Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 16:46   #46

Re: Making of an Indian Car TV commercial

Another interesting commercial from Toyota...

Old 25th April 2011, 17:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

However I would like to say that I cringe whenever I see this Tata Manza ad as I first saw it immediately after the earthquake and tsunami had struck Japan. In fact if I recall correctly, I saw it on the same news-channel where I tuned to see news on the disaster.
I do believe Tata Motors should have been a little sensitive and either postponed this for a few months or shown Germans or Koreans instead.
Well, the Tata Manza ad was released much much before the sad Tsunami disaster hitting Japan. More over, the ad is directed against its perceived competitor and hence showing Korean or German would not get the message across.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:47   #48
BHPian

@MadhanBabu: That was a superb commercial from Toyota establishing Brand confidence very aptly. Nice one.

Thanx for sharing.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I do not wish to steal the thunder but the same theme was used for Punto abroad. Is it the same ad agency which did the ad for Punto?

YouTube - Grande Punto Ad from Israel
Looks like the theme of Manza vs Etios Tanuka San ad does have shades of Punto vs unspecified German car ad! Which one came first? Egg or the chichen?
Old 25th April 2011, 20:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Well, the Tata Manza ad was released much much before the sad Tsunami disaster hitting Japan. More over, the ad is directed against its perceived competitor and hence showing Korean or German would not get the message across.

Yup that's true media planning, the shoot etc takes place months in advance so unforeseen things like natural disasters are something they cannot plan for. It is a terrible thing but no one's intention is to hurt anyone.

In anycase will be putting up the last part of the shooting process The Post Production where the magic happens soon
Old 27th April 2011, 17:15   #51
BHPian

Steps / process before making TVC of a car

- Marketing request shoot cars to production (~ months back based on reverse calculation)
- Product team provides / freezes the car spec / features in co-ord with Marketing requirement
- Production prepares preproduction cars for shoot purpose
- Preview of shoot cars for idea generation / concept building to Ad agency
- Product team to check / confirm / correct spec & features of shoot cars
- Marketing prepares communication strategy/guidelines & share with Ad agency
- Ad agency comes up with communication creative / TVC story line & shares with higher management (lots of iteration takes place at this stage, takes 1~2 months time)
- Once the creative idea & story line is freezed (approx.), Ad agency shortlists the shoot location, production house & director based on previous assignments given
- Photo shoot of a car (for brochure, print / pop creative development) happens before TVC shoot
- Once TVC shoot venue / production house is finalized cars are sent to desired location by Logistics team (in process cars are are cut also for interior shots)
- Basically TVC shoot takes place ~ 20 days before launch
- After shoot & post production editing it is presented to higher management for approval
- All the costs happened during all these events are borne by Marketing team
- Generally photo shoots expense ~ 50 lakhs & TVC expense ~ 1 to 1.5 crores (depending on cars)
Old 27th April 2011, 17:32   #52
BHPian

Part 4

With the film in the can it's time to put it all together. So far we have collected all the pieces of the puzzle now is the time to make it one cohesive picture.

Now this shoot was not really heavy on Visual effects but there were some thing that make interesting reads.

For eg the warehouse (exterior in the desert) in the opening a wire frame was created and aged and made to match the interior in dimension.

Even the helicopter was a stock shot (existing footage) bought and pasted with the shadow created (matching the angle of the sun).
This was done as there are complications of getting an helicopter near kutch as it is near the border and an army sensitive area.

Other interesting thing was the action sequences where the camera was attached to the car (there were 3-4 rigs to get the shots seen here).

For this the visual effects guy erases the rods attaching the camera to the car and has to re create the patch of ground that was blocked by the rigged camera, it is done frame by frame and is a very time consuming process. (Just imagine 1 second has 25 frames so even 5 seconds require 125 frames to clean up, and that is when its shot at normal speed but i wont get into that)
Even the end shot where the car pulls away from the boot the transition tata logo had to be created to make it look seamless in 3d

The whole film is coloured to make it look beautiful (special artist who operate these machines)

Various edits are made 90 secs, 60, 30, 20 etc. This is a creative process again where the editor also thinks what will look good as he brings in a fresh perspective (as everyone else has been involved with the film for over a month) the director and agency go over it.
Voices are dubbed and matched, the music is created. Presentations made to agency and clients.
And there you have sounds simple (not getting into the technicalities here) but takes a lot of sleepless nights from a lot of people.
Once approved the film goes on air.
Attached Thumbnails
Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-camera.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-camera-fx-1.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-camera-fx-2.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-helicopter.jpg  

Making of an Indian Car TV commercial-warehouse.jpg  

Old 27th April 2011, 18:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

"For this the visual effects guy erases the rods attaching the camera to the car and has to re create the patch of ground that was blocked by the rigged camera, it is done frame by frame and is a very time consuming process. (Just imagine 1 second has 25 frames so even 5 seconds require 125 frames to clean up, and that is when its shot at normal speed but i wont get into that)
Even the end shot where the car pulls away from the boot the transition tata logo had to be created to make it look seamless in 3d"
Just as i thought,was wondering how they could do a such a clean shot without mounting the camera directly on the car
Old 27th April 2011, 22:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

@ishaan - I believe the car which was cut open from the top was a different car. What happens to the car on which the camera was fitted. I hope it does not end up with a dealer
Old 27th April 2011, 23:06   #55
BHPian

I remember the launch advertisement of Tata Manza being shot in Hyderabad International airport. The shooting team had brought three cars for the shoot and remember that it was fitted with gadgets all around during the shoot. Was wondering how they managed to show the ad without all that though. Thanx to Ishaan, now we have an idea on how it is done. That shoot was also for two days. First day shoot did not see any models. Only the dupes and the cars. Did not get to watch the 2nd day shoot. Later got to see the whole ad on TV.
Old 28th April 2011, 00:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Ishaan, tell me the song, I have been looking for this song across Youtube, can you tell me which is the song.

I remember one of the first few ads of Indica had song of "Lobo- I w'd love you to want me"
Old 28th April 2011, 13:38   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Ishaan, tell me the song, I have been looking for this song across Youtube, can you tell me which is the song.

I remember one of the first few ads of Indica had song of "Lobo- I w'd love you to want me"
The song is specially composed for Manza so its not like you will find it anywhere on the net.
Old 16th October 2011, 13:05   #58
BHPian

The sequel to the commercial is out now

check the link
Old 16th October 2011, 14:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
The sequel to the commercial is out now
Tata Manza - Tanuka San is back! - YouTube

check the link
not as exciting as the original one! we even had jokes about our japanese San!

this one lacks the excitement and the punch!
Old 17th October 2011, 14:06   #60
BHPian

Edit: Jokes on me. deleted.

Last edited by Warhound : 17th October 2011 at 14:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks