Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Making of an Indian Car TV commercial

(Didn't know how to incorporate it with my 1st post didn't see the edit option, so continuing here)

Part 3
A Day before the shoot the entire crew shifted base to Pune. Last minute checks, changes, checking cars, etc was done. (Heck they even put me in the trunk of the car to decide how to take the shot of the guy in the boot of the car, though it was decided later to make a set with the exact measurements of the Manza boot which is quite spacious.)
The set was being put into place since two days before. The lighting was done for the shoot a day in advance. Though the idea was to use the natural light as far as possible as the location had interesting slits in the ceiling from where the light came in, still to make it more interesting a mix of natural and artificial lighting was used.
Next day i reached the set at 5:00am to make sure things were in order. We were not going to shoot till 7:45 when the sun would be in the correct position to light up the warehouse.
The actors came in, they got into their make up final props were put into place. The first shot that we shot sadly was not used in the final edit of the film (but that happens to many shots which don't gel well with the complete film in the final edit)
In any case there were a lot of shots to be covered and being the first day things usually take time before everyone gets into the groove so we had to keep pushing and keep each setup ready.
Many things have to be considered while making the shoot order such as, lighting, camera angles, actor's time, complexity of the shot etc. As far as possible the light and camera setup are given first preference as once we finish all the shots in one lighting setup and camera axis we dont come back to it.
The stunts were to be done on the second day so most of the acting sequences were scheduled for the first day. THere was an overrun on the first day but we managed to cover it up on the second day.
The second day was amazing with all the stunt taking place, the rally driver was given the same costume as the lead actor to do the stunts though the sporting supporting actor (Who plays the middle aged engineer) really was scared as hell, his expressions are real as he had to be in the car at all times and was present when the car did it's crazy stunts (one in which the car narrowly misses the wall by an inch, later removed from the edit)
You can check the images attached to get an idea.
Next day was a travel day to reach kutch.
Got there late at night without any sleep and within an hour left for the location.
Getting there was a pain since well it is a dessert, out equipment got stuck though made it eventually.
Driving the car on the open dessert was a blast, i drove it for the shots where the car races off in the end and with nothing in sight you can just floor the accelerator, turn anyway and just enjoy it. Though the heat and the sun really get to you as the day progresses, you tan by at-least 3-4 shades. All in all the shoot went well and it looked really good while shooting so we were confident it would look even better once we went into post production (the next part - trying to keep the stuff as concise as possible so people dont get bored).
(P.S. all the images are copyright of the production house Pumpkin Media, the agency and the client. I request you to not reproduce it anywhere as it is only for purpose of sharing information with team BHP members)
Wanted to attach a video file as well but apparently the 3gp format does not get attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-imag0225.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-imag0230.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-imag0231.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-imag0232.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-imag0234.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-imag0238.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-imag0242.jpg  

ishaanranderia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:50   #32
dot
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the rest of the fascinating story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
The second day was amazing with all the stunt taking place
Actually the indoor stunts are quite amazing. There appears to be several near misses, which is cool in this case. I really wanted to know if the Singaporean lead actor was really driving the vehicle like that! Now we know.

Quote:
Driving the car on the open dessert was a blast, i drove it for the shots where the car races off in the end and with nothing in sight you can just floor the accelerator, turn anyway and just enjoy it.
Must have been an exhilarating experience.

Quote:
(Heck they even put me in the trunk of the car to decide how to take the shot of the guy in the boot of the car
LOL!

Good job!
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:53   #33

It is a great advt nonetheless. But, it does make me remember the coke vs pepsi commercials in the late 90s' when coke and pepsi took shots at each other. The Thums up ad promoted by Coke took a shot at a pepsi's ad featuring a chimp. The Thums up ad shouted "Dont be a bandar, taste the thunder !" Which was again retaliated by Pepsi. It was not in good taste and at best - it could be called mud slinging.

The Tata ad also takes on the Koreans and the Japs as they are shown in the commercial admiring an Indian product. But the subtlety and the brilliance of the ad is commendable beyond comparison. It jabs the koreans and Japs but still maintains an ethical aura.

The beverage guys should specially study this ad and ensure responsible ads.

Kudos to the ad agency for a brilliant concept - an audio visual treat !
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:09   #34
BHPian

This is one of the really good commercials in recent times! It shows all the important features of the Manza and it also pin points that the competition doesn't have them. Nice concept and the Manza itself looked really shining and alluring. The earlier Safari ad was well received and now the Manza ad is here. TATA sure makes good marketing of their cars
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

I do not wish to steal the thunder but the same theme was used for Punto abroad. Is it the same ad agency which did the ad for Punto?

neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:28   #36
BHPian

Thanks for showing us the behind-the-scenes action in getting an advertisement ready for the television.

The story board was a real eye-opener, how each frame is visualised and then acted so that it appears on screen (without missing a single frame).

I've seen this advertisement on Youtube umpteen number of times just because I enjoyed every scene, saw it once again today

BTW, just curious : What happens to the car that was cut from the top for the interior shooting ? If you have any photos of this car that can be uploaded, please do so. Thanks.

Last edited by danny25 : 23rd April 2011 at 15:30. Reason: Addition.
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
I loved the tune playing in the end.
The tune was used in the earlier manza commercial as well and had to get the rights from the Music director as Tata & the Agency wanted to maintain it as a brand music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Keep it coming. Are the cartoons (No offence meant but I do not know what you call them) hand drawn?
Yup people actually specialize in storyboarding for ad films and movies, its a full time job

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@ishaan . 18 days for a 2 -3 minutes ad

One question - Who gives the inputs for the story board. My guess it is the creative guys based on the brief given by the TATA motors marketing team.
Different ads have different complexities, have worked on ads that take 45 days to complete and some are done in 10 days and aired all depends.
The storyboard that is followed is the director's storyboard who sits with the artist and explains to him how he wants each shot. The artist are also trained so they have some sense of magnifications (long shot, wide, close up, etc) and lensing(a very important aspect of shot taking can get a bit complicated so not getting into it) So he grasps what the director is saying quickly, there are changes and fine tuning before the storyboard is finalized. Also at the end of the day all this is imagination so it can change quite a bit during actual shooting. Some directors follow it closely others like to see hope it shapes up on the shoot and use it only as reference, it all depends on each director's style.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:36   #38
BHPian

Hey Neo, this ad seems to be from year 2006-2007.

Looks like an "inspired" ad. Unless they did the original for FIAT.

Gets the message across nevertheless.
Old 24th April 2011, 00:17   #39
BHPian

Interesting post, thanks for sharing the details. I didnt go through the post fully yet but i thought i should thank you for postng the intricate details.

Good Post
Old 24th April 2011, 00:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing! Indeed a great experience! Any more such behind-the-scenes coming up?
Old 24th April 2011, 02:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I do not wish to steal the thunder but the same theme was used for Punto abroad. Is it the same ad agency which did the ad for Punto?

YouTube - Grande Punto Ad from Israel
thanks i just forwarded it to the German guy in my team, he does not like Fiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Hey Neo, this ad seems to be from year 2006-2007.

Looks like an "inspired" ad. Unless they did the original for FIAT.

Gets the message across nevertheless.
Well Tata sells Fiat in India no big deal they copied the content. Anyways, as i stated earlier i see 10 storyboards daily, this is a good storyboard, ad is amazing. There are better storyboards though nowadays you even get apps under GNU license for story boarding, but you need to have a design in place first.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ishaan, this is a real nice thread that you have started. We (at least I) never knew that so much effort goes into producing an ad that lasts just about a minute or so on TV and it was a real eye opener. I have many questions for you

From the pics we can see that the huge camera is attached to the rear of the car for those rear end shots; but does it affect the handling of the car in any way? One more question I always had is; do you shoot different segments at different times and then merge them during post production processing or do you shoot all the segments sequentially? Also will you please share a few more inputs on editing? That is, how do they decide (and who decides) what is shown in the final ad and what will be deleted? Do you shoot some extra segments and merge them later on?
Old 24th April 2011, 10:46   #43
BHPian

loved this ad! but yes, i did notice that the speedo lights and the DIS lights are blue in the ad but in real life they are white.
Old 24th April 2011, 13:47   #44
BHPian

Wonderful Ishaan. It's really nice to know the work going on behind scenes of an ad, that too an Indian one!!

This sure is a nice ad.
Old 24th April 2011, 20:38   #45
BHPian

Ishaan: Glad to know you are on Team-BHP! I am also happy that you are educating us on the behind-the-scenes aspect of producing commercials.

However I would like to say that I cringe whenever I see this Tata Manza ad as I first saw it immediately after the earthquake and tsunami had struck Japan. In fact if I recall correctly, I saw it on the same news-channel where I tuned to see news on the disaster.

I do believe Tata Motors should have been a little sensitive and either postponed this for a few months or shown Germans or Koreans instead.

While people like me may perhaps be a small subset of the overall Indian market, I don't think the purpose of the ad was to leave such a lasting impression.

Most Viewed