Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013

6:30 am on a lazy Sunday in Bandra.

Wake up.
Zzzzz.
Wake up menn. Time to roll menn bugger.
Huh…wha…?!?!

Lazily an eye opened.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_065254.jpg

Blind Man Rally 2013 menn. I told you before only about this. What menn bugger.

Groans and moans. You’ve got to be kidding me….

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_065306.jpg

Take III – My third participation in the Car Rally for the Blind, 2013.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_065824.jpg

Disclaimer: As I now see, the Note II doesn't have a noteworthy camera. I apologize, so no complaining okay

Note: For a history lesson on the event, or for the forgetful types, previous editions are reported as below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-feb-09-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ry-2011-a.html

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th March 2013 at 21:11.
FlyingSpur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 18:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013

This year’s BMR was going to be a bit of a push and shove. I was required to work through the weekend, and confirmed my participation rather late. Still, my past experience with the event ensured that I managed to make it there, complete the event and get back to work.

Missed the pairing and trial run on Saturday – I usually mess it up and get lost anyway – but sent a message through F50 to my navigator that I will DEFINITELY be coming on Sunday. She was still a bit worried; In the past, her drive has not shown up for the event, and she called a couple of times to confirm. I assured her that I wouldn’t miss it for anything!

I was a bit excited reading that Manson was planning to drive his Verna, and I promptly signed up to take the 954RR instead. However, for some strange practical reasons, I was advised to bring an actual car instead. Shook my head disbelievingly; I don’t understand these sensible types, sometimes So, on with Sunday’s happenings, then…

First stop: F50’s place as usual. I was waiting downstairs for the sun to rise in Gujarat when I noticed the yellow tag on the rear windshield. Fabulous news indeed, and now we know how that turned out. Congratulations and best wishes, my friend, that was a great way to start the morning !!

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_070545.jpg

F50bhai wakes up, destroys some thepla-jalebi-faafda and regally walks down the red carpet to his car. Some Tashan on display here. Ever confident as usual – and for good reason, since I have tagged along as passenger in his car earlier for the same event, and am fully aware of his vast and unbelievable knowledge of the streets of Mumbai.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_070832-large.jpg

But life is a race. And there is no scope for defeat. So he pulls over and decides to call bhai to do some setting and ensure that he wins. Govinda govinda govinda govinda goooovinnndaaaaaa……

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_071714.jpg

Just kidding. He was, indeed, calling to find the whereabouts of our beloved Chhota Kasab as the Yeti fondly called him, the one and only, the Diplet, the Dippy himself. Who, by the way, had a bit of a surprise for us…

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_072214.jpg

We met at the Dadar TT (circle? Triangle?), where my navigator Preeti was patiently waiting for us along with her friend Shamrao – Dippy’s navigator for the day. A brisk drive across empty 7:00 am Mumbai…

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_072717.jpg

….and we were sipping on some chai at the grounds behind NAB, the starting point of the rally. Seen here are Shamrao and Preeti.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-20130203_073649-large.jpg

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th March 2013 at 01:22.
FlyingSpur is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 20:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

As always, there’s a flurry of activity on the pitch. The good ol' folk at the RTI are always busy making things easier for navigators and drivers. Hats off to them.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-1.jpg

And ill-prepared participants (err..me) start stickering their rides.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-3.jpg

I never really enjoyed this activity, and even after three years these stickers cause me and my car’s paint some grief. Recently joined Automaton – participating for the first time – rolls his eyes, swoops in and shows me how it’s duhnnnn.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-4.jpg

J-Lo wastes no time and starts taking some sexy pictures of his (car’s) tush.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-2.jpg

Ready to roll…

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-5.jpg

As with every year, it’s a drive for a cause.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-6.jpg

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-7.jpg

Ouch and sigh.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-14.jpg

Adi poses with his navigator…

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-8.jpg

..as does Dipster. With Shamrao and another friend.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-9.jpg

…who happens to be from the media, covering this event. Seen here interviewing Dip’s navigator.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-10.jpg

So I decide to take some picharrs as well.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-13.jpg

Completing the full house in Dippy’s car is a familiar face. Look… it’s TheOne® !!

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-11.jpg

A nice tribute to our beloved ol’ friend. We miss you much, buddy.

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-12.jpg

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th March 2013 at 10:27.
FlyingSpur is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 20:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tejas’ i10 was spotted but not the big guy himself.

Cool, calm and confident. Stronger than ever.

Aditya (in the Lancer) simply cannot control his excitement and is ready for flag-off…

…as can be seen from his extremely competitive driving while lining up itself. He tries to cut in and overtake me to follow Dippy. GTO (in green) hands him an infraction on the spot.

Dippy raring to go. TheOne® is delighted and makes some last minute phone calls.

The cars are all lined up now. A car is handed supplies just before the starting line. Every minute sees another car off.

The starting line. Set the odo to zero or you will have one crazy adventure on this trip

Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013-8.jpg
FlyingSpur is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 21:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

We are handed the first Braille sheet and time sheet at the starting point. Well, obviously we are. I get out of the park and immediately take a wrong turn. Preeti is probably thinking Oh God no, I got an idiot this time. Actually, we got along quite well and she was quite chatty. And she can read Braille, and how! She was telling me about her consecutive 1st position at the national Braille reading competition for the last two years. I was starting to feel the pressure – my navigator was going for the WIN. And nothing less.

Driving through morning Mumbai is always a breeze. One notices a lot of curious eyes throwing the stickered rides a look or two.

Actually, the rally went along really well. A couple of confusing turns here and there, but hey, that’s where the fun really is. The checkpoints can be really tricky and hidden sometimes.

Unfortunately, at the 4th checkpoint, I was told that I missed the last one. I stared in disbelief, my navigator was not happy. The route was totally correct and there was no way I could have missed a CP. Maybe next time I should just be a navigator and read Braille, if I can’t see a checkpoint

By the way, did I mention I was supposed to have a co-passenger? The lazy chap ditched me at the last moment, and then woke up a couple of hours later. He decided to go for a drive to town and catch up with us anyway. Here he is, the nut.

For the first time ever – Dippy is lost. Felt super good to haul him out of his situation for a change, instead of the other way around !!

A not so eventful finish to the NAB at Worli. Here are some of us.
L-R: FlyingSpur, Dippy, Automaton, GTO, GTO’s navigator, Aditya, F50, F50’s friend.

Yet another year, yet another great event for a good cause. And once again, a good turnout by Team-BHP. I believe Manson showed up late as usual, and GTO conveniently switched his 80-something starting number for Manson’s 40-something. Looking forward to seeing a larger turnout of BHPians next year for this super fun event. Keep up the good work, Round Table India. Signing off.
FlyingSpur is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 11:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from Assembly Line.

Thanks for sharing
Old 30th March 2013, 09:11   #7
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Report and Pics: Blind Man Car Rally, 2013

FlyingSpur, never realized that you have a great sense of humour and a flair for witty writing. Brilliant stuff ..especially the below one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
...Lazily an eye opened.
Blind Man Rally 2013 menn. I told you before only about this. What menn bugger.
Quote:
... and I promptly signed up to take the 954RR instead. However, for some strange practical reasons, I was advised to bring an actual car instead. Shook my head disbelievingly; I don’t understand these sensible types, sometimes So, on with Sunday’s happenings, then…

...F50bhai wakes up, destroys some thepla-jalebi-faafda and regally walks down the red carpet to his car.

...But life is a race. And there is no scope for defeat. So he pulls over and decides to call bhai to do some setting and ensure that he wins. Govinda govinda govinda govinda goooovinnndaaaaaa……

...calling to find the whereabouts of our beloved Chhota Kasab as the Yeti fondly called him,

Quote:

...And ill-prepared participants (err..me) start stickering their rides.

...Recently joined Automaton – participating for the first time – rolls his eyes, swoops in and shows me how it’s duhnnnn.

... J-Lo wastes no time and starts taking some sexy pictures of his (car’s) tush.

Quote:
…as can be seen from his extremely competitive driving while lining up itself. He tries to cut in and overtake me to follow Dippy. GTO (in green) hands him an infraction on the spot.
Quote:
...I get out of the park and immediately take a wrong turn. Preeti is probably thinking Oh God no, I got an idiot this time.

...I was starting to feel the pressure – my navigator was going for the WIN. And nothing less.

... Maybe next time I should just be a navigator and read Braille, if I can’t see a checkpoint

... and GTO conveniently switched his 80-something starting number for Manson’s 40-something. ....
Loved it, made my day! Thanks!
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 09:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks SDP, I just manage with whatever random pics that I walk away with after the event. You may then want to read previous years reports as well, links are in the first post. Glad you enjoyed the read.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 12:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey "Flyingspur" thanks for the pictures & the write up.

I regret missing this one :(

PS - How long was the rally & by what time you guys were done ?

Last edited by karan561 : 30th March 2013 at 12:51.
Old 30th March 2013, 14:35   #10
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Went through the older 2 reports as well and even those are beautiful.

Would love to accompany one of you regulars or participate myself next time.
Old 30th March 2013, 15:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
How long was the rally & by what time you guys were done ?
Ah I forgot to mention that this year the organizers shortened the route quite a bit. It was totally perfect, just sticking to town and central mumbai. Maybe 1.5 hours IIRC. 2 hours tops. Everyone goes home nice and early and spends time with their families etc. Perfect move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Went through the older 2 reports as well and even those are beautiful.

Would love to accompany one of you regulars or participate myself next time.
Sure thing. Definitely participate in next years BMR. It's super fun and for a good cause as well.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 02:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

HILLARIOUS report man!!!

I was literally on the floor at parts!

Unfortunately I was in Mahableshwar for a wedding during this year's BMR, but looking forward to the next one.

Quote:
Ah I forgot to mention that this year the organizers shortened the route quite a bit.
Good move I say. Its usually a pretty long drive, especially for those who get lost and end up going around in circles!

cya
R
Old 1st April 2013, 12:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, did I mention I was supposed to have a co-passenger? The lazy chap ditched me at the last moment, and then woke up a couple of hours later. He decided to go for a drive to town and catch up with us anyway. Here he is, the nut.

Attachment 1066343

Ditched you. I did that didnt i ?
Great report FS, as always. High on the entertainment quotient. Especially loved the superhero like status given to F50. lol !

Cant describe how bad i feel about missing out on this year's event ,more so after looking at the pics and the fun you guys had.
Really loved it in 2011.Aiming to be there next year.
Will hopefully wake up on time
Old 1st April 2013, 14:08   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb Report, missed out on this years event. Will for sure be there next year. Loved the humorous bits a lot.

I guess next year it will again be a bigger route in the interest of change.

The navigators are quite disappointed when we goof up or take too much time. For all practical purposes they have done the job by reading out correctly and we mess it all up at times or drive at the wrong speed.
Old 1st April 2013, 15:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice. Looks like you had a blast.

Enjoyed the pics and the report.

Could you post a close-up of the Live the Yeti Life sticker? That's a nice tribute to Sam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks