Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 10:10   #1
BHPian

Raid De Himalaya 2012

Hi,

I don't know if there is a thread for RDH 2012 already.

Anyway early registrations for this years edition has started @
OFFICIAL HIMALAYAN MOTORSPORT WEBSITE

Details can be found at the PDF below:
http://www.raid-de-himalaya.com/2009...TRENTRYFEE.PDF

Early Entry fo Extreme T1, T2, T3 is 40K,
Early Entry for Adventure is 48K
Early Entry for Adventure (Pro Stock or Expert Driver) 52K

Hope to see quite a few of you up there this year. Please try and register early to save some cash

Also please post if any of you guys are going, it would be nice to discuss it here.

Have a nice weekend.
Good luck
nanu28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Raid De Himalaya 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
Hope to see quite a few of you up there this year. Please try and register early to save some cash

Also please post if any of you guys are going, it would be nice to discuss it here.
Want to go, but can't apply yet. Too many variables right now..

Why don't you ask the questions you asked in the other forum here? Lots of ex/current Raiders on TBHP too!
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
Want to go, but can't apply yet. Too many variables right now..

Why don't you ask the questions you asked in the other forum here? Lots of ex/current Raiders on TBHP too!
It would have been nice to meet you there and learn a lot from you, do try to make it

As far as my questions here, I hope someone responds to 'em here.
I am sorry if they are very specific to me, but I hope they help some other novice as well.

I would like to take part in this years’ Raid De Himalaya, the 14th Edition, in the SUV Stock Adventure category, in a Stock 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara.

I would like to know what all mods are required and recommended for such an Adventure, form the last years’ form it all seems quite basic for the Adventure, like First Aid Kit, Normal Seatbelts etc. But I would like help in preparing the car:

1. I am allowed to use after market Air Filters and Air Intake for Stock 4W category, so which one do you guys recommend, I have some idea that the finer dust up there will choke most air filters in no time hence, taking spare should be recommended, which ones do you guys suggest. I understand a CAI would be of no use as it might be lower at the bottom of the car and hence has issue with water splashes, so is there some Universal cone suited for the Grand Vitara, the stock replacement one really doesn’t seem right, it has a small intake in front and then loops back down and around, just doesn’t seem that good at all.

2. Can you guys recommend me any workshop in or around Delhi who can fit Skid plates or has been known to work on Grand Vitara for this intent.

3. What other spares should I think about carrying? Fan/Engine Belt, Extra Plugs, Bulbs, Oils? Anything…? Other things I should carry for sure like Jumper Cable, Toe Cable…etc?

4. TerraTrip, I am really lost here? I already have a Gramin 76CSx so which TerraTrip is recommended, if any or is the GPS enough ? I will also be getting myself the TSD meter, so please recommend one accordingly.

5. Am I allowed to remove the rear seats etc in the Stock category? Since there will be only two of us? I would prefer to get ‘em removed, and maybe install both the spare tyres inside with minimum amount of welding? So am allowed to do these changes and still be in the stock category? I am not sure if this is allowed for Stock class.

6. Headlights, are Auxiliary Headlights needed for the Raid, I understand they are for the DS, as they have night stages but there are none here, though the official route is not out I don’t think there has been on in the Raid, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions here?

7. And about high Risk medical insurance, I have no medical insurance yet, so which company do you guys recommend which is the most hassle free for getting High Risk Insurance.

Thanks a lot for all the help.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:33   #4
BHPian

My replies inline.. hope others join in. All the best!

Quote:
It would have been nice to meet you there and learn a lot from you, do try to make it

As far as my questions here, I hope someone responds to 'em here.
I am sorry if they are very specific to me, but I hope they help some other novice as well.

I would like to take part in this years’ Raid De Himalaya, the 14th Edition, in the SUV Stock Adventure category, in a Stock 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara.

I would like to know what all mods are required and recommended for such an Adventure, form the last years’ form it all seems quite basic for the Adventure, like First Aid Kit, Normal Seatbelts etc. But I would like help in preparing the car:

Get everything they ask for in the SR.

1. I am allowed to use after market Air Filters and Air Intake for Stock 4W category, so which one do you guys recommend, I have some idea that the finer dust up there will choke most air filters in no time hence, taking spare should be recommended, which ones do you guys suggest. I understand a CAI would be of no use as it might be lower at the bottom of the car and hence has issue with water splashes, so is there some Universal cone suited for the Grand Vitara, the stock replacement one really doesn’t seem right, it has a small intake in front and then loops back down and around, just doesn’t seem that good at all.

I would just go with the stock air filter (get a new one before the rally) and carry a spare. Check the filter at the end of every day to make sure it is clean and you should be fine.

2. Can you guys recommend me any workshop in or around Delhi who can fit Skid plates or has been known to work on Grand Vitara for this intent.

Sudev had recommended Motocraft in Noida.

3. What other spares should I think about carrying? Fan/Engine Belt, Extra Plugs, Bulbs, Oils? Anything…? Other things I should carry for sure like Jumper Cable, Toe Cable…etc?

I'd been wanting to make a list of breakable (plastic, rubber) spares which could strand the GV and which any MASS could replace and carry those with me when I travelled. But never got around to doing it. Why don't you make that list (talk to your SA) and share ?

4. TerraTrip, I am really lost here? I already have a Gramin 76CSx so which TerraTrip is recommended, if any or is the GPS enough ? I will also be getting myself the TSD meter, so please recommend one accordingly.

From my last year's experience, you don't need Terratrip or programmable calculators to do well (=win) in Raid. You do need a GPS though (76CSX is the best) since they give way points. But decide on what kind of equipment you need *after* you take part (preferably with the same person you are going to Raid with) in a smaller TSD event. Anyway, Raid or any big rally should be your 3rd or 4th event so that you are comfortable with the TSD format.

5. Am I allowed to remove the rear seats etc in the Stock category? Since there will be only two of us? I would prefer to get ‘em removed, and maybe install both the spare tyres inside with minimum amount of welding? So am allowed to do these changes and still be in the stock category? I am not sure if this is allowed for Stock class.

You can remove rear seats. I wouldn't weld anything to hold the 2nd spare wheel though. Just use good quality bungee nets to hold everything down. And leave 1st spare wheel on the tailgate.

6. Headlights, are Auxiliary Headlights needed for the Raid, I understand they are for the DS, as they have night stages but there are none here, though the official route is not out I don’t think there has been on in the Raid, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions here?

Don't get lights. Why go through the hassle of buying and installing when most likely they are going to break in the terrain? Night stages in Raid would just be too unsafe.

7. And about high Risk medical insurance, I have no medical insurance yet, so which company do you guys recommend which is the most hassle free for getting High Risk Insurance.

You need rally cover for the vehicle also. Most private insurance companies don't do that. Rally cover is an add on for the duration of the rally and has to be given by your current insurer. So figure out who you want to go with for the vehicle insurance (I moved from Royal Sundaram to Oriental last year), get the rally cover, and ask the same company for a personal accident insurance for atleast 2L (per crew member) with hospitalization. Both are cheap - rally cover is Rs. 30-40 per day, and PA is Rs. 2-3000 per year.

Also get A/T tyres with strong sidewalls.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Last edited by oldmonk : 2nd April 2012 at 13:36.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
My replies inline.. hope others join in. All the best!
Quote:

I'd been wanting to make a list of breakable (plastic, rubber) spares which could strand the GV and which any MASS could replace and carry those with me when I travelled. But never got around to doing it. Why don't you make that list (talk to your SA) and share ?
What all did you carry?

Quote:

From my last year's experience, you don't need Terratrip or programmable calculators to do well (=win) in Raid. You do need a GPS though (76CSX is the best) since they give way points. But decide on what kind of equipment you need *after* you take part (preferably with the same person you are going to Raid with) in a smaller TSD event. Anyway, Raid or any big rally should be your 3rd or 4th event so that you are comfortable with the TSD format.
Sir I am just going for the experience, winning is another matter have not even though of it, but wanna finish and learn as much as I/we can.

Quote:

You can remove rear seats. I wouldn't weld anything to hold the 2nd spare wheel though. Just use good quality bungee nets to hold everything down. And leave 1st spare wheel on the tailgate.
Yeah, much better thanks for the idea

Quote:
Also get A/T tyres with strong sidewalls.
Which ones did you use for the DS?
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:26   #6
BHPian

I really wanted to participate this year. But the dates are clashing with Round 5 of the FMSCI National Racing Championship 2012.

Raid Dates: 5th - 13th October.
JK NRC Round 5 Dates: 12th - 14th October.

Its sad to see dates clash like this for 2 of the biggest sporting events in the country. (Although they are 2 very different events)
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
What all did you carry?

Which ones did you use for the DS?
In DS, nothing other than the two fanbelts which were carried more in a lighter vein. GV had Yokohoma Geolandar tyres.

In Raid, had driven a new Safari. Service team might have had spares, but we chose not to take service because of the extra penalties involved. Tyres were Geolandar A/T, but had a sidewall puncture in one of the stages. Don't know if better tyres would have helped, the stage was fast, had bad terrain and I was foolishly trying to keep up.

Quote:
I am just going for the experience, winning is another matter have not even though of it, but wanna finish and learn as much as I/we can.
Understood, but try and do the learning part by doing 1 or 2 small TSDs before Raid..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
dates clash like this for 2 of the biggest sporting events in the country. (Although they are 2 very different events)
Sad!
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:24   #8
BHPian

"Can you guys recommend me any workshop in or around Delhi who can fit Skid plates or has been known to work on Grand Vitara for this intent."

I would recommend Motorcraft for any GV related work to be done in NCR , they are the ones who prepare all the works MS cars for the DS,RDH and dakshin dare events , in fact the engine of the 2011 Desert storm winning extreme XL7 was also rebuilt here last month .

You can PM me for the location / contact person details

Oh , just saw that old monk had replied to your query also , both of us are talking about the sam place , one of the best places in NCR to get any XL7/GV/gypsy work done

Last edited by wbd8779 : 2nd April 2012 at 21:29.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Motorcraft Sahibabad for any mods. The General Manager there - Rahul - knows what the rally stress on cars is and does a good job. For more extensive mods Raj Kapoor of Performance in Sector 2 Noida is good.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:16   #10
BHPian

Guys I have a couple of noobie doubts regarding the entry fees. Going through the entry fee document -

1) What is T1, T2, T4 in the xtreme cars and trucks?

2) What is a Team Entry? I presume Manufacturers team entry will be, well, entries supported by the manufacturers themselves. But what are Trade team entries and Club team entries? And are the team entry rates over and above the entry fees given on the first page? I mean, for a Club team entry - 5000 + the entry fee applicable according to the class right?

I was hoping to participate this year for the first time in a Swift Petrol, in the Stock Adventure category. Trying to read as much as I can on the TSD format. Hope there are some TSD rallies held before so I can get a idea of how it's done.

Regards,
SuperBee
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

I want to volunteer as a marshal/junior marshal and learn how and to do before participating in this.

Can anyone please guide me with how I can go about doing this ?

Sugata
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Trying to read as much as I can on the TSD format. Hope there are some TSD rallies held before so I can get a idea of how it's done.
Also http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-tsd-camp.html and http://www.facebook.com/groups/tsdrally/
oldmonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:43   #13
BHPian

Is it possible to run a 2wd in Xtreme T1 cars this year? Just curious because the entry fee document says "T1 cars and trucks"

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 3rd April 2012 at 20:44.
Old 29th August 2012, 14:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

Are the date and route details out yet?
I know dates are from 5th onwards, but what exactly are the route details with dates?
Old 29th August 2012, 14:39   #15
BHPian

TSD:
7th: Shimla - Manali
8th: Manali - Tabo
9th: Tabo - Tabo
10th: Tabo - Keylong
11th: Keylong - Leh
12th: Leh - Leh

http://www.raid-de-himalaya.com/2011...etrialregs.pdf

Haven't checked the extreme route, but must be similar..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks