Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added

An autocross event is being held at the Autocar Performance Show in Mumbai on the 19th & 20th November. (Saturday, Sunday)

This is a super opportunity for enthusiasts to have some fun in a safe and cheap environment.

Source Link: Maruti Suzuki - Motor Sports

PS.: Its open for all make cars (Not just maruti).
Also, the track will be open for the public for pay-n-drive on the 17th and 18th.

What is Autocross?
Autocross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
jalsa777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 16:13   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added

List of Team-BHP members participating:
  1. Jalsa777
  2. bhp
  3. Rehaan (Thurs only)

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th November 2011 at 10:13. Reason: adding to list
Old 13th November 2011, 18:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added

I read about this just 2 days back. I'd like to give it a try too (though probably on the 17th) - hope that my Fiesta is back from the garage by then (fuel pump being changed!).

Some more pics from what looks like a delhi event :

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-ac_img1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-ac_img4.jpg

Name:  ac_img5.jpg
Views: 5563
Size:  60.5 KB

source

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th November 2011 at 10:54.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 22:14   #4
bhp
BHPian

Even i am gonna give it a try in a Swift diesel...pay and drive is something i am looking forward for.
Old 13th November 2011, 22:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its awesome , i'm sure you're referring to the one being organised by northern motorsports. They are organising it for the first time in Mumbai.

I participated in the Delhi autocross in 2010 and here are few pictures from my behalf

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th November 2011 at 14:36. Reason: Pics on FB not visible. In anycase, please upload pics on TBHP server as per the rules. Thanks!
Old 16th November 2011, 10:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Guys who just want to give it a quick spin :

Quote:
Thurday 17th Nov : 1500 - 1730 hours
1-2 laps by walk-in participants in their own cars, on a first-come-first-served basis.
Fee: Rs. 200/-
Also, given that its at the MMRDA ground, there's a high probability that this will be a dirt course :

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross_img1.jpg

cya
R
Old 17th November 2011, 06:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Northern Motorsport is behind the AutoCross 2011 in Mumbai. The location is Expo grounds, Bandra Kurla Complex. Entry for AutoCross track is on the right had side of the expo.

The track was laid out yesterday and despite space constrains is 400 meter in length. This could be run as single lap or two lap competition. For qualifying runs fee is Rs500 per entry. A driver may enter for multiple cars or multiple drivers may drive a single car or multiple drives in same car or combination there of - each is considered a separate entry.

After qualifier rounds, per category, cut would be applied based on timings - say for top four, eight or sixteen based on numbers in each category - for determining the competition round drivers who will then get to drive on Sunday 20th, head on for the trophy's

The track is grit / dirt surface with technical layout marked by cones. Timing is done with same, light beam based, auto timing equipment used in Delhi Autocross. While speed is of essence you will discover that a smooth drive with controlled power will give best timings than one with lots of power and slides!!

The track would be open for pay and practice on Friday 18th. Qualifiers would be on Saturday 19th. Hope that this event becomes a regular feature in motor sport calendar with longer track and different surfaces.

Entries can be done at Expo venue at the Maruti Suzuki stall. See you there.
Old 17th November 2011, 08:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

That's nice. Whoever is participating, request you guys to get us some videos too. I would like to see how is this done. Have fun guys!
Old 17th November 2011, 09:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Any one going from Delhi / NCR ?? Phil, anyone ?
Old 21st November 2011, 13:35   #10
BHPian

someone please upload pics and other details.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:09   #11
BHPian

It was a super event. I had entered with my Ritz Petrol in the Pro Stock category. The 1100cc and 1450cc categories were combined for pro stock due to lack of entries.

There were a total of 4 entries in this category and all of them were circuit racers from the VW Polo R Cup and were driving on dirt for the first time.

Reporting was at 12pm on Saturday, 19th November. As soon as the documentation was over we were guided around the track by the organizers. The layout had changed since the open sessions of Thursday and Friday. Gone was the reversing section and 360, and added was a figure of 8.
The qualifying session began immediately after, we got 2 attempts and the best of 2 would be counted. I put in 82.288 sec and 82.6 sec in my 2 attempts to lead my class. Here's the onboard video:

This was the end of Day 1.
There were 2 sessions scheduled for Sunday. Semi-Finals and Finals.
We were greeted to a new layout for the Semi's. Added was another firgure of 8 and gone was the parallel parking. After a quick walk it was time to drive.
My first run was very good but i had displaced 2 cones thus getting a 10 second penalty. On the second run, I was a bit cautious and it payed off. I was fastest again.

Only 2 competitors from each category made it to the finals. The track layout was changed again and now the track was much much faster and we had to do 2 laps around the layout. The faster track came with its own challenges, it was much narrower and accuracy was very important. I took it cautiously and was fastest again in my category.

Aditya Pawar (adi_iceman11) was the runner up in the Pro Stock 1450 category.

All in all it was a fun event and got a lot to learn here. I urge fellow enthusiasts to participate in such events and encourage the organizers to do more such events.

Here are some pictures:
My Ritz on track:
Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-7.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-6.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-8.jpg

Runner-up in Pro Stock 1450 category, Aditya Pawar (adi_iceman11)
Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-1.jpg

Podium Ceremony:
Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-9.jpg

Track preparation:
Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-5.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-4.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-3.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-autocross-2011-mumbai-2.jpg

Photo credits: Rohit Supal, Kejas Shah (photocanic) and Munjal Savla (jalsa777)
jalsa777 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 14:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report a

Lovely competition.
All the results:

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-333216_10150560391433266_724633265_11923139_51771378_o.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report added-289872_10150560392588266_724633265_11923142_1772509951_o.jpg
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 15:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Autocross at Autocar Performance Show. EDIT: Video, Pics & Report a

In car video - testing the track:
sudev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 21:27   #14

The car in which i ended up as runner-up was borrowed from a friend who was also trying his luck...so id like to thank him first !

As for the Autocross...it was amazing, driving on dirt is so much fun, rather than thinking about the competition i just enjoyed sliding the car around the track !
I hope there are more autocross events coming to Mumbai...Its safe, Fast and tests your skill for a very low amount of money compared to other Motorsport events !

I hope there is more participation the next time its in Mumbai !

@jalsa777
Amazing videos !
adi_iceman11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 09:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
In car video - testing the track:

This was obviously the ladies first ever "slipping & sliding" ride !! Wonder what her reaction would be if she ever went onto a serious rally.

Thanks for sharing the Video

Cheers

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th November 2011 at 13:42. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!

Most Viewed