Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 15:43   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Preparing a Gypsy For RDH 2011

Do not know if they will give tracks in tripy format. Getting just way points makes the task of guessing correction factor easier. BUT (note its a big but) is it worth the additional penalties?? Look at last years results and differences between top few team at end of the rally.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 18:44   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
BUT (note its a big but) is it worth the additional penalties??
Not worth it, especially for Abbas who has done well with stock odo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
analog odo is unreliable. So now, if i install a simple digital odo meter on the navigator side
Sorry, meant to ask this before, why is the analog one unreliable? And why are you specifically looking for a digital meter?

From what I've seen in events here: when teams use stock odo, analog ones are preferred since they can 'kind of make out' the second decimal place while the last digit is turning over. Digital jumps from .1 to .2 in one shot - so no way to guesstimate the 10m intervals..
Old 20th August 2011, 21:14   #48
BHPian

The work has been slow. This is where we have reached till now. Paint job finished just this evening. All the other fixtures should go in a day or two and we should be finished.

PS: Sorry for the picture quality. Shall post better pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-g1.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-g2.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-g3.jpg  

Last edited by Abbas : 20th August 2011 at 21:17.
Abbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 12:21   #49
BHPian

Guys i am looking for this crash guard. The main purpose of it is to mount lights. Any idea which make or model this is. Its a very common thing found in most of the rally prep`ed gypsies.
Attached Thumbnails
Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-gb.jpg  

Old 24th August 2011, 08:28   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO: I would seriously think about not adding further heavy weight of crash guard up front. One they tend to break and two the mount point on underside have to be drilled in chassis. It is better to mount small hella 500's (or equivalent) on the front bumper only with top adjust support strap mounted on the top bonnet cross member.

I cannot find immediate pics of what I am writing but I hope you get the point.
Old 27th August 2011, 14:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO: I would seriously think about not adding further heavy weight of crash guard up front. One they tend to break and two the mount point on underside have to be drilled in chassis. It is better to mount small hella 500's (or equivalent) on the front bumper only with top adjust support strap mounted on the top bonnet cross member.

Point taken sudevji. So now, dropped the idea. Infact Raj had drilled holes in the front bumper for mounting lights which the paint shop has forgot to cover it up with metal paste. So now will be using the existing holes to mount new lights.
Old 28th August 2011, 00:43   #52
BANNED

Quote:

Waiting for a pic. So is a heavier than stock bumper not at at all recommended or only for the rallying application use case?

--Ragul
Old 28th August 2011, 09:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally I would say for all cases. In rally especially so as the car goes through bumps at much higher speeds and frequency. This causes huge stress on the mount areas. And so many times we see rally cars going into stage with extra lights etc. only to find them missing at the end of stage.

Incidentally the lights should be in pairs as per rally regulations. So if you come out of a stage with only one of pair of extra light it is better to take it off also else you will pay scrutiny fines.
Old 29th August 2011, 13:41   #54
BHPian

Finally after 54 days at the workshop, got her home yesterday. Hope you guys like it. Have not taken interior shots. Will post soon.

Next on the agenda:

1. A pair of lights on the front bumper
2. Reading lamps inside the cabin
3. An additional trip meter in front of the navigator
4. Tool Kit & Spares
5. Ice Box

Then i am done with prep's.
Attached Thumbnails
Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-1.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-2.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-3.jpg  

Abbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 20:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Simply Sexy! Why did i sell this.
The outcome is fantastic. I see you have mounted the front indicators 'Ulta'. Please seal the external antenna hole as well and also remove the lone mud flap hanging at the rear right. And please also remove the Red round parking sticker from the windshield. Thats my office parking sticker. Are those the original gypsy mirrors, if yes then i suggest you get it changed as they keep changing directions with every bump.

Please post some interior pics as well. Looks GREAT.

Cheers,
Raj

Last edited by Desmosedici : 29th August 2011 at 20:25.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 00:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Finally after 54 days at the workshop, got her home yesterday. Hope you guys like it. Have not taken interior shots. Will post soon.

Next on the agenda:

1. A pair of lights on the front bumper
2. Reading lamps inside the cabin
3. An additional trip meter in front of the navigator
4. Tool Kit & Spares
5. Ice Box

Then i am done with prep's.
The Red bull theme looks cool...
Just send them a snap of your beauty. You might get sponsorship.
Any plans to put stickers?
When you mount extra lamps, use a flat bar underneath the bumper's plate. This will help in distributing the load due to vibrations.

from the picture I think the front suspension is a bit low.
Please check the front leaf springs.
MexXxentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 14:27   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
The Red bull theme looks cool...
Just send them a snap of your beauty. You might get sponsorship.
Any plans to put stickers?
When you mount extra lamps, use a flat bar underneath the bumper's plate. This will help in distributing the load due to vibrations.

from the picture I think the front suspension is a bit low.
Please check the front leaf springs.
You are spot on ! How did u get guess the redbull theme. Did i mention that somewhere in the thread?

I bought a redbull can and gave them to get inspiration. HA HA!

Gimme some leads, as in whom to get in touch. Will send them the pics for sponsorship.

Point taken about the lights. Will look into it. Regarding the front suspension, i had my doubts. The leafs on the front are flat. They are not like the curved once on the back. Is that the normal position. I asked my mechanics and they say its normal. Needs inputs from experts on this.

Last edited by Abbas : 30th August 2011 at 14:28.
Old 30th August 2011, 14:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Simply Sexy! Why did i sell this.
The outcome is fantastic. I see you have mounted the front indicators 'Ulta'. Please seal the external antenna hole as well and also remove the lone mud flap hanging at the rear right. And please also remove the Red round parking sticker from the windshield. Thats my office parking sticker. Are those the original gypsy mirrors, if yes then i suggest you get it changed as they keep changing directions with every bump.

Please post some interior pics as well. Looks GREAT.

Cheers,
Raj
Is it ulta? didn`t notice.

Actually i took these pics on sunday. I gave the car back to workshop and got a new antenne. Plus have got all 4 Mudflaps. 2 on the rear fitted and getting the clamps ready for the front 2.

Regarding the sticker: I know. Lets keep your legacy alive.

Mirrors: These are the original once. Yes, you are right, they are loose. have to find a way to keep it sturdy.

Interior Pics: Sure. Coming Soon.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it ulta? didn`t notice.

Actually i took these pics on sunday. I gave the car back to workshop and got a new antenne. Plus have got all 4 Mudflaps. 2 on the rear fitted and getting the clamps ready for the front 2.

Regarding the sticker: I know. Lets keep your legacy alive.

Mirrors: These are the original once. Yes, you are right, they are loose. have to find a way to keep it sturdy.

Interior Pics: Sure. Coming Soon.
The Orange Blinkers should be on the outside, the old MG410s had the indicators that way i guess .

Regd the mirrors, go for Bolero ones (Lumax Brand) or the Omni Mirrors. You would need to drill an additional hole if you have already sealed the ones i had put in. The original ones will never show you the road and its a pain and if you put the bolero / omni ones, put it an inch or so further towards the front, it helps to have a a better coverage of the road on the sides.

and yea, with that sticker you can easily come into my office area and they will be wondering who is this 2nd weird guy who gets a gypsy to office (1st one being me)
Old 13th September 2011, 10:36   #60
BHPian

The solution to the trip meter issue has been found. I shall post the details with photos soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks