Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 14:13   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Passat to be auctioned on Ebay...

Maybe VW can laminate all the panels of the car, so that no additional scribbling can be done, and rain/water wont wash off the autographs. Might also provide scratch protection as a side benefit.

Otherwise this car will remain a garage trophy.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:28   #17

+1. ya..who wants a VW with IPL captains signature! Yes an extra bonnet should be given and anyways in a short while if the car is parked in a secluded place some passerby is going to etch his autograph.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Remember the Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX Sachin Tendulkar edition?

I believe, the signatures would be 'signed' similarly.

Quote:
There is no dearth of cash rich Cricket crazed people in this country.
Quote:
Cricket sells big time in India and how.
+1 . Much.. Much.. higher than the normal price.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:19   #19
BHPian

IMO, the best bet would be one of the VW showroom owners buy it and display it in their showroom and it would be a good marketing by itself! People will visit showroom as a reason to see the car !
Old 20th April 2011, 15:45   #20
BHPian

Just think of the publicity the buyer would be getting. Anything even remotely connected with cricket is news nowadays. There are enough lime-light hungry m(b?)illionaires who can buy such a car without batting an eyelid and even keep it simply for private viewing without ever exposing to sunlight.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
Would VW provide a spare bonnet for the winner, because all that is worth for the extra money is the bonnet with the autograph, and which will be prone to thefts if driven around
My sentiments exactly! Such things are targets not only for thieves but also some jeolous people. "Ahh, so many signatures, let me put mine" Bam! and you have ugly scratches!
Old 20th April 2011, 17:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

Oh brother!

The kind of marketing strategies manufacturers to exploit the cricket-crazy people amuses me. What feeds this exploitation is the fact that a huge chunk of Indians actually give in to it!

VW is going to have a wicked smile the day the auction closes!

Good point - what if the bonnet is damaged?!
Old 20th April 2011, 18:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteyogi View Post
My sentiments exactly! Such things are targets not only for thieves but also some jeolous people. "Ahh, so many signatures, let me put mine" Bam! and you have ugly scratches!
Thats the reason I am wondering the winner would ever want to take car out of the garage. He would think twice before parking and would have to keep shooing people away who would want to have a second glance at the scribblings done on the bonnet.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteyogi View Post
Thats exactly the reaosn why the owner would want to take the car out of the garage. Even if he does so, he would think a million time before parking the car even for a few minutes. Most of the time the winner would be shooing people away who would be wanting to have second glance on the scribbling done on the bonnet.
Old 20th April 2011, 21:20   #25
BHPian

Volkswagen is showing how serious it is regarding the indian market. And a slot in the ipl finals for the price of a new passat is a steal by any rate. Plus the added goodwill generated because of auction proceeds going to charity.

my guess is the auction would close anywhere between 5-10 times the car value. I also think the car will be purchased by a collector to be put straight into the garage and never to see the light of the day again.
Old 20th April 2011, 23:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...and the proceeds will be donated to the WWF.

- The auction will be held on Ebay, starting April 25, 2011 for 10 days. The winner of the auction will be given the car in a ceremony just before the start of the IPL finals.

- The Passat put up on auction will be in Highline trim, Cashmere Brown, and will sport signatures of all the team captains on its bonnet.

- Link to Ajmat's VW Passat review.

It'll be interesting to watch the bids. Anyone want to guess whether the auction will close at lower / higher than MRP?
Sir, Any idea what percentage of the proceeds will be going to WWF?
Old 21st April 2011, 03:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ummm why would I bid for a car that is freely available for outright purchase? Am I missing something here? Are the IPL players going to autograph it or something?

Edit: Oops just saw this. Sorry GTO

Pursuing the same line of thought who wants a car with autographs on its bonnet?
The same applies to a lot of other collectibles too . The BATS that get auctioned . We get cricket bats , brand new sparkling ones in the shop but people pay lakhs for the ones autographed by the cricketers . The same applies here .
Old 21st April 2011, 06:20   #28
BHPian

Why don't they just auction the bonnet? It'd be cheaper. Probably the winner could buy a new bonnet for the car and keep the "signed" one safe at home. It is likely that the whole thing is printed and lacquered, but I'm no expert.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I believe that this is a bigger carrot.
Exactly! And also, the bragging rights of being there and done that, amongst his peers.

Last edited by five46 : 21st April 2011 at 09:25. Reason: Punctuations
Old 21st April 2011, 09:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
Why don't they just auction the bonnet? It'd be cheaper. Probably the winner could buy a new bonnet for the car and keep the "signed" one safe at home. It is likely that the whole thing is printed and lacquered, but I'm no expert.
I love the idea!! "Driver bonnet change karo, club janaa hai, thoda show off karna hai"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks