Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 12:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Preparing a Gypsy For RDH 2011

Thanks Aman for putting down these points.

I believe you are the one who did harjeev`s gypsy. As mentioned pro stuff that is to say the least.

However, i have mentioned by practical issue in my earlier post. Hope people here understand.

Acha, please find my comments in bold and reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanpreet View Post
Hi Abbas, going through your thread firstly you need to be sure of what you want from your gypsy. If you have plans of doing Raid this year i would strongly suggest as follows.
1. Roll cage+++ Adventure cat doesn`t need it right?
2. cabin Doing it but if you can help me with dimensions, i would greatly appreciate. See the pic of the car i posted in post #1
3. basic strengthening of the engine mounts, coolant bottle, wiper bottle,4x4 and main gearbox. Yes that is in my checklist
4. right size mud flaps have them for the 4 wheels but whats that in the front ?
5. cut off switch Yes i have this, and it will be installed
6. fire extinguisher 2 kg dry power Also on checklist
7. rally seats( you need them i have them) not compulsary in TSD but you would be more comfortable in those than the originals. Please PM me the details
8. belts not necessary but for safety 4 pointers seat belts. If i am going for the seats, this will be incorporated
9. reading lights yes, i have them
10. GPS As said, relying on the HMS way. Lets see if it works
11. bonnet fasterners I am on a look out for these, Help me
12. drive shaft loops have No idea. Please shed light
13. toe hook demarkations Yes, will be done
14. snow chains Will buy when i reach the venue. Easily available as told by HMS guys
15. never run tyres without tube( personal experience) Okay this is something to worry. I have Yoko Geos 215/75/15 almost brand new which is tubeless. I was planning to do the raid with this. Please advise now. and what was your expi
16. headers and air intake system( helps you in high climbs and alltitude areas) optional. Mine is an MPFI. I have heard Carb once have an issue. Whats your say?

These are the basic requirements that you need to enter raid in TSD.
FYI please build the roll cage to save cost afterwards and the front windscreen is the best bet for cabin glass.
Cheers..

Abbas.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The flaps in the front prevent water splash on to windscreen when you go through streams enroute.

Agree with Aman on rally seats - the bucket is so deep that your get no side to side movement and hence do not tire out. Seats and four pointers need not go hand in hand though advisable.

Bonnet fasteners are something that you see on the truck bonnets. Rubber pull straps with metal anchors. Extreme rally guys use steel bolt, washers and eyelet split pins.

Drive shaft loops are old or new fan belts hung from the chassis so that the loops are below the propeller shaft. In case of U joint breakage the shaft does not drop back.

I would not fully agree with many that tubeless do not work. In fact with tubeless even if you do get a puncture the repair is in-situ job and does not take more than couple of minutes. Read the thread on tubeless puncture kit on the forums here. Carry infaltor can and compressors. A good tubeless tyre should last the raid. They did in the Moughal rally last year for me. Additionally think of using SLIME treatment that automatically prevents and seals small punctures.

HMS would be a good way if you can lick the issue of trip meter odo.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. basic strengthening of the engine mounts, coolant bottle, wiper bottle,4x4 and main gearbox.
Hi Aman,

Can you share more about strengthening of the engine mounts for a Gypsy?

How is it done, what mounts are used etc.
Old 7th July 2011, 17:28   #19
BHPian

Hi Khan Sultan,
Hmm very difficult to take pics but for the rally we weld the entire engine mount, tie the mountings across with steel wire. Why we do this is because once u break the mounts the engine is still holding with the help of the wire.
For wiper bottle and coolant bottle nothing can beat any timing belt, tie it around the entire bottle.
@ Abbas the measurement for the cabin what i make is Top from the windscreen till the back of the centre pillar is 41", the angle from the top with the roof is 12" and the from the side bottom is 23".
Rest Mr Sudev has mentioned and explained all points, regarding the tyres TSD you have time to fix with the puncture kit but the extreme guys dont have time... The moment u hit a rock and your rim bends there you go, have a flat tyre.. Any extreme cars will be running with tubes for sure. I did make the mistake going tubeless last years Raid and i had 8 punctures, 5 punctures in 1 stage.
Abbas again roll cage is not mandatory, its a safety feature. The call is yours trying to save some extra buck, later you ll be spending more to fix it back.
Mpfi engines are far way better than carbs, ECM senses everthing and adjusts as per conditions. Headers and Air filter helps in better performance.
Regarding the seats give ur email id and i ll have the details mailed to you.
Cheers..
amanpreet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 17:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
@ Abbas the measurement for the cabin what i make is Top from the windscreen till the back of the centre pillar is 41", the angle from the top with the roof is 12" and the from the side bottom is 23".

Abbas again roll cage is not mandatory, its a safety feature. The call is yours trying to save some extra buck, later you ll be spending more to fix it back.

Cheers..
Thanks Aman for the Dimensions. I am contemplating a bolt type arrangement for the cabin with spring washer and rubber bidding. This will reduce noise and should be easy to remove later on if i go for a roll cage . whats your say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

HMS would be a good way if you can lick the issue of trip meter odo.
You are gonna help me find a way out .... Right?
Old 8th July 2011, 00:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Khan Sultan,
Hmm very difficult to take pics but for the rally we weld the entire engine mount, tie the mountings across with steel wire. Why we do this is because once u break the mounts the engine is still holding with the help of the wire.
For wiper bottle and coolant bottle nothing can beat any timing belt, tie it around the entire bottle.
Rest Mr Sudev has mentioned and explained all points, regarding the tyres TSD you have time to fix with the puncture kit but the extreme guys dont have time... The moment u hit a rock and your rim bends there you go, have a flat tyre.. Any extreme cars will be running with tubes for sure. I did make the mistake going tubeless last years Raid and i had 8 punctures, 5 punctures in 1 stage.
Mpfi engines are far way better than carbs, ECM senses everthing and adjusts as per conditions. Headers and Air filter helps in better performance.
Cheers..
Yes, i remember your 5 punctures in one stage aman , running tubes IS recommended at least for the xtreme category participants , i had 3 punctures last year , 1 right on the baralachala pass , moreover since the rims bend easily , you will be able to continue if you have a tube.i would also strongly recommend a GPS , you have mentioned in one of your earlier posts Abbas that you dont plan to get one , would highly recommend that you do.

Salman
Old 8th July 2011, 07:03   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@Salman - seriously why should one have GPS for Raid? I think it is not a good accessory when you are penalised for having it in terms of penalty. Yes if there was no penalty factor for using GPS I would also advise but....

@Abbas - Aman can help you here is suggesting alternate speedo/odo to be used in Gypsy. The OE one is a problem to read and has no trip meter.
Old 8th July 2011, 07:34   #23
BHPian

I have come with with a digital ODO meter for the Navigator, i have not tried it yet but i feel this would be perfect for my use atleast.
I am not sure whether Bolt on cabins are allowed, What i know is it has to be properly welded on each sides. My suggestion is you have spot welds on the sides and the pieces joining the rear glass part and the bottom part. From the windscreen you can have the entire thing riverted and then filled with body fillers for paint job.
Cheers..
Old 8th July 2011, 15:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I have come with with a digital ODO meter for the Navigator, i have not tried it yet but i feel this would be perfect for my use atleast.
I am not sure whether Bolt on cabins are allowed, What i know is it has to be properly welded on each sides. My suggestion is you have spot welds on the sides and the pieces joining the rear glass part and the bottom part. From the windscreen you can have the entire thing riverted and then filled with body fillers for paint job.
Cheers..
Can you share some more details of the ODO. And yes, i asked the RDH guys about bolt on setup. Its perfectly fine with them. The cabin will be welded at the sides for added strength.

Last edited by Abbas : 8th July 2011 at 15:38. Reason: added text
Old 8th July 2011, 15:43   #25
BHPian

These are the WIP pics. Garage guys have made a roof and this is how it looks. Also marked are the dimensions.

The numbers must be difficult to read for some. Its 11 inches on the top and 22 inches on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-img00061201107081505.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-img00062201107081505.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-img00063201107081507.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-img00064201107081507.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-img00065201107081510.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-img00066201107081510.jpg  

Last edited by Abbas : 8th July 2011 at 15:45. Reason: added text
Old 8th July 2011, 17:17   #26
BHPian

What i notice is the metal sheet is not fresh and what guage are you using to build the cabin , please make sure to remove all the rust otherwise later you ll have problems.
The Odo meter is very simple it gives digital reading of kms and there is a trip button attached to it. And yes the speedometer is inbuilt in that as well.
Cheers.
Old 9th July 2011, 13:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
What i notice is the metal sheet is not fresh and what guage are you using to build the cabin , please make sure to remove all the rust otherwise later you ll have problems.
The Odo meter is very simple it gives digital reading of kms and there is a trip button attached to it. And yes the speedometer is inbuilt in that as well.
Cheers.
Its a new sheet. Its just that its been raining like crazy here in vizag for the past 1 week. Has caught a littlw rust. Will be taken care when it goes to painting.

Tell me more about the ODO. Seems like this will solve my problem.
Old 9th July 2011, 17:05   #28
BHPian

@ Aman: its 18 gauge sheet. Also, Since now the space behind the driver / co driver seat is created. What does gypsy guys use it for during the Raid?

I will be using it for personal luggage and utilities. I hope the space is not for something essential which i am forgetting.

This is how its coming out :
Attached Thumbnails
Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-1.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-2.jpg  

Preparing a Gypsy For the RAID!-3.jpg  

Old 12th July 2011, 07:57   #29
BHPian

Thats perfect and you will have enough space for ur luggage.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:50   #30
BHPian

Looks fantastic Abbas. Seems the workshop people know what they are doing. Just a question, you will be having a roof top vent right?

Most Viewed