Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 06:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )

Am Super Excited to start this thread as it would help many of us get an insight into the Marshall's life and duties for the much Awaited F1 Grand Prix at the Buddh International circuit in Noida.

Indians across the globe have been eyeing this event and various forums have confirmations of people coming from abroad and across India to view and officiate this grand event.

I think that I was super lucky to get an opportunity to officiate for this event as I stay in Delhi and all I had to sacrifice was some time and LOTS OF SLEEP.

Some details of the Officiating process/dates
  • Application process through the IMMC website
  • Receipt of confirmation emails/messages
  • Training dates – 9th and 10th September
  • Venue – Jaypee Public School , Greater Noida
  • Timings – 9:00 pm to 5:00 am
The most interesting thing was that the dates fell on Friday and Saturday and it was not possible for me to take a leave on Friday due to work commitments and for a moment I thought of giving up on the idea but then Hey!! How often do you get an opportunity to be a part of the history and that too for a motorsports enthusiast like me.

Now to fulfill both my Passion and work commitments here is the schedule which I had to follow thus keeping me awake for over 48 hours at a stretch ( I work in night shifts )
  • 7:00 pm Thursday to 7:00 am Friday (Office in Gurgaon) and then off to report at 9:00 am (75 kms )
  • Training from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and then off to home (reached by 7 pm ) got ready and rushed to work
  • 9:00 pm Friday to 7:00 am Saturday (Office in Gurgaon) and then off to report at 9:00 am (75 kms )
  • Training from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and then off to home..Whew!!
Anyways me and my colleague reached the venue well in advance and were excited to see what the POA was. After the initial registration and submission of the form we all assembled at a big hall in the school and we were introduced to all the Chief Marshals and also the crew from Bahrain who had flown down specially to train the marshals.

The training was divided into 2 parts.
  • General Marshall training
  • Specialized Marshall training ( Post Lunch )
One big question that comes to everyones mind is “What qualities should an Individual possess to be a Marshall” and the simple answer is
  • Common Sense
  • Presence of Mind
  • Ability to take quick decisions
There's more to than what meets the eye and i'll share the details soon as i've to now rush for the 2nd day of training and guess what ?? We're going to go to the actual track today for the practicals.

Although there are not many pictures to be shared but here are few that i would like to share for now
Attached Thumbnails
Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01302201109091235.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01289201109090834.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01290201109091051.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01293201109091055.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01295201109091154.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01297201109091206.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01298201109091207.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01299201109091212.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-img01305201109091354.jpg  

Last edited by harishnayak : 10th September 2011 at 06:20. Reason: Addition
harishnayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 06:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )

Super!

I didn't take any pics yesterday. I plan to get some today. I think we should get some pics department-wise. I am in fire & rescue. Will try and get some today.

BTW.. can I use these to post to my FB account?
Old 10th September 2011, 07:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Super!

I didn't take any pics yesterday. I plan to get some today. I think we should get some pics department-wise. I am in fire & rescue. Will try and get some today.

BTW.. can I use these to post to my FB account?
You sure can pic these pictures and post them. Good idea of taking dept wise pictures , i'll cover the Track and am hopeful that they would let us take cameras to the track today.
Old 10th September 2011, 10:58   #4
BHPian

Hi Harish, I cannot express in words alone how envious I am of you.

I am crazy and a devoted fan of F1 and the opportunity of being able to serve as a Marshall in the 1st Indian GP would for me have been akin to finding God, perhaps..!!

But duty calls, both domestic and professional and here I am in front of a computer.

Though reading your experience so far has convinced me to take time out and definitely serve as a F1 Marshall at least once. That begs the question, is there any age limit for the job!!

Looking forward to your continuous updates and experiences, please do keep us less - fortunate folks posted.

Last edited by PGNarain : 10th September 2011 at 11:00.
Old 10th September 2011, 14:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

@ PG Narain- I can understand how you feel. You're only going to feel more J and excited as I progress with the inputs along with contributions from other TBHP marshals here.

Had the first hand experience of stepping on the track and was as excited when man first stepped on the moon.

Currently I'm reporting here live from the venue and our training is about to get over.

Stay hooked for more details and first hand pictures of the track. Chao.
Old 11th September 2011, 07:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

hehehe seems like you had loads of fun. Catch on some shut eye and then pour in all details.
Old 11th September 2011, 09:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

First time for me on any F1 track. I was excited!!

A very hot day yesterday - came back all sun-burnt but after a brief walk around the tracks and pits it was worth it. Took some pics with my phone but have been told that you can't post them anywhere unless you want to get fired!!
Old 11th September 2011, 12:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

It was amazing time for all to behold the sight of the amazing track. India has arrived and this track will be a fun one for the spectators as much it will be for drivers. However, the training for track marshals was not 100% effective with few people asking repeated questions about same basic principles.

Sudev: few of us felt that it would have been more effective if the teams were smaller and we knew what posts we were to man. This will give good idea on what is required and practice scenarios from our posts. Getting to know more about the local area and develop team mates chemistry.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
@ PG Narain- I can understand how you feel. You're only going to feel more J and excited as I progress with the inputs along with contributions from other TBHP marshals here.

Had the first hand experience of stepping on the track and was as excited when man first stepped on the moon.

Currently I'm reporting here live from the venue and our training is about to get over.

Stay hooked for more details and first hand pictures of the track. Chao.
Again, all I can say is that I feel way too envious, I am more than sure that it must be a fantastic experience, and being part of the the very first Indian F1 Grand Prix you get to be a part of Automotive History, something to tell the grandkids.

Getting back to the topic, please please do keep us posted about your experiences+pics (if allowed).

I am keenly following your thread.

Have a great time..
Old 13th September 2011, 04:20   #10
BANNED

Harish,

Please take consent from the chief's before posting pictures of the track. Taking pictures is not allowed to prevent media criticism. this is a top notch facility and a world class event, lets make it a proud moment for India on the D-day. All the best, we'll catch up at the facility soon.
Old 13th September 2011, 06:27   #11
BHPian

Thanks for giving us an inside look into this training.

Guys, I always hear on the commentary that British marshals are the best in the world. We got to show them that we can be as good

All the best and be safe on race day!
Old 13th September 2011, 12:23   #12
BHPian

Excellent. Sleep deprived TBHP-ians updating lesser mortals like us who are relegated to desktop and office spaces. Please do update us as and when things happen.
I had all intentions of going but domestic situation will not allow me to travel in october end. How unfortunate. But its for a good thing - expecting our second child in that time. So I guess for once, family will supercede interests
Old 13th September 2011, 14:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Guys, I always hear on the commentary that British marshals are the best in the world. We got to show them that we can be as good
We definitely intend to do that, and that is why about 45 Experienced marshalls either Indians or of Indian Origin from UAE/Dubai/Abu Dhabi have volunteered to come and help at the Indian F1.

Guys don't get overawed by, but be deciplined and follow orders and we shall do a good job.

Hope to see you all at Budh International soon

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 13th September 2011, 18:57   #14
BHPian

My contribution to this thread!

Thoroughly enjoyed both the sessions. Met some old friends!

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

OT:Spotted the unfortunate Logan when returning back home! :(
Attached Thumbnails
Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0017.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0020.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0033.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0034.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0035.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0036.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0037.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0038.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0039.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0040.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0041.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0042.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0043.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0044.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0045.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0046.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0047.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0048.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0050.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0051.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0052.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0054.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0055.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0056.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0057.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0058.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0059.jpg  

Marshall’s life – Indian F1 Grand Prix’11 ( Buddh Int'l circuit )-dscf0067.jpg  

StreetAddict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 12:14   #15
BHPian

Fantastic pictures Streetaddict, just wish i could have been there to see everything first hand.

The track looks well underway. Observing that the Race is about 45 days away, hope everything is complete by then and things do not go the CW Games way.

What is with the Logan?? Hope that accident has nothing to do with the GP and the preparations.

Guys do keep us updated, thanks again.

Most Viewed