Team-BHP - Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-motorsport/)
-   -   Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-motorsport/103925-preparing-gypsy-raid-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanpreet (Post 2426280)
Thats perfect and you will have enough space for ur luggage.

Thank you Aman !!! I am still stuck with the issue of trip meter. What was the external ODO meter you were talking about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amrisharm (Post 2426468)
Looks fantastic Abbas. Seems the workshop people know what they are doing. Just a question, you will be having a roof top vent right?

Hmm. I am still contemplating that. See in gypsies typically the cabin gets very warm. Earlier when i had a softtop on it. I noticed on my drive from mumbai to Vizag that air didn`t use to to get into the cabin even when both the front windows are rolled down. It was terrible to drive. I diagnosed the issue and found that when i opened the zippers on the tailgate covers, the air flow was superb. Cross ventilation you see !!!

I am planning to apply the same theory here. Instead of having a roof scoop, i might make vents on the center back of the cabin. Hence, when i roll down the windows a little, it will create cross ventilation. My main objective is to have a roof of single sheet metal. Don`t want to drill or cut anything into it. This will ensure strength of the roof and will have no chances of leaks.

A thermal insulation later will also be put in between the floor and rubber mats to keep the heat out as much as possible.

P.S. The temp there is going to be supercool anyway. Infact the cabin heat will keep us warm and cozy stupid:

This is coming out very well Abbas. This was something which i had always planned to do when i brought it. However i still feel, you should get a rollcage done now than later. Wishing you the very best in your project.

Cheers,
Raj

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbas (Post 2426757)

Hmm. I am still contemplating that. See in gypsies typically the cabin gets very warm. Earlier when i had a softtop on it. I noticed on my drive from mumbai to Vizag that air didn`t use to to get into the cabin even when both the front windows are rolled down. It was terrible to drive. I diagnosed the issue and found that when i opened the zippers on the tailgate covers, the air flow was superb. Cross ventilation you see !!!

I am planning to apply the same theory here. Instead of having a roof scoop, i might make vents on the center back of the cabin. Hence, when i roll down the windows a little, it will create cross ventilation. My main objective is to have a roof of single sheet metal. Don`t want to drill or cut anything into it. This will ensure strength of the roof and will have no chances of leaks.

A thermal insulation later will also be put in between the floor and rubber mats to keep the heat out as much as possible.

P.S. The temp there is going to be supercool anyway. Infact the cabin heat will keep us warm and cozy stupid:

I was under the exact same impression as you about it being cold up there in the hills until i read team-bhp member "Passiontodrive" 's posts. He had mentioned how the cabin gets quite hot up there as well and that he had to keep his windows down during the RDH event in his rally prep Gypsy. If you have not had a chat with him then i would strongly recommend you to do so. He takes part in the RDH regularly, and last year in 2010, he took part in the adventure category in his Gypsy. A very friendly fellow member of team-bhp, who is willing to answer any question no matter how novice it may sound.

And your idea about a vent at the back is quite interesting. Will check back with you to get your feedback on that after your RDH trip ;).

This is the present status of the work. Car should be completely done up in a week.

Is it true that all Rally Gypsys should have double shocks setup?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmosedici (Post 2455404)

Not necessarily but is recommended.

Hi Abbas,

If you put double shocks, u will we grouped under Pro-Stock categorey. If you want to compete under stock categorey then don't put double shocks.

Cheers!

Alok

and also needed to ask whether changing the setup from stock to a double shock setup is an easy one or complicated procedure. Does it also affect the on road / off road behaviour of the vehicle. Does it actually provide more damping / comfort or is it seen as more of a provision just in case one of the shocks fail during heavy or stressfull driving.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmosedici (Post 2455404)

As sudev said, not necessary in stock category.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 2455563)
Not necessarily but is recommended.

Thank you sudevji. Now, coming to the trip meter issue in gypsy, i have bought a garmin 60 csx without reading much about it withstupid . Sir, will this device give me total odo reading, trip reading and my speed? Will this solve my navigation issues?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4Power (Post 2457191)
Hi Abbas,

If you put double shocks, u will we grouped under Pro-Stock categorey. If you want to compete under stock categorey then don't put double shocks.

Cheers!

Alok

Alok right ?

How are you doing. Competing this year?

Yes, i am aware of that. I am making the least amount of changes to the car. Infact Rally cabin and GPS is the the only changes i am making. Both the changes are absolutely necessary since they don`t allow softtop and for navigation the analog odo will not work since it does not even have a trip meter.

In adventure category (Stock cars), cars like alto, sx4 are competing and finishing without any changes. Its kind of a vacation for couples or friends. I am doing just that. No rally seats, roll cage, or other expensive gear. Just going there for the experience this time.

Now, you might ask, why buy a gypsy then which practically speaking does not give u comfort, space, has a stiff ride which will tire you very quickly. Heck, has a century old odo meterlol:

Its because, insha allah next year, i plan to take it pro stock, then going forward to xtreme. This trip is purely for observation sake.

Abbas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4Power (Post 2457191)
Hi Abbas,

Cheers!

Alok

Which probably isn't a bad thing this year. From the RDH website, there are 63 vehicles in "Stock Amateur", but only 4 in "Pro-Stock Amateur"! And since Raid gives only class prizes, obviously better to compete in a class with fewer entries..

Pro-Stock needs other things too though - seats, seat belts, roll cage, circuit breaker etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbas (Post 2457271)
will this device give me total odo reading, trip reading and my speed? Will this solve my navigation issues?

Yes to both. But in a GPS (1) you can't enter a correction factor or (2) correct the reading at determinate points. Not a big issue in Raid because apparently (1) routes are set using GPS so the 'correction factor' will be very close to or equal to 1 (2) very hard to lose your way in the mountains, so your odo will almost always be close to what the road book says.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmonk (Post 2457323)
Which probably isn't a bad thing this year. From the RDH website, there are 63 vehicles in "Stock Amateur", but only 4 in "Pro-Stock Amateur"! And since Raid gives only class prizes, obviously better to compete in a class with fewer entries..

This equation changes by Sept end, last year also it happened like this.

@Abbas - I am doing good, I am not competing this year since I am doing INRC's. The budget has already exceeded my CTCplease: so no other rallies this year.

After Sudev sir's training session you will definetly finish on podium provided u get ur calculations right & keep your vehicle running. In RDH they give the waypoints to adventure categorey participants, so you can cross check your timing & routes w.r.t these waypoints.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 2421673)
Yes if there was no penalty factor for using GPS I would also advise but....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbas (Post 2457271)
i have bought a garmin 60 csx

Just saw this year's SR, pretty tough on equipped teams - Terratrip users start with a handicap of 6 mins, GPS users with 9 mins..

1. Factor "0": Competitors using a simple calculator + car odometer + normal digital watch. No factor i.e. a minute’s penalty will read as 00:01:00. It is permitted to shift the simple odometer in front of the navigator.

2. Factor "1": Competitors using any Rally computers (Terratrip 202 + Terratrip 303) giving a 10 mtr measurement, in addition to their other systems of calculation. Casio mini computers with TSD software, PDA users will fall into this category as will Scientific or other programmable calculators. Factor 1 will incur a flat penalty of 1 minute per Leg, in addition to penalties earned while running the course.

3. Factor "2": GPS waypoints will be given to competitors in the Adventure Trial 2011. Competitors using a GPS a will be applied a flat factor i.e. a days penalty will read as:- Day penalties + 0:01:30 secs Factor 2 will incur this flat penalty per Leg, in addition to penalties earned while
running the course.

4. Factor "3": Tripy II users will incur a flat penalty of 2 minutes per Leg, in addition to penalties earned while running the course.

Wonder what's so special about Tripy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmonk (Post 2460908)
Just saw this year's SR, pretty tough on equipped teams - Terratrip users start with a handicap of 6 mins, GPS users with 9 mins..

That is some serious penalties.

My case (Gypsies in general)

Gypsies does not have a trip meter and the analog odo is unreliable. So now, if i install a simple digital odo meter on the navigator side, will this come under factor O? I think not, since it involves installation of a probe which is something similar to Terratrip. So this might be considered as factor 1.

So i have no other option but to go for either factor 1 or factor 2.

Now, satish you have a GV which has a digital odo and a digital trip meter. Why don`t you go ahead with the traditional HMS way? Afterall 6 mins is a lot of penalties.

@abbas : I do not think installing a simple odometer on navigators side would push you beyond factor zero. All odometers have some or the other probe so that is not the issue here. The issue s use of equipment where you can reset or calibrate quickly and many times.

You can ask a direct question from HMA. Did you check with amanpreet on what he was offering?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbas (Post 2461550)
Now, satish you have a GV which has a digital odo and a digital trip meter. Why don`t you go ahead with the traditional HMS way? Afterall 6 mins is a lot of penalties.

We will be using HMS. But can't do without Terratrip. Basically because that's what we practice with.

Also, Terratrip reduces driver-navigator interaction, big thing in our case - the more we talk, the more we fight :)

But yeah, if as a team we were comfortable (not just about being competitive, but having a less painful 6 days!) with stock odo, would've gone with it.

I think our chances of a podium have come down exponentially now - most good navigators who've been doing this for years are very good with stock odo and a 6 minute lead is pretty big.

I am sure HMA will let you mount an odometer in front of the navigator without any penalty factor if it is a 'simple' one (as in, can't be corrected and can't be calibrated by user). And since you've done well in an event with a stock odo (are you going with the same navigator?), you should do fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 2461572)

Hi Sudev, Why would Tripy attract bigger penalties? Is it correctable? Or may be HMA is giving tracks with instructions in Tripy format? (Is that possible..?)