 2012, 19:40   #19

HI FRIENDS I have almost finalized on NISSAN XTRAIL and the payment has to be made shortly (2/3 days). I am a regular browser of Team BHP for couple of hours a day. Today i went through this thread and i have ended up in total confusion to go far any JAPANESE CBU/CKD cars post tsunami produced ones. I made almost ten hours of net browsing on this subject today but dilemma has only increased. Any suggestions or feedback on third country inspection agency testing and reports on radiation on japanese cars and its reliability/dependability is most appreciated.
Old 27th February 2012, 01:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugamprakas View Post
HI FRIENDS I have almost finalized on NISSAN XTRAIL and the payment has to be made shortly (2/3 days). I am a regular browser of Team BHP for couple of hours a day. Today i went through this thread and i have ended up in total confusion to go far any JAPANESE CBU/CKD cars post tsunami produced ones. I made almost ten hours of net browsing on this subject today but dilemma has only increased. Any suggestions or feedback on third country inspection agency testing and reports on radiation on japanese cars and its reliability/dependability is most appreciated.
Well, the whole radiation episode is almost a year old now; I'm sure there shouldn't be any issue at all. The radiation leak and potential consequences have been well documented so all affected companies/industries would have taken necessary steps to ensure there's no harm.

As reassurance, you could mail Nissan with your apprehensions and go thru' their response to confidently go ahead with your booking.
Old 27th February 2012, 12:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would not bother. I will rather live next to Tarapore than any of the older hydel dams. I am told that Bhahra top surfrace has moved anout 4cm from its original level. Also, at that time earthquake engineering was in its infancy at best. On the other hand I hear that Tehri has been designed for a Richter 8 quake.
How is that related to the Question the OP has raised?
Did you mean to say radiation is a smaller danger than say compared to our cars getting drowned in a flood?

Last edited by Daewood : 27th February 2012 at 12:51.
Old 16th June 2014, 14:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the situation is actually getting worse there. The Japanese government is putting a lid on it.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 17:59   #23
BHPian

Edit: Sorry! Did not notice the previous post by Samurai. Hehe silly me, ironic that I was ranting about staying vigilant. I eat humble pie yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
I have been to Japan number of times. Today Iam back form yet another trip from Japan. I would like to say that there is absolutely no problem in Iapan. There is no fear of radiation. Only the area near the power plant is having radiation which is well within limits. Guys our media has only hype the things. Iwas in Japan for one week and every thing is just normal. Friends be informed that Japan has the highest safety records.
I am sorry to break your bubble, but the Govt in Japan has kept things hush-hush for a long time now. Things are still pretty bad as far as radiation hazards are concerned. For instance, the Geiger counters that the Japanese government uses in schools near Fukushima to measure radiation are all rigged to give a false sense of security.

Just watch an episode of Vice on this topic.Mind you, these folks are not conspiracy theory nutjobs, but serious journalists. It is very easy to be misled by government coverups, but it is healthy to remain cynical and question the status quo.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 16th June 2014 at 18:02.

Most Viewed