Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2013, 16:57   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Weekend Drift with Maruti Suzuki Autocross 2013 - November 16 & 17, Mumbai

Got this as a mailer from Autocar India promotions.

Date : 16 & 17 November 2013

Corporate registration : marutisuzuki.corporate@maruti.co.in

Individual registration : http://www.marutisuzukimotorsport.com/autocross.aspx

Weekend Drift with Maruti Suzuki Autocross 2013 - November 16 & 17, Mumbai-motocrossemailer_01.jpg
Weekend Drift with Maruti Suzuki Autocross 2013 - November 16 & 17, Mumbai-motocrossemailer_02.jpg
Weekend Drift with Maruti Suzuki Autocross 2013 - November 16 & 17, Mumbai-motocrossemailer_03.jpg
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 17:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Weekend Drift with Maruti Suzuki Autocross 2013 - November 16 & 17, Mumbai

This was supposed to be conducted along with the Autocar Performance Show back in October. Was postponed I believe due to track not being ready.

This time the location is being shown as outside IMAX at Wadala. Does anyone know if there is a track around that area ? Or will there be a track laid out by cones in a big parking lot ?

Traditionally used to be on a Dirt Track in Mumbai(BKC) and on Tarmac in Delhi.

Anyways, I'll be definitely visiting to have a look, maybe participating. Any other BHPians coming? Scope for a meet?
Old 8th November 2013, 19:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have already registered for Sunday 17th Nov, 2013. Being a novice, I am just going for the experience of an Autocross and to challenge my skills.

@SuperBee

It is more likely to be in a huge parking lot with the track laid out by cones since there is no 'specific' track around unless they make it happen on barren land which are a plenty in that area.
Old 9th November 2013, 11:55   #4
BHPian

If some sort of accident happens during the event then would the regular comprehensive insurance cover it? Or would they just say that motorsports are not covered in the policy?
StrangeWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 20:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
If some sort of accident happens during the event then would the regular comprehensive insurance cover it? Or would they just say that motorsports are not covered in the policy?
A very valid point. IMO the insurance company will not take responsibility for the coverage of any damage caused to the vehicle during the event.

Having said that the only thing that can go wrong is for the car to topple as a whole which does require some lunatic driving. If the track is indeed on an open ground with cones laid then there are very less chances for substantial damage, if any.
Old 9th November 2013, 21:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
A very valid point. IMO the insurance company will not take responsibility for the coverage of any damage caused to the vehicle during the event.

Having said that the only thing that can go wrong is for the car to topple as a whole which does require some lunatic driving. If the track is indeed on an open ground with cones laid then there are very less chances for substantial damage, if any.
I went through the rules and regulations pdf on the autocross website. It says regular insurance won't cover any type of damage and they recommend taking special rally cover for the event (not compulsory though)
Old 10th November 2013, 19:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Regular insurance stipulates that the car not be used in sporting events such as motocross. So be assured your regular insurance cover will not cover any damages to the car in such events. Either get a separate cover for the event or be ready to foot the bill from your pocket.

It would be a good idea for the organizers of such events to tie up with an insurance company and include the premium in the registration fees. Many people are unaware that the regular insurance policy does not cover such events, and in the unfortunate event of the vehicle suffering any damage, there may be bad blood.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 20:41   #8
DWC
BHPian

It's a good idea to tie up with an insurance agency and include the cost of insurance cover in the entry fee.
With regard to bad blood because people are unaware that their standard cover does not include accidents caused due to motor sport, I'm going to have to side with the insurer on this one. It's clearly mentioned in the policy document that cover isn't provided for any accidents that occur due to any rash or negligent driving or Motorsport. It's the duty of the insured to go through all clauses before signing on the dotted line.
Old 11th November 2013, 23:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

So is this event happening?? Am asking this since I have registered almost a week ago but did not receive any email nor telephonic communication from the event representatives.

Has anyone got any further information or update about the same??

I sincerely hope such events witness maximum participation so that there are many more newer formats to keep us - average auto enthusiasts, entertained.
Old 12th November 2013, 14:27   #10
BHPian

I am planning to test my skills at the event. Guys do we really need to register in advance or can we just walk into the event?
Old 15th November 2013, 19:24   #11
BHPian

Anyone coming for the 8am slot tomorrow? Is it okay if we register now

Also if we don't have our own helmets then will the organisers provide helmets maybe for a small fee?

EDIT - We need to pay 500 + 300(for fmsci license) right?

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 15th November 2013 at 19:32.
Old 15th November 2013, 19:33   #12

You can even register at the venue. THough fees may be slightly higher for last minute registrations.

Yes, Organizers will have a couple of spare helmets for you to don in case you don't have your own.

Cheers
Old 15th November 2013, 22:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

I got an sms saying tomorrow is the qualifying round at 10am even though I had earlier registered for Sunday, 17th Nov. Will not be able to make it since I already have prior engagements tomorrow. I guess the final round will be on Sunday. Will surely go to witness the event if nothing else on Sunday though.
Old 16th November 2013, 13:44   #14
BHPian

Done with my round 1 and it was great! Messed up in a turn during the first lap but the second lap was amazing.
Now waiting for round 2.
Also met SuperBee
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 16:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Done with my round 1 and it was great! Messed up in a turn during the first lap but the second lap was amazing.
Now waiting for round 2.
Also met SuperBee
A little more detailed report would be appreciated and pictures/ videos are always welcome. I am going for the first round tomorrow @ 9am.

What is the track like - dirt/ tarmac? What was your time and your average speed? How many laps did each driver get? Was there a trial run?

Sorry for burdening you with so many questions but as you see I'm very excited for tomorrow.

Last edited by S2!!! : 16th November 2013 at 16:30.

Most Viewed