Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2006, 23:23   #1
BHPian

Naren Kumar offered to drive in 2006 ERC

just read this in autocar India, Naren Kumar has been offered to drive in the FIA European Rally Championship round in 2006 from round 2 onwards, since round 1 is already over last weekend, he has got this offer from Fiath Abarth works team..

he has also got an offer to drive for the 2007 Production World Rally Championship for the same team.. the car is the Fiat Grand Punto..

now here is the catch.. he has to raise 1 million euros/Rs. 5.3 crore by way of sponsorship for the 2006 ERC and another 1.5 million euros/Rs. 7.95 crore for the 2007 PWRC..

not an easy task.. well i hope he gets the money though.. I would love to see an Indian in International Rallying, and an Indian in PWRC would be amazing..

well best of luck to him to get the sponsors..
Old 26th April 2006, 07:51   #2
BANNED

Its great to see that he has the offer, but the reality is something else.. If Narain has had problems coming up with the cash to drive in formula 1, what's the reality of Naren Kumar coming up with that kind of cash?
Wish him luck though!
Old 26th April 2006, 19:23   #3
BHPian

man thats too good he is a very good driver never panics at any point of time very calm during the stages,but it will be very though driving a 4wd car is not a easy thing it needs a lot of practise he should start of from erc and the pwrc he can do it if does the motorsports in india will get a big boost comon narain!!!!!!!!
Old 26th April 2006, 19:32   #4
BHPian

i was like wow, but then man thats a lotta cash to raise!
Lets hope some sort of drive comes through.
Go Naren
Old 26th April 2006, 19:58   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
i was like wow, but then man thats a lotta cash to raise!
Lets hope some sort of drive comes through.
Go Naren
Hey, Even I had a similar reaction to this post when I read it earlier this morning ... and the first thing that came to my head was ur signature !!! I didnt post at that time as had to rush out in a hurry ...

Anyways if he does raise that kind of money for rallying it may give a huge impetus to the local rallying scene as well !! But on a slightly sour note .. that kind of money if offered to INRC can make it a totally different sport -- 5 crore must not be spent in total by all the entrants of the INRC in one season ...

Cheers
Old 26th April 2006, 23:19   #6
BHPian

yeah thats a lot of money to generate..

Naren has already bought a Subaru Imprezza, he had planned to do some of the APRC rounds this season.. so if he doesnt get into erc or pwrc.. he can do some rounds in the aprc this season.. the erc would be a better option.. thats a works team and a new developing car.. hope he can generate enough money for one of the championships atleast..
Old 27th April 2006, 03:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think Naren should first do a complete APRC championship to build his confidence. He's done a few rounds with the MRF EVOs and had trouble adapting.

It would be best if he can be a team-mate to Karamjit Singh and do a full season with the Proton Perts. (or maybe the FWD GpNs) Karamjit is already sponsored by JK tyre.

Problem with raising money is that rallying is not as popular as F1 and his PR machine is nowhere close to being as effective as NK's.
Old 28th April 2006, 02:39   #8
BHPian

karamjit singh is not doing the APRC this season, well he didnt do it last season either.. so far he is in the chinese rally championship, which is also very competitive, lot of competitors there and its also cheaper..
Old 28th April 2006, 13:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papps
yeah thats a lot of money to generate..

Naren has already bought a Subaru Imprezza, he had planned to do some of the APRC rounds this season.. so if he doesnt get into erc or pwrc.. he can do some rounds in the aprc this season.. the erc would be a better option.. thats a works team and a new developing car.. hope he can generate enough money for one of the championships atleast..
Naren bought an evo not an imprezza.
Amazing car...

The local paper today said he will surely take part in the 3rd round of the ERC
Old 28th April 2006, 15:40   #10
BHPian

Bah What a costly sport....
Old 29th April 2006, 11:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyupc
Naren bought an evo not an imprezza.
Amazing car...

The local paper today said he will surely take part in the 3rd round of the ERC
the autocar india said he bought the imprezza in which cody crocker had done the 2004 Japan Rally.

and yeah i guess its too late to enter for the 2nd round, the entries closed y'day..

Last edited by papps : 29th April 2006 at 11:48.
Old 2nd May 2006, 22:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papps
the autocar india said he bought the imprezza in which cody crocker had done the 2004 Japan Rally.

and yeah i guess its too late to enter for the 2nd round, the entries closed y'day..
Dunno... I went for a spin in his evo about a month back. He had just bought it. Amazing car! But it was not a "rally" car...

Saw it last week in Leela's garage adding rollcage, seats etc.

Maybe he's bought an impreza recently as well...though i doubt it. An evo is much easier for a privateer to get parts and prepare to rally spec. Will try to find out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks