Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 14:21   #1
BHPian

Indian F1 Grand Prix faces the axe in 2014

The Indian Grand Prix is likely to be dropped from next year's Formula One calendar as Russia prepares for its debut, commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone has told Reuters.

Now that will be the big shame for NCR and India. And the reason being again "Political".
Old 29th July 2013, 14:45   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Indian F1 Grand Prix faces the axe in 2014

Guys,

Got to read this now on Yahoo Live sometime back.

Quote:
The Indian Grand Prix is likely to be
dropped from next year's Formula One calendar as Russia prepares for its
debut, commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said.
"Is India going to happen next year? Probably not," he said at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Asked what the problem was with the race at Greater Noida, near
New Delhi, the 82-year-old British billionaire replied: "Very
political."
If this is true, it will be a big set back for F1 fans in India.
Old 29th July 2013, 15:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian F1 Grand Prix faces the axe in 2014

This is really unfortunate for the fans, for the business & for the country as a whole. The race last year proved that we could handle such events successfully & it appears that the state government is trying to undo even good things the predecessor could manage.... & I was planning to be amongst those lacs who could say they have attended a race day at the track .
Old 29th July 2013, 15:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

It's all about the money. India, despite all the hype has terrible support infrastructure and a limited fan-base, and the government refuses to get involved. Can't blame them for not investing directly in the sport, but they NEED to do something about the infrastructure.

Russia is investing serious money into their F1 project (and 3 Russian firms have just bought a stake in the Sauber F1 team too), so Bernie is going where the money is. He always does.

India (and another current track) will probably make way for the Austrian & Russian GPs next year, as Bernie insists on a 20-event calendar.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th July 2013 at 15:49.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys,...
I heard something similar but it was for taxation reasons. Something about India not recognising F1 as a sport and no tax exemption given as a result

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
India (and another current track) will probably make way for the Austrian & Russian GPs next year, as Bernie insists on a 20-event calendar.
I don't think it's so much Bernie insisting on a 20 event calender but the teams and the costs involved.
Bernie will make more money for every additional race, in regions of tens of millions of pounds per race, The costs involved in a race weekend are quite a bit and at the end of the year the money given out to the teams by constructors standings remains the same. I for one would love a 24 race calender with bernie compensating the teams for the same, wishful thinking...
Old 29th July 2013, 18:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I heard something similar but it was for taxation reasons. Something about India not recognising F1 as a sport and no tax exemption given as a result

I don't think it's so much Bernie insisting on a 20 event calender but the teams and the costs involved.
Bernie will make more money for every additional race, in regions of tens of millions of pounds per race, The costs involved in a race weekend are quite a bit and at the end of the year the money given out to the teams by constructors standings remains the same. I for one would love a 24 race calender with bernie compensating the teams for the same, wishful thinking...
FOM pays for the teams' logistics (upto a certain weight allowance), and the end-of-season break is more important than ever with in-season testing banned. 20 races is a kind of sweet-spot number. Any more and the teams will protest, any less and we'll have unbearable breaks between racs

Bernie compensating teams? Hell has a better chance of freezing over
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 19:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Bernie compensating teams? Hell has a better chance of freezing over
Amen!
I wasn't aware that FOManagement paid for travel costs. Is the complaint from the teams simply because of the burden?
Well perhaps they could try and and move the Calendar optimised for distance, India after China for example.
I really desire an F1 calendar akin to that of NASCAR I believe they have something ridiculously delicious like 30+ races don't they? Albeit domestic.
Old 29th July 2013, 19:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Amen!
I wasn't aware that FOManagement paid for travel costs. Is the complaint from the teams simply because of the burden?
Well perhaps they could try and and move the Calendar optimised for distance, India after China for example.
I really desire an F1 calendar akin to that of NASCAR I believe they have something ridiculously delicious like 30+ races don't they? Albeit domestic.
As far as I'm aware, FOM pays for air-freight upto a certain tonnage. Teams pay for anything over and above that. The backmarkers on shoe-string budgets won't be able to compete otherwise, as air-freight is frightfully expensive.

Teams also complain because one, the constant travel takes a toll and two, they need all the time in the factory they can get, now that real-world testing is severely restricted.

As for the calendar tweaks, there are economic reasons behind how it is right now. For example, it would make sense logistically to have Singapore & Malaysia GP back-to-back, but will be a financial disaster as the coverage, fan outreach and hence the profitability would be concentrated into a couple of weeks, instead of two separate events a few months apart.

It's all about the money, unfortunately.

Weather also plays a part. India and Texas can't be hosted in the summers, Canada is a no-go close to autumn/winter. You get the gist.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th July 2013 at 19:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 21:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

I read the news and now am planning to go to BIC this year at any cost. Need to witness atleast one F1 race at the circuit. Have been to Sepang before but unfortunately for some local race and not F1.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not to offend anyone, but as everyone knows politics has become a necessary evil. F1 is an expensive sport. Everyone involved must be paid handsomely. If there aren't any favours being done to someone somewhere F1 will most likely suffer. Somewhat like IPL. Everyone involved have to be kept happy. If they're not, sorry fanboys, no sports for you this year!

It's pathetic.

Note from Mod: Thread Closed. Please continue the discussion in the existing thread here

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2013 at 12:56. Reason: Adding link to existing thread
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks