Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 15:55   #1
BHPian

BAJA SAE India 2012 Results

About BAJA SAE India

Modelled on a globally popular student competition, BAJA SAEINDIA challenges students from leading engineering institutions across the country to design and build an off-road vehicle which will survive the roughest terrains. The competition is unique as it aims to replicate the entire process involved in creating a commercially viable vehicle which encompasses all aspects from conception to delivery.
Originally started in the USA by the SAE International as MINI BAJA, today it is being organized in several countries. In India, it is being organized as BAJA SAEINDIA, a student level competition in which teams from universities all over the nation plan, design, analyze, fabricate and validate an ATV which is evaluated during a series of Static, Dynamic and Durability events like design, cost evaluation, presentation, Max speed, acceleration, manoeuvrability, hill climb and endurance.

The three day event started with basic Static Evaluation round which comprised of Design Evaluation, Cost Evaluation and Marketing Presentation. In the final round, the teams showcased their prototype of a rugged single seat, off-road recreational four-wheel vehicle and were evaluated on various parameters, including engineering design, cost and technology innovation. The objective of the competition was to simulate real world engineering design projects and their related challenges. Each team’s goal was to create a safe, easily transported, easily maintained and fun to drive prototype without any direct involvement from professional fabricators. However, the teams were free to design their own transmissions with the only restriction being the speed limit to 60kmph. The Dynamic Evaluation Round tested the vehicles for acceleration, speed, hill climb and manoeuvrability and the Durability Evaluation Round saw the vehicles undergo endurance tests. The Endurance Event assessed each vehicle’s ability to operate continuously and at a speed over rough terrain containing obstacles in any weather conditions.

BAJA SAE India 2012 Overall Winners:

1st Place:
Team: The Concords
College: SRM University
City: Chennai, TN

2nd Place:
Team: Pegasus
College: PES Modern College of Engineering
City: Pune, MH

3rd Place:
Team: Anveshan
College: Basaveshwara Engineering College
City: Bagalkot, KA

Here are complete awards details: BAJA SAE India 2012_awards.pdf

Last edited by jalsa777 : 28th February 2012 at 15:56.
jalsa777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 17:32   #2
BHPian

BAJA/SUPRA SAE India

Hey BHPians! I thought I'd start this topic since i couldn't find any existing ones about the indian SAE scene apart from college or team specific posts. So here it is!
The thought struck me because i'm almost in the SAE team of my college, I won't mention the name until it's confirmed that I'm in though.
Right now I'm trying to get in as a driver, but i want to put in an equal input in the building of the car/buggy too. Since this is the first time I'm doing this, I'd love to get advice and suggestions from all of you, particularly those who've been a part of SAE events in the past.
Old 6th March 2013, 12:15   #3
BHPian

Re: BAJA/SUPRA SAE India

Hi Arjun, I happened to notice your post in the introduction thread as well. So welcome to Team BHP
I gather that you have joined the COEP BAJA team? Thats really good. Must be nice to join a team that just won BAJA!

I had my fair share of adventures with Vehicle development in college. We won Virtual BAJA 2009, and did BAJA 2010 with some success. We then went international and did FSAE Michigan 2011! What had started off as a random interest in playing around with small IC engine powered RC cars grew to define my entire college life. It was an amazing experience. Now, I'm in Pune working for one of India's Auto giants.

My knowledge/experience is already two years old, but if you need any help, I'll do the best I can.
All the best, and make the best of BAJA/SUPRA
Old 7th March 2013, 15:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun18 View Post
SUPRA SAE India
What exactly is Supra SAE?

Thanks,
R
Old 7th March 2013, 18:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What exactly is Supra SAE?

Thanks,
R
Supra is the formula format..flat circuit racing. Just like BAJA, students make the SUPRA cars too.
arjun18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 19:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: BAJA SAE India 2012 Results

So what was earlier called "FSAE" is now called Supra?

Is this an international change, or just in India?

cya
R

PS - You'll find some more threads if you search for "FSAE" in titles.
Old 7th March 2013, 21:06   #7
BHPian

Its still called FSAE abroad, Supra is an indian name although its the same SAE event..sometimes people call it the fsae supra.
I guess it just signifies that its the indian event.
arjun18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 15:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
So what was earlier called "FSAE" is now called Supra?

Is this an international change, or just in India?
R,
Both FSAE and SUPRA require students to design, build, test and race an open wheel formula style race car. But, there is quite some difference between FSAE and SUPRA.
SUPRA SAE started off with an aim to become an Indian Formula SAE, but the "Formula" they devised was quite different from the international FSAE. In actual FSAE teams are given a lot more leeway with respect to design, especially the in the engine and powertrain section of the car. In SUPRA, the organisers provided the same Maruti 800 engine to all teams, thus removing an entire aspect of design (that related to the intake, exhaust, differential and the power transmission systems).
I think SUPRA is slowly coming to match FSAE in terms of quality of cars made, and the maturity in terms of rules, but there is still a long way to go.

Nevertheless, it provides a very good experience, at a pretty low cost. FSAE requires almost 4 to 5 times the budget of SUPRA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks