Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 17:09   #46
AVR
BHPian

Re: Desert Storm 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Any information on where in Ahmedabad is the rally going to finish? I'd like to go see the event.
Cambay Grand. Few bhpians from A'bad are already part of the bhuj marshal team so will know about timing later today.
Old 24th February 2012, 17:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Cambay Grand. Few bhpians from A'bad are already part of the bhuj marshal team so will know about timing later today.
Thanks a ton... I've seen the place. Will be there.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:30   #48
BHPian

Someone please write a detailed account of the event.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:42   #49
AVR
BHPian

Not the right guy to write about the event but I can provide you some eye candy!
A Toyota pickup based on the same platform as the Fortuner!

Desert Storm 2012-_24_30dsc02819.jpg

Desert Storm 2012-_24_30dsc02820.jpg

Desert Storm 2012-_24_30dsc02825.jpg

A LHD Prado on Carnet!
Desert Storm 2012-_24_30dsc02821.jpg

A XUV in Rally colors. Looks rather menacing!
Desert Storm 2012-_24_30dsc02823.jpg

Desert Storm 2012-_24_30dsc02824.jpg

Desert Storm 2012-_24_30dsc02822.jpg

P.S. Numbers not blanked out as it was a public event!
AVR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 14:06   #50
BHPian

Desert Storm 2012 - RESULTS

Here are the Results of the 2012 Desert Storm:

Category: Xtreme
No. of Teams: 48
1st Position: Suresh Rana & Ashwin Naik (Maruti Suzuki Gypsy)
2nd Position: Gaurav Chiripal & Nikhil Pai (Suzuki Grand Vitara)
3rd Position: Lohit Urs & PVS Murthy (Mahindra SUV 500)

Category: Xplore
No. of Teams: 26
1st Position: M. D. Ganesh Moorthy & T Nagarajan
2nd Position: Rajesh Chalana & Pradeep Kumar
3rd Position: Sanjay Ram Takale & Mustafha

Category: Ndure
No. of Teams: 42
1st Position: Satish Gopalkrishnan & Savera Souza
2nd Position: Jagmeet Gill & Chandrashekhar M
3rd Position: Amol Anil Satosker & Rahul Sancheti

Category: MotoQuad
No. of Teams: 16
1st Position: Raj Singh Rathore
2nd Position: R. Natraj
3rd Position: Pramod Joshua

Category: NDure Plus
No. of Teams: 4
1st Position: Amit Tyagi

Other Info:
  • Defending champion Sunny Sidhu was forced to pull out in the first leg itself with a seized engine.
  • 32 cars out of the 50 competing in the Xtreme category did not finish.
  • 20 cars out of the 48 competing in the Ndure category did not finish.
  • 6 out of the 16 bikes did not finish.
jalsa777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 15:18   #51
BHPian

Thanks for this wonderful thread and the updates. Is it possible to give some details on what were the motorcycles that competed in this event? Any indian makes? Possible to put up some pictures of them?

Thanks!
Old 28th February 2012, 15:51   #52
BHPian

Media reports say, that the XUV500 encountered some initial reliability issues. Can someone please shed some light on what were those issues and why exactly did the other XUV team withdraw from the event?

PS : Intend to make a purchase decision.
Old 29th February 2012, 19:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see a kitted Hilux!

Did the army folks do well? Saw a press release about army participation in Desert Storm.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Media reports say, that the XUV500 encountered some initial reliability issues. Can someone please shed some light on what were those issues and why exactly did the other XUV team withdraw from the event?

PS : Intend to make a purchase decision.
Hey, it would be unfair to compare the performance of the XUV in the storm to an XUV on the road. Or for that matter any car.
The kinda of terrain encountered there and the style of driving will never be faced by a car intended for the road. Race cars are also heavy modified for the purpose and so a lot of things can go wrong.

A better thread to know about problems would be this
Old 1st March 2012, 20:24   #55

I am quite jealous of the pics of cars smarting about at Cambay Grand in Ahemdabad. My rally ended on Leg 3 just because I steered too hard on the right side and my car turned over on its left. Since then I have been wondering why did it fell over to the left and not on the right side since I took a right turn ? Any ideas folks ?

* Thanks to the helmets and seat belts me & my navigator escaped without a scratch
Attached Thumbnails
Desert Storm 2012-crash.jpg  

Last edited by karan.ag : 1st March 2012 at 20:39.
karan.ag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan.ag View Post
I am quite jealous of the pics of cars smarting about at Cambay Grand in Ahemdabad. My rally ended on Leg 3 just because I steered too hard on the right side and my car turned over on its left. Since then I have been wondering why did it fell over to the left and not on the right side since I took a right turn ? Any ideas folks ?

* Thanks to the helmets and seat belts me & my navigator escaped without a scratch
The centrifugal force that acts on turning bodies acts radially outwards. To a certain extent it is balanced by the grip of tyres, which allows vehicles to hold the line while cornering. If you turn too hard on a loose surface, the tyre would lose grip and the centrifugal force would tend to throw the vehicle radially outwards. If any irregularity (even very small ones) that can act as a pivot point is encountered while sliding out, the vehicle tips over. Thats how, you flipped to the left when you turned right !!

By the way, welcome to the club of ignominy. See what happened to us in Desert Storm 2011 on Day 3 Rann of Kutchh White Rann (courtesy - burst front left tyre).

But we managed to upturn my car and finish the rally (somewhere in the middle ranks). Couldnt believe there were people behind us even after a restart penalty! hehehehe
Attached Thumbnails
Desert Storm 2012-turning-turtle.png  

Old 1st March 2012, 21:13   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
The centrifugal force that acts on turning bodies acts radially outwards. To a certain extent it is balanced by the grip of tyres, which allows vehicles to hold the line while cornering. If you turn too hard on a loose surface, the tyre would lose grip and the centrifugal force would tend to throw the vehicle radially outwards. If any irregularity (even very small ones) that can act as a pivot point is encountered while sliding out, the vehicle tips over. Thats how, you flipped to the left when you turned right !!

By the way, welcome to the club of ignominy. See what happened to us in Desert Storm 2011 on Day 3 Rann of Kutchh White Rann (courtesy - burst front left tyre).

But we managed to upturn my car and finish the rally (somewhere in the middle ranks). Couldnt believe there were people behind us even after a restart penalty! hehehehe
Thanks for the info !! Although could not understand the physics behind it completely I think I get the gist of it. You were allowed a restart ??

When we reported to the first available official about our incident he demanded our time card which we promptly handed over (we were too shook up to argue). Never did it cross our minds that we can take a restart which we could have done as the crew and the car were both in great condition.

I wont classify this my ignominy, it was more like a learning experience. Someone once asked Thomas Edison how it felt to fail 2000 times to which he replied that he did not fail even once, it just happened to be a 2000 step process. I did not fail to take a right turn, I learned a way to make a car overturn.
karan.ag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 23:40   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan.ag View Post
Thanks for the info !! Although could not understand the physics behind it completely I think I get the gist of it. You were allowed a restart ??

When we reported to the first available official about our incident he demanded our time card which we promptly handed over (we were too shook up to argue). Never did it cross our minds that we can take a restart which we could have done as the crew and the car were both in great condition.

I wont classify this my ignominy, it was more like a learning experience. Someone once asked Thomas Edison how it felt to fail 2000 times to which he replied that he did not fail even once, it just happened to be a 2000 step process. I did not fail to take a right turn, I learned a way to make a car overturn.
Handing over of the time card in such situations is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). We too did the same. Thereafter having upturned our car and spent the night at a workshop replacing the windscreen and pushing the roof back in place, we landed back at the camp the next morning and expressed our intention to continue.

On of the core organizers commented "Every true rallyist overturns his car atleast once. You are now baptised."

Having paid the restart fee and incurring a 14hr penalty, we were allowed to continue!
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:10   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Hey, it would be unfair to compare the performance of the XUV in the storm to an XUV on the road. Or for that matter any car.
The kinda of terrain encountered there and the style of driving will never be faced by a car intended for the road. Race cars are also heavy modified for the purpose and so a lot of things can go wrong.

A better thread to know about problems would be this
Well said! But isnt that true for all vehicles participating in the event? Modifications or not, I think the capability of the platform and drivetrain are ably demonstrated.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:34   #60
BHPian

Hello folks,

Could we have a detailed review of the rally vehicle-wise? How did the XUV perform? And as already requested previously, some details on the motorcycles please! Where are the bikers?

Cheers
Rahul

Most Viewed