Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2006, 16:34   #16
BHPian

Hey supreme Baleno,
Well we can catch up if you are there the next time.
Another baleno owner at your service too. I'm seriously trying to get thinner by the next race- Tall order, but trying none the less. Lets hope i drop a couple of Kilos!!
Part 3 to be posted soon
Old 17th April 2006, 17:54   #17
BHPian

Part 3
A real racers day- its got a little bit off everything for everyone.
action, suspense, tears!!

Come to the track nice and early and chat with EPYUPC, who is rather still and sore. the side of my legs hurt to where they get pushed against the frame while turning!

The breakage in the suspension has been repaired, and karun tells me to prevent that he has used a shorter bolt, so if i hit kerbs, there aint much guarantee off how long it will last, so to be clear of them kerbs at all times.

One thing i Gotta say here:
I have to thanks Karun, Vicky & team for all the support they give. Everytime something has given in the car, they have rushed to fix it, to ensure that the car goes out competitive and that you get to do what you came for- Race.
Also, even tho its clear who are the 2-3 fastest guys & the the obvious winners/cars to back, i see them putting time and effort into all the cars, including slower drivers like me. They have always taken the time to listen and attend to the problems and that is really impressive.

1st practice: I decide to push harder today- I do, but 4 laps in start getting a sound from the rear of the car turning left. I pit and it turns out some part of the suspension is hitting the the wheel and scoring the inside of the rim.
Some quick repairs are made, and clearances adjusted.
I go out again, but within a few laps, the sound is immediately and much worse and park in the garage for some more comprehensive repairs, so sit out at least half the practice.

2nd Practice: This goes off well with me settiing a good timing that should see me at the back of midfield as per the previous days results.after 6 laps i am called in order to preserve tyres

Qual: I got out i'm on out lap, Green car comes up i pull over to let him pass as he's on a hot one. I also wanna follow him to learn a few line and braking points. I'm hot on his tail down the straight and suddenly into the second corner he brakes very early, I dive down the inside, stomp on the brakes and complete the the rest of the lap well (it turns out that that will be my qual lap), as i'm on the nest one the dreaded sound returns and i add to it, spinning on the exit to the straight.
I pit and karun immediately gets a bunch of guys to do some real quick work
on it, then sends me out to shakedown and check, I run two laps and park it.
Work continues on the rear.
I have qualified 15th, an improvement on yesterday at least.However the qual lap time is 2.5 secs faster than yesterdays, os thats good. Unfortunately mostly everyone ahead in the midfield aslo decided to improve by a second or so!!!!

1st Race: The cars are in the paddock and leaving to form the grid. Its my turn, My car wont shift ito gear!! Any gear !! the clutch , it wont operate,Its all dead !! I wave my hands wildly looking for mechanice & karun. I am whelled out super quick to the pitlane where karun rips off the body and works happens at a furious pace. "Try it now can you feel the clutch" : " yes yes". "Start" I start, the car finds gear. I dunno if i can make it to the grid in time or i have to start from the pits. The marshals say there's still time.

GO GO GO- I'm off. I just make it. We set off for formation lap

The race starts,- I have a poor start and get passed by 2-3 cars,
But pass a couple on the into turns 1 & 2. I have recovered a few places and unlike yesterday where it was a bit lonely, i am in the pack dicing. This feels like total racing and its awesome. there are various moves by various people and its all great fun.However i keep getting passes down the straightevery other lap by someone. On Lap 4, the dreaded sound retuns. Dammit. I decide to bash on regardless. On abt lap 5 or 6 (Oh i forgot to say these are 8 lap races),i pull two great moves into the second and third corner to pass two guys (During the real race this time!!! ha ha) , and am thrilled. I then proceed to throw it away at the end of the loop by pushing to hard to stay ahead of these guys ( Coz everyone is always passing me down the straight) so that i dont get passed on the straight.I spin, but again manage keeping the car mostly on tarmac & the engine running, and the two i just passed fly by me.
The sound is getting louder and more frequent.
I push on to finish and toward the last lap start catching the the red and white car which i passed and another blue car. I'm surprised to see blue car, dAmn, i thought he was behind me.
The red and white car passes the blue car down the back straight and i go heel for leather, the red mist is down. I throw it all into the last corner madly accelerating , car shaking and sliding all over and make it down the inside, and pass him across the line with by half a cars length. YeeeeeHaaaaaaaaa
I pulled it off - I'm damn pumped.
Anticlimax ------- It turns out the guy was a lap down. good thing i didnt spin, diving down the inside!!
But there were no bloody blue flags.

Anyways i head back to the garage, I'm 10th in the first rae again. Considering the problems i've had all morining and in the race, I'm satistfied with the result. And even more satisfied that i was involved in a lot of Dicing and racing. That was the most thrilling.

Its back to some reapirs to the rear to fix this problem. the clearance is increased. I report a lot of oversteer, Karun gives rapid fire instructions to have the suspension stiffened.

Race 2: I've been having poor starts. This has to be remedied. I sit and thing abt it. Its partly my weight of course, But i have to do better. I decide on a solution.

the lights go out and i have a damn good start. the plan works, i pass 2 chaps straight off. maybe one into a corner. I dont know. Its all happening quick. I'm right there in the pack, in the thick of it. Its my best outing so far.
i am being chased by Sourav - Blue helmet, bengali kid. He passes me - no prizes for guessing- on the straight, but i'm doing something correct coz now they are passing me halfway down and not at the beginning.
I surprize him by passing him around the outside of c1. I'm getting better at this.He passes me down the staright again next lap, This is just not fair. I need some straightline speed, I pass him into c2 this time. ha ha.
And guess what he passes me on the straight again next lap. I bang the steering with on hand in frustration, This time the car i slip behind, but have a moment on c1, with the car sliding, i cololect it but saurabh has now got a gap. I concentrate on finishing.

Its the last Lap. Car No 6 passes me on the straight. Not again, i let him go, and someone spins on C2, he has to brake heavily and i use the opportunity to sit right behind him. at c3 we come across a highly confused slower car bang in the centre of the turn, Car 6 Chooses the outside which id the original racing line, but we have all slowed heavily, i dive down the inside between the kerb and the backmarker and voila am out in front. both of us are accellerating- i have 1/2 a car length on him, He turns in towards meto give me "Hool" i turn tio the left and am on the edge of the road now.I have the inside line now but no place to go further in. Suddenly he turns into me, and hits my sidepod with force with the front left wheel, **** hits the fan. His front wheel now climbs over my back wheel and car flips over, my car spins and both of us end up on the other side of the track. His car is turned turtle. He' hollering. I jump ouuta my car and rush there. Try and turn the car over
now he's busy shouting at me instead of working on getting out. i keep calm somehow. I'm trying to turn the car over. Holy crap, in my efffort , i've held the exhaust pipe and burth my hand through my gloves. Owww.
anyway, the marshals are on the scene now, i grab him by the shoulders and pull him out of the car. He's really livid, freaking out, but he's ok.

The safety car is on track, people are at the sene. We are both taken in to the medical centre and checked up.

Epilogue: A hearing is held by the stewards, each persons statement is taken.
each person is asked to show the positions of the car at the time of the track at the time of the incident.

I wont go into all the details as it was a private meeting.
the stewards then ask us to wait outside.
I am called back in. I'm am told that they have investigated and told , that am totally cleared of any blame, its not my fault in any way.
i feel relieved/ vinicated.
So that was a very evenful end.

In a sense i'm very disappointed coz that was the last lap i think i was in 6th position or so, and was definitely going be scoring points again.
Also my aim for the weeked was to be able to finish all four races and not hit anyone, and to fall short of that with just 2/3rd lap to go was really disappointing. Both of us would have had a points finish if he hadnt turned into me like that. Plus it was a shock seeing the car flip. Even though it was not my fault, i mean if the guy had got hurt,it would have been real bad.

So heres the weekend for you, i will add snippets and pictures as time goes by.

Hope this was fun reading

(i'm readying myself for a lot of comebacks on this one!!!!!)

Cheerio
Revvhead
Old 17th April 2006, 18:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Revvhead, are you coming down for the races on 29/30 April ? I plan to be there atleast on one of the days.
BTW, nice long report.
Old 17th April 2006, 18:13   #19
BHPian

Karun Chandok, last years champion Samitra Ghosh & Me

The race is on, i'm the second car. there are two behind, NOT passing me on the straight!!!

The father & me!! See the pictures really are better when he doesnt take them

The cars before all the action

Last edited by Revvhead : 17th April 2006 at 18:18.
Old 17th April 2006, 18:19   #20
BHPian

Yup. my plan is to be embarassingly slow all season!!!!
I will be ther and for the last round as well.
Will hopefully show some improvement too
Old 17th April 2006, 19:41   #21
BHPian

In the paddock, waiting to go out for qual

Old 17th April 2006, 19:44   #22
BHPian

hey Hrisheet,

Looks like you had fun. Sorry we couldn't catch up on the weekend. Interesting report. Will defineately catch up the next time you are here.
Old 17th April 2006, 20:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Great going for a first timer Revvhead.

Too bad you had lots of mechanical issues. Its hard enough to be on the learning curve and be in a new environment.

Did you get brand new tires as part of the package?...........and about those kerbs....what can I say......need to fit sump guards and skid plates like rally cars.

Oh BTW.......what were your best laptimes and what did the polesitter do?
Old 17th April 2006, 23:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Revvhead, are you coming down for the races on 29/30 April ? I plan to be there atleast on one of the days.
BTW, nice long report.

Hey Supreme baleno,

I visited your garage now and I saw ur cars pic at the track. Believe me, my bike was parked about 2 sheds from your cars. I saw your car, when I left. I knew it was a black baleno. But wasnt sure if it was yours. I know now. Just missed.

Will meet up on 29th hopefully. Will be at Speed run at bangalore next week.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 17th April 2006 at 23:19.
Old 17th April 2006, 23:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have some good videos of the race. Is it possible to zip videos and sent it to anyone who wants them? All of them are between 5 - 20MB
Old 17th April 2006, 23:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Anyone noticed the AMARON FISSMI cars?? I think they were the best looking in the lot. I met the guy from AMARON marketing, who was there. They were sponsoring 2 cars. Amaron has some plans for motorsports as its the only sport they sponsor currently.

Old 18th April 2006, 00:02   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Thats a brilliant drive for ur 1st ever race in a FISSME revvhead .. Btw what times did u clock in qualies and what was the fastest lap that kini managed ??
Old 18th April 2006, 01:25   #28
BHPian

Hiya.
Well the best lap i clocked was a 1:19.5 on sunday with the old tyres during second practice. So i guess there's improvement due to happen. Plan to push harder the next round on new tyres

In qulaies first day i clocked a 1:22.5 or so and the second day i clocked 1:20.2

The pole sitter was Ajay Kini in all 4 races , he had times of 1:14.2 i think, but was regularly in the 1:14's and 15's if i'm not mistaken.
I always say hi and wish hime before the races coz i never see him once that starts!!! the guy has blitzed the field. Saran Vikram is also really fast
the second Q had the top three really close then a buch of 8 and then the field spread.
Most of the midfiel started in around 1:18's on sat, but had a group of 7 or so cars in 1:17's on Sunday.

Thanks for all the complements on the drive guys. Feels good to hear that!!
Personally, i was dead pleased to have (till the 3rd race anyway) achieved 3 finishes, considering the number of spins i had in my truncated practice.
Yet am honestly disappointed that i'm not in the midfield times, but am planning to push hard to get there.

Dieting of some sort has already started. I'm now having water with my run in stead of Coke!!!

On the other hand, have realised that in a sense compared to most of the field , i was a complete rookie, with just a bit of karting experience , and believe me, the Karting avaliable in Mumbai aint much of a challenge/ test in spped/ skill terms.

Hopefully there will be better times to come and i can push to get there.

Mpower: re the tyres- You get brand new tyres on Saturday as part of the package. Its your job to preserve them best as you can for sundays running as well. So i guess the main idea is to avoid spins and lockups, to help you in that cause.

Btw realised a lot of typos in all my articles!! Oops!
Old 18th April 2006, 01:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
Nice report Revv..
(ps.. shut up and stop boasting about nursing a broken car home.. as requested by you!)
Yo! While i was expecting that to come from someone, at least let me say it a few more times before telling me to shut it
Old 18th April 2006, 07:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
One more thing. was late on the edit of the first post,
But thanks also to N Aditya for Chennai info.
You were right, the Auto's totally rip you off.
glad u had fun... all the best for more races....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks