Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 23:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wheel War III - Kolkata Drag Race - 1st June 2013

Drag Racing is back in town.

Its being organized by the same people "Kolkata On Wheels" who organized the previous legal drag Wheel War II.

2 categories - Stock and Modified.

Classes under each category:
Upto 1000 cc
1001 to 1150 cc
1151 to 1400 cc
1401 to 1600 cc
1601 to 2000 cc
Open class

Enrty fee Rs 1000 and Rs 500 each for every extra class/category.
+ Kolkata on Wheels magazine annual subscription @ Rs 480 in case you are a non-subscriber

To register call 'Kolkata on WHEELS' 9830370371

Anyone from here taking part?
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel War III - Kolkata Drag Race - 1st June 2013-308635_10200899304542642_362957134_n.jpg  

cityvic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 09:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wheel War III - Kolkata Drag Race - 1st June 2013

So the drag is going to take part today at Rajarhat,on a stretch somewhere near Tata Medical and Unitech.

Fellow friends/tbhpians participating:
1.Nakul Jaidka - Porsche 911 Carrera
2.Rishi Kumar - Toyota Celica
3.Rishi Raj Lohia - BMW 330D Convertible
4.Dharambir Singh - BMW 320D Sportline
5.Vandan Agarwal - Toyota Corolla Altis
6.Debdeep Rakshit - Honda City Vtec
7.Sumitro Chakravarty - Maruti Esteem
8.Rohit Sachdev - Maruti Esteem
9.Hero Sen - Hyundai i20

Wishing everyone all the best,hope the best wins.
Sadly I won't be able to go and witness the event as I would be flying to Bangalore for an enterance exam today.

More updates will come up as soon as the races start.
Also expected is a R8 V10 to race along with the Porsche 911 as an exhibition race.

Last edited by cityvic : 1st June 2013 at 09:31.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
More updates will come up as soon as the races start.
Hey buddy,
Do you happen to know who won in each class, with their 1/4 mile times? Don't see it published on the magazine's website either.

Last edited by kryptonite : 2nd June 2013 at 11:12.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Hey buddy,
Do you happen to know who won in each class, with their 1/4 mile times? Don't see it published on the magazine's website either.
The race was called off midway due to a "power failure". But, even with the lights in place, I doubt they would have been able to complete the event. The race took place on a main road, which wasn't even blocked completely (Blocking it off entirely is not really a possibility).

Personally, I feel the choice of location was flawed right from the beginning. Water puddles, gravel on half the "track", locals, and enthusiastic spectators scrambling all over the track, dogs taking a stroll.

I was disappointed from the word go. BMSC is one of the better organizers of TSD rallies in Kolkata. Really don't understand what went wrong with them and Kolkata on Wheels! It was a matter of time before a disaster happened
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:06   #5
BHPian

It was sheer luck that the Lights malfunctioned. The road where the event was held is a regularly used road with 2 Bus routes passing through it, as well as a major route for trucks entering Kolkata from Sunderban District. So some more time and they would have been Dragging with Heavily overloaded trucks, and Dumpers from some nearby projects. I know this because I am a regular visitor to that road. There are many empty unused stretches in Newtown where the event could have been arranged without inconveniencing the local people.

P.S. Come to think of it, the row of lights that "Malfunctioned", has been malfunctioning from more than 15 days.
Old 9th June 2013, 16:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the late updates,was a bit stuck with my college applications.

Last saturday's drag was held on the main road of Rajarhat and not drag lane where it was held earlier.
This time they use to stop the traffic,have one race,stop the race,reopen the traffic.Management was total haywire.The track was full of mud,water and stones.
A Ferrari 458 Italia visited the place for 10mins.

The races had to be cancelled midway between 1400cc as the street lights blanked out and there was no source of light by the management.This happened by 8pm and most of the participants left the track and went back home.
The organizers would be having a continuation of the drag on 16th morning from the place it stopped at the same venue.

Most of the T-Bhpians could not run as their races were after the lights blanked out.

Last edited by cityvic : 9th June 2013 at 16:30.
Old 20th July 2013, 12:06   #7
BHPian

Nice to see Drags happening in my hometown... Could be better organized though with proper Race lights & cordoned of stretches... from what i'm seeing, looks like it was a very make shift arrangement... But kudos for the initiative

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks