Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2006, 12:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

ACI Speedrun '06, Mumbai: Regs / Questions / Info

This is the Official Thread for the Mumbai Speedrun that will run on February 24 - 26 2006 at Khargar, Mumbai.

Please do not discus what cars are running or which tuner is running what. Continue with the older thread for that kind of talk. This is a simple Q&A thread to clear any doubts participants or would- be participants may have.

Basic Info is as follows:
Closing Date for Entries:
Standard Entries (Rs.500): Feb 20 6pm
Late Entries (Rs.1000): Feb 22 6pm

Documents required:
- Special race / rally insurance cover - OPTIONAL
- High Risk personal Accident Insurance (Min. Rs.1,50,000)
- Driving licence
- MAI Competition licence
- Copy of licence to be handed over at the time of entry
- 4 Passport size photographs of the competitor
- Copy of Registration book to be handed over at the time of entry
- Authority letter from owner of vehicle if driver is not the owner

Classes
Indian Classes:
Indian cars are classified as cars that have been homologated with the ARAI as of 1st February 2006. No car with a foreign Engine will be allowed to take part in the Indian Cars Category.

I. Pro-stock Classes - A vehicle may enter only one of the following categories. Only 1 driver per car is allowed.
a. Upto 1100 CC

b. 1101 to 1400 CC
c. 1401 to 1600 CC
d. 1601 to 2000 CC
e. 2001 and Above
f. Zen with engine upto 1400 CC (Indian engine)

II. Forced Induction / Nitrous Classes (FI/N)- A vehicle may enter only one of the following categories and the Indian Open category. Only 1 driver per car is allowed.
Either nitrous OR supercharging / turbo charging of cars allowed, not both.
a. 1101 to 1400 CC
b. 1401 to 1600 CC
c. 1601 to 2000 CC
d. 2001 and Above
e. Zen with upto 1400 CC (Indian engine)

III Indian Open
Production Indian car body with Indian engines (head, block & gearbox casing). 2 drivers per car are allowed.

Classifications for Foreign cars
A vehicle may enter only one of the following categories and the unrestricted category. No car with an Indian Engine will be allowed to take part in the Foreign Cars Category.

I. Pro stock Class - Only 1 driver per car is allowed.
a. Foreign cars Up to 2000 CC
b. Foreign cars 2001 to 3000 CC
c. Foreign cars 3001 and above

II. Forced Induction & Nitrous Classes - Only 1 driver per car is allowed. Nitrous OR supercharging / turbo charging of cars allowed but not both.
a. Foreign cars Up to 2000 CC
b. Foreign cars 2001 to 3000 CC
c. Foreign cars 3001 and above

Unrestricted Class.
This class is open to all Indian cars with foreign engines, foreign cars and Specials, single seater and non-production vehicles.
2 drivers per car are allowed.

Multiplication factor in Pro-stock classes
Petrol - 1.7
Diesel - 1.5
This multiplication factor will not be applicable for the Forced induction classes.

Modifications allowed for Pro-stock classes & FI/N classes
i. Engine head, block and gearbox casing have to be as supplied by the manufacturer.
ii. Over boring of the engines is allowed as long as they do not exceed the CC limit in which the car is entered. For e.g. car entered in upto - 1100CC cannot be over bored beyond 1100CC.
iii. Internal parts of the engine head, block and gearbox are free.
iv. OE Turbo/supercharger allowed in Pro-stock class. Aftermarket intercooler allowed.
v. Axles, suspension and mounting points, brakes, rims are free.
vi. Tyres are free, but must be street legal. Slick tyres and “Race only” tyres are not allowed for Pro-stock class.
vii. Interior trims and lightening of vehicle free. However removal of OE flooring, firewalls, doors, bumpers, front & rear windscreens and windows is not permitted. Windows must be closed during races, need not be operable.
viii. Non-OE body kits/wings/spoilers may be permitted provided they are securely mounted.
ix. Seats must be Properly braced, framed and supported. Seats constructed of aluminum, composite material, double layer poly or fibreglass (automotive accessory seats) permitted.

Modifications allowed for Unrestricted class
i. Only one internal-combustion reciprocating automotive-type
All non-production open cars must have a roll cage conforming to the FIA standards as prescribed in Appendix J of the Code, and four-point harness.
ii. If a vehicle has no doors, then a roll cage is compulsory.
iii. The vehicle must have a firewall between the engine and the driver as well as a firewall between the fuel tank and the driver
iv. Seat must be Properly braced, framed and supported seats constructed of aluminum, composite material, double layer poly or fiberglass (automotive accessory seats) permitted.
v. The Chief Scrutineer may recommend the exclusion of any vehicle that he deems unsafe or a danger to others.

Last edited by Rtech : 13th February 2006 at 12:11.
Old 13th February 2006, 12:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

A few doubts:

1. Does this mean that the old Indian Car with Foreign Engine class has been totally scrapped?

2. You mention a mutli factor of 1.5 for diesel and 1.7 for petrol. Is this only for those people who wish to use FI in the pro-stock class?

3. Does this mean that pro-stock cars cannot compete in the Indian open or Open classes?

4. Can a pro-stock car run in the FI classes?

I'd like to applaud the MAI on taking this step of separating NA and FI. Hopefully the sport will change for the better.
Old 13th February 2006, 12:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

1. Does this mean that the old Indian Car with Foreign Engine class has been totally scrapped?
Well, there is no specific category for it. They can run in the Unrestricted class.

2. You mention a mutli factor of 1.5 for diesel and 1.7 for petrol. Is this only for those people who wish to use FI in the pro-stock class?
This is for cars running OE turbos in the Pro-stock class. Multiplication factor does not apply to FI/NOS classes.

3. Does this mean that pro-stock cars cannot compete in the Indian open or Open classes?
Correct.

4. Can a pro-stock car run in the FI classes?
No. He must choose one class to run in.
Old 13th February 2006, 14:06   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Multiplication factor in Pro-stock classes
Petrol - 1.7
Diesel - 1.5
This multiplication factor will not be applicable for the Forced induction classes.
Call me stupid .. But just a doubt .. So the multi factor is just for stock cars with either TC/SC right ??? Or is this to encourage even diesel cars (with tuning chips) to participate along with the petrols.. Therefore giving a multi for all petrol cars and diesel cars participating to even out things..

Quote:
Either nitrous OR supercharging / turbo charging of cars allowed, not both.
Whats the logic behind this ?? If u dont mind me asking .. If one is looking at setting up both NOS & TC on the same car , he cant race ??? I thinks thats a drawback for those trying to get best timings .. Or can they run this setup in open class (unrestricted that is both indian/foreign) ..

So in the indian open we cant see any single seaters like the LGB's run ??? Bcoz u mentioned they have to be production cars ..

Lastly , suppose i have a NOS setup on my car and i run it in the pro-stock class with the bottle and the solenoids removed , it effectively eliminates my chances from taking part in the indian/unrestricted open & the FI open ???? Now i think thats the biggest flaw .. What if i need to see what my car would clock with/without NOS ..

Also as the last drag , that is burnout held at bangy was licensed by the MAI/FMSCI .. Will all the participants who were disqualified be dealt with ?? As in i heard there is some penalty which prevents one from racing for 1 drag or is it 1 year .. This issue has to be taken up sternly to prevent cheating ... What are the governing bodies stand on this ??

However , we welcome the changes .. Separating the classes for NA & FI cars in itself is a great achievement .. Hats off to u guys for starting this move .. However i hope with time the other flaws will soon be eradicated .. Long live motorsports ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 13th February 2006 at 14:23.
Old 13th February 2006, 14:29   #5
BANNED

Finally , does autocarindia have its own timing lights to end all kinds of specultaions flying around or do we still depend on the timing equipment from FRK Racing (and with it the controversies) ??

And also do participants get timing slips with RT (reaction time) , ET (elapsed time) & TT (total time) ..

And what are the measures taken to prevent crowd from running onto the track like its been happening year after year .. Last thing we need is to get the foreign cars / bikes category cancelled because of some nuts wanting to show their 30 seconds of brain short circuitry .. Any entrance fee for spectators ??
Old 13th February 2006, 15:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

I was expecting a long reply from Mclaren, and he didn't disappoint!

Quote:
Call me stupid .. But just a doubt .. So the multi factor is just for stock cars with either TC/SC right ??? Or is this to encourage even diesel cars (with tuning chips) to participate along with the petrols.. Therefore giving a multi for all petrol cars and diesel cars participating to even out things..
This is an FIA regulation. If it encoruages some diesel cars, thats great, however they wouldn't stand a chance really.

Quote:
Whats the logic behind this ?? If u dont mind me asking .. If one is looking at setting up both NOS & TC on the same car , he cant race ??? I thinks thats a drawback for those trying to get best timings .. Or can they run this setup in open class (unrestricted that is both indian/foreign)
As mentioned clearly in the quick reference chart - Indian Open and Unrestricted is a free-for-all. Thats where serious tuners would want to show their skills. NOS or TC is to add competition between tuners as well as enlighten the public as to which one is better. Also helps keep it "relatively" cheaper than allowing both to be run in that class.

Quote:
Will all the participants who were disqualified be dealt with ?? As in i heard there is some penalty which prevents one from racing for 1 drag or is it 1 year .. This issue has to be taken up sternly to prevent cheating ... What are the governing bodies stand on this ??
Don't go by the "i heard...." talk. There is no such rule like the one you speak off. If there was an official protest or decision, there is a procedure to be followed. Also, I believe the issues were with the bikes.

If you, or anyone, is the least bit serous about motorsports, I STRONGLY suggest you read through the FIA Sporting Code. You can find them here: http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/sportcoderegs.html

Quote:
does autocarindia have its own timing lights
ACI have their own tree, timing system along with real time electronic displays that show ET and terminal speed of both vehicles running. That should clear all doubts.

Quote:
And what are the measures taken to prevent crowd from running onto the track like its been happening year after year .. Last thing we need is to get the foreign cars / bikes category cancelled because of some nuts wanting to show their 30 seconds of brain short circuitry .. Any entrance fee for spectators ??
Everyone know this problem exists and steps have been taken to handle it. However, with the Indian public, almost nothing can be 100% foolproof and the event WILL be called off if it is deemed unsafe. Leave this to the organisers and you worry about your ride man!
Old 13th February 2006, 15:27   #7
BANNED

Quote:
I was expecting a long reply from Mclaren, and he didn't disappoint!
.. U can become a very good detective u know .. Just kidding RT ..

Quote:
As mentioned clearly in the quick reference chart - Indian Open and Unrestricted is a free-for-all. Thats where serious tuners would want to show their skills
Great .. I thought as well .. But even then thought of asking just as well to clear that slight doubt i had ..

Quote:
Don't go by the "i heard...." talk. There is no such rule like the one you speak off.
To be frank i did hear about this from one of the stewards (dont think i should mention his name ) at the recent track day at chennai .. So i asked .. Thanks for the link , so finally we are following rules set down by the FIA .. Will go thru them with immediate effect ..

Quote:
ACI have their own tree, timing system along with real time electronic displays that show ET and terminal speed of both vehicles running. That should clear all doubts.
Thats brilliant .. Finally time to end all specualtions .. Well done ACI ..

Quote:
However, with the Indian public, almost nothing can be 100% foolproof and the event WILL be called off if it is deemed unsafe. Leave this to the organisers and you worry about your ride man!
Completely agree to ur point , but as participants its quite scary to know that some nut might pass across the strip u know .. Not only that last time a few of my friends were waiting for the SBK class to finally start, they had been waiting for ages to legally race their bikes and wham it got cancelled .. From a spectators POV too it was very disappointing not to mention how my friends felt .. Not to mention the lathi charge that happened soon afterwards .. It was pathetic , so wanted to know what measures are being taken this time to ensure safety/interest of participants and the crowd ..

One last question .. What are the rules for pit entry .. As in :
1. One car gets to carry how many mechs into the pits ??
2. Is a reserve car issued for every participant car ??
3. Pls enforce some stern rules for entry into the pits .. Last time we had all kinds of stuff happening inside the pits too ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 13th February 2006 at 15:29.
Old 13th February 2006, 16:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

I car + 2 mechs passes. No service cars allowed.

ITS ALL IN THE REGS!! Read em' and then post the questions guys!
Old 13th February 2006, 16:49   #9
BHPian

well pls edit its not on 24 its on 25-26th feb(so bhpians wont get confused)
2) special rally/race insurance is compulsory its not optional, they charged my chetak rs150/- i thinks its standard rate for all 2 wheelers,

Last edited by wheelieboy : 13th February 2006 at 16:54.
Old 13th February 2006, 18:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

These are the regs for the cars. The Official event begins with the document checks, which is on the 24th, hence 24-26th dates mentioned.
Old 13th February 2006, 21:21   #11
BHPian

bro where is da speedrun exactly in kharghar
Old 13th February 2006, 22:05   #12
BHPian

so you mean timings would be given out as soon as the drags are over?
is that what you mean ...also if thats the case then timing slips would be given right
Old 13th February 2006, 22:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

The venue is in Khargar, left under the flyover near the Siemens building.
Old 14th February 2006, 00:27   #14
BHPian

with regard to point no 7 in the modifications allowed.
It says lightening allowed.
So is frp doors and hood allowed. If so will the cars running 1mm thick polythene sheets for doors be allowed still. Or would the doors and hood be required to look like their oe counterparts.
Old 14th February 2006, 00:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Removal of OE doors not allowed. I guess Shabz is going to be looking for FRP doors.

Most Viewed