Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 15:12   #1
BHPian

Which car would you choose for the Indian Diesel Touring Cars (IDTC) ?

The FMSCI has introduced a new category in the Indian National Racing Championship called the Indian Diesel Touring Car (IDTC).

The purpose of this thread is to invite your suggestions regarding which car would be best suited for this category.

Requirements:
  • Large scale series production Diesel touring car.
  • Upto 2000 cc with a maximum restrictor size of 34 mm.

Modifications Allowed:
  • Interiors can be stripped.
  • Air Intake can be modified.
  • Shock Absorbers and Springs can be changed.
  • Ride height can be changed.
  • The reinforcing of the structural parts of the suspension (with the exception of anti-roll bars) is allowed.
  • AC and heater can be removed.

Modifications NOT allowed:
  • Engine or turbo-charger cannot be modified at all.
  • Body panels cannot be replaced with lighter materials.
  • Brakes cannot be changed.
  • Running gear like clutch, gearbox, differential, half-shafts have to be OE stuff.
  • I think the ECU cannot be changed or modified. Nothing has been specified about it.

FMSCI IDTC Technical Regulations: 2012.4WTR.RACING.IDTC.FINAL.pdf

Note: I am not planning to start a team or something. Just want a nice discussion about which Indian car is best suited for this purpose.
jalsa777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 15:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car would you choose for the Indian Diesel Touring Cars (IDTC) ?

I will start the ball rolling with the Chevy Optra Magnum. It has a really neat engine and when the car is lightened and suspension stiffened, it will be a really impressive car on the track.
Old 9th March 2012, 16:21   #3
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2012 at 10:58.
supercars is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th March 2012, 20:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Polo R is winning
This is a very good balance and test for all car manufacturers. Way to go

How do I apply for driver's seat?
Old 9th March 2012, 20:27   #5
BHPian

Chevy cruze for me, if the rules allow it
Attached Thumbnails
Which car would you choose for the Indian Diesel Touring Cars (IDTC) ?-2011_chevrolet_cruze_btcc_01.jpg  

Last edited by pranava999 : 9th March 2012 at 20:31.
pranava999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 11:08   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Since basic mods are allowed, in order of priority, I'd pick the following cars.

1. BMW 320d . Fast, rear wheel drive, dynamically rich and awesome brakes in stock form. With an air-intake alone, she'll make 190ish BHP. And brakes will still be working at the point when everyone else's have faded away.

2. Mercedes C250 : Same reasons as No.1.

3. Skoda Laura / VW Jetta : While the Cruze has a wonderful engine, the Laura & Jetta are superior handlers. This, combined with some basic mods, should make them seriously fast (read = faster than the Cruze). Plus, VW has a strong motorsports department.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 11:19   #7
BHPian

It has to be the German big three in this if price is no bar. I don't think the Japs can be represented, albeit Toyota, but I will be surprised if any one enters with a corolla or a liva. The Americans also do have a slight chance with the cruze and the fiesta. Verna I don't know so no comments.
Sorry forgot to ask if the upper ceiling is 2000 cc, is there a lower ceiling as well, because in that case there are some promising hatches which could compete.
Old 10th March 2012, 12:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since basic mods are allowed, in order of priority, I'd pick the following cars.

1. BMW 320d . Fast, rear wheel drive, dynamically rich and awesome brakes in stock form. With an air-intake alone, she'll make 190ish BHP. And brakes will still be working at the point when everyone else's have faded away.

3. Skoda Laura / VW Jetta : While the Cruze has a wonderful engine, the Laura & Jetta are superior handlers. This, combined with some basic mods, should make them seriously fast (read = faster than the Cruze). Plus, VW has a strong motorsports department.
No offence but doesn't the Merc have a bigger engine than permitted under the max 2.0 L capacity for this championship.

Otherwise I do agree with your logic that we do need a good handler. For me the requirement is a 1.8 to 2.0 L engine that is either turbo or super charged with a good handling chassis, and most importantly a good driver. What do I need to do to get a seat in the race here
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 15:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

All these 3 are fine cars and would do really well on the circuit. But the Indian Motorsport fraternity is very very cost conscious because of lack of sponsorship. Point of fact is the Indian Touring Car championship, in which Esteems make up an overwhelming majority. At last count, all but 3 cars were esteems. With 2 Honda Citys and 1 Zen. The main thing going for the esteems is cost, they are cheap to build and maintain. The other thing is easy availability of spares and also the invested cost into these cars is huge.

With no manufacturer support to these series', there is nothing much that can be done about this.

Thus, I expect cars which are cheap to maintain to form a major part of the series. I feel the Swift D will be well represented. The problem with the Magnum would be spares IMO. BMWs and Merc are almost out of question.
Old 13th March 2012, 23:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
All these 3 are fine cars and would do really well on the circuit. But the Indian Motorsport fraternity is very very cost conscious because of lack of sponsorship. Point of fact is the Indian Touring Car championship, in which Esteems make up an overwhelming majority. At last count, all but 3 cars were esteems. With 2 Honda Citys and 1 Zen. The main thing going for the esteems is cost, they are cheap to build and maintain. The other thing is easy availability of spares and also the invested cost into these cars is huge.
I think it is a chicken and egg situation. In the current series with only 3 circuits (MMSC, Kari and now Buddh), a lot of sponsors are not really interested. VW has led the motorsports scene with the Polo Cup, but I am sure a lot of other manufacturers will follow once the sponsors and the media coverage for these events improve.

For the sport to open up we need more circuits all across India. Considering the amount of money that is being invested in Infrastructure Development I assume that it should not be very difficult to construct a FIA grade 2 track in most of the major cities.

My two cents
Old 14th March 2012, 12:54   #11
BHPian

Find below propositions in that order, considering the key factors (Diesel Only, Racing suitability, cheap to maintain/modify)

Swift DDiS (old generation)
Getz CRDi
Punto MJD 90HP (base version)
Ford Figo TDCi (base version)
Verna CRDi (old generation)

Last edited by Autocop : 14th March 2012 at 12:56. Reason: change of order
Old 14th March 2012, 22:17   #12
BHPian

My list would be
1) Skoda Rapid - Has a good strong engine and gearbox with a nice suspension geometry

2) Swift - Known to be a good handler with an excellent stiff chasis for racing. Being light and nippy adds to its racing character

3) Ford Figo - Known to be a good handler with its long wheelbase and driving manners, it has a weak engine which might not go well with the competion

4) Cruze with its excellent racing credentials (WTCC) would do well with a suspension mod, No mods on the engine and gearbox would work in the Cruze's favor, the downsides to it would be the high running cost. ABS (Did not see a mention in the PDF to tweak the ABS ECU towards a Racing ABS set-up)
Old 18th March 2012, 14:25   #13
BHPian

I think the Vento/Rapid with better suspension would be a great option.
Old 18th March 2012, 20:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Chevy cruze and BMW320d will make a great pair, pitch in a couple in form of Merc and Audi and we will have a gala time watching all vrrrroom
Old 20th April 2012, 14:09   #15
BHPian

Vento should be the car with better little more stiffened suspension. Even in stock form it can do wonders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks