Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 13:29   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February

Great. We had a debate going on within the car on the same point. Now it should be easier to make course corrections: Just go back to the last instruction and wait till your following member appears, and then just follow him! Since the cars are paced one minute apart, you may lose some time, but that's not a significant loss as each late minute costs you just one penalty point, and once on the right course you could always speed up and gain time!
Old 7th February 2012, 14:22   #62
BHPian

Re: Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February

Hey, congrats to all of you made it for the event. A quick read through your posts itself sounds exiting. wiating for the pics though.
I have already made up my mind of being there for the next event here in Mumbai.
Cheers.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I'm in.

Sorry, can't come for the Dummy run on thr 4th coz ll be in delhi. Coming back on 4th evening but ill be thr on the 5th for the rally. Will fill the form and send the cheque asap. Will also speak to other BHP-ians and non members also, whom I am in touch with and try to get them to participate.
Sorry mates. Could not attend. I had to re schedule my flight from Delhi as another function cropped up and as i was already present there, i was made to extend my stay. Next time ill be there. Hope you guys had a good time. Put up some pics please.
Old 7th February 2012, 22:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Link to 59 minutes of the whole rally through my car DVR Camera, have caught the juicy parts, have chopped off many more, gives a taste of the event. Hopefully it would motivate many more to participate next year.

Sorry, Mumbaikers to be crashing in on your thread, it seemed pointless to start another thread for Ahmedabad Blind Rally, there were only two of us TBHpers in the event.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 7th February 2012 at 22:26.
ramkya1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 15:02   #65
Senior - BHPian

The Ahmedabad rally seems to have been organized on a much grander scale, with 15-minute breaks! Ours was to have concluded in an hour. Plus that long stretch of kachcha road! I would have been fielding questions from my co-nav if we indeed were on the correct track. How did you ensure that, btw? As I see the road, there seems to be little by way of any identifying landmarks.

You seem to have already prepared a speedchart, how did you do it? In our edition the average speeds were mentioned in the tulips themselves.

And don't worry about hogging 'our' thread, this rally's route looks way more interesting. So it's good you posted the video! It also shows how important it is to get a good navigator (and a co-navigator).

I am amazed man! They even included the peacock's flight in the tulip!! What accuracy!

Last edited by honeybee : 8th February 2012 at 15:20.
Old 8th February 2012, 17:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The Ahmedabad rally seems to have been organized on a much grander scale, with 15-minute breaks! Ours was to have concluded in an hour. Plus that long stretch of kachcha road! I would have been fielding questions from my co-nav if we indeed were on the correct track. How did you ensure that, btw? As I see the road, there seems to be little by way of any identifying landmarks.

You seem to have already prepared a speedchart, how did you do it? In our edition the average speeds were mentioned in the tulips themselves.

And don't worry about hogging 'our' thread, this rally's route looks way more interesting. So it's good you posted the video! It also shows how important it is to get a good navigator (and a co-navigator).

I am amazed man! They even included the peacock's flight in the tulip!! What accuracy!
We also felt the event was very well knit together, the track was exciting too, the peacock was a bonus

I was lucky to get Blind navigator Bharatbhai, he was quick in his read outs the co-nav wrote it out on a paper and had a written duplicate on the fly, was useful to re-calibrate Odo errors. We were doubly lucky with Capt. Sachin Kalyani, the co-nav (he's a ship's captain), has keen sense of direction and landmarks. He did a lots of odo error corrections which was challenging, time consuming and complicated, so did not have time to do re-calibrating asking speeds rates, we lost time in some sectors.

Bad roads were marked well, the Tulip had landmarks like white fence, y forks, transformers, electric lines etc., spelled out clearly.

The guy who got 1st prize had just finished the Surat Rally; reportedly, he was very serious and was rigged with a rally computer!!!

--Ramky
======
Old 8th February 2012, 17:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

The guy who got 1st prize had just finished the Surat Rally; reportedly, he was very serious and was rigged with a rally computer!!!

--Ramky
======
Just curious. What is a rally computer and how does it help in such a rally where the route is read out on the fly?
Old 8th February 2012, 18:00   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Just curious. What is a rally computer and how does it help in such a rally where the route is read out on the fly?
As I understand it, it has set formulas to calculate time, distance and speeds. It helps co-navigator to quickly calculate if the car is late/ early in each time segment, if the driver has to slowdown or speed up till the next segment etc., It can be done manually too with simple formulas.

I am sure experts on TDS rallys here would be able to clarify.

I checked the net for an Android equivelant, downloaded it, but was going haywire on our phones!!

RySaRuningCalculator | AppBrain Android Market

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 8th February 2012 at 18:01.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway_star View Post
This was my first time at BMR. Missed three TCs so not ranked.

I was at number 6.
There were some photographers and a video camera at the starting point. Waiting to catch this in the papers/TV.
Dude, your wishes have been granted! Vishal Mirpuri has emailed the links of the online coverage of the rally, while most coverage is a photo or two, there are a few news articles, sans photos. However, here are two links you will find interesting:

A blind navigator in the sixth Blind Man's Car Rally.
A car rally with blind navigators

honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:47   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Dude, your wishes have been granted! Vishal Mirpuri has emailed the links of the online coverage of the rally, while most coverage is a photo or two, there are a few news articles, sans photos. However, here are two links you will find interesting:

A blind navigator in the sixth Blind Man's Car Rally.
A car rally with blind navigators

Thanks honeybee! Good observation. I am happy to see my car there even though my face is not visible. Of course the photographer was clicking the navigators who are the real stars of this rally.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:20   #71
Senior - BHPian

They did click the drivers too, but with just about one photo published they have to make a choice.
Old 9th February 2012, 14:25   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
As I understand it, it has set formulas to calculate time, distance and speeds. It helps co-navigator to quickly calculate if the car is late/ early in each time segment, if the driver has to slowdown or speed up till the next segment etc., It can be done manually too with simple formulas.
Yes, that's basically it.

We started with a Casio 'HMS' calculator after attending Sudev's TSD camp (they happen regularly in different cities, usually announced here - facebook.com/groups/tsdrally). HMS was cheap, simple to use, but since one couldn't save formulas or program it in any way, was very exhausting for the navigator - too much use of pen and paper, needed a lot of concentration etc.

We also tried BASIC programmable calculators - where navigator could enter many speed sections into a program and then input any odo value and get the target ideal time. But these calculators were old, SLOW and had unreliable hardware.

Also tried iPhone, but while the app was fast, touch screen was a big pain to work with in a moving car.

Now we use TSDMeter | Facebook.

Last edited by oldmonk : 9th February 2012 at 14:28.
oldmonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 14:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post

(they happen regularly in different cities, usually announced here - facebook.com/groups/tsdrally).

Now we use TSDMeter | Facebook.
Thanks oldmonk. Interesting handle there

Couple of interesting points in your post. TSD Rallies being held regularly and TSD Meter. But i would have to check both from home because of FB restrictions.

Don't want to put additional queries in this thread lest it becomes way offtopic.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks oldmonk. Interesting handle there

Couple of interesting points in your post. TSD Rallies being held regularly and TSD Meter. But i would have to check both from home because of FB restrictions.

Don't want to put additional queries in this thread lest it becomes way offtopic.
It's so nice to see people coming together for a good cause. Hope some of you will dive into the world of TSDs It's the cheapest way to get the thrill of motorsports - you can do it in your own, un-modded car.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No disrespect meant to the serious rally participants, however isn't it against the spirit of the rallies such as BMR to be using such sophisticated equipment?

Most Viewed