Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 12:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Vento Cup for 2015! Replaces the Polo Cup

A big shout out to BHPian goingout for sharing this news with us.

VW Vento Cup for 2015! Replaces the Polo Cup-vento-cup.jpg

In 2010, Volkswagen introduced India to the Polo Cup, a part of the JK Tyre National Racing Championship. Back then, it was a first of its kind circuit racing championship where young drivers battle against each other in identical race-bred Volkswagen Polos.

Now, Volkswagen Motorsport has made a few changes for the 2015 season by discontinuing the Polo R Cup and introducing the Vento Cup. Although the format remains similar to the Polo R Cup, drivers will now race Volkswagen Vento race cars. Based on the production version of the Vento sedan, these cars will be powered by 1.4 litre TSI engines producing 180 PS @ 6,200 rpm of max power (power-to-weight ratio of over 150 PS/ton) and 250 Nm of torque between 2,000-4,500 rpm; mated to a 6-speed dual clutch semi-automatic unit. The car will also be equipped with all safety features prescribed by the FIA such as roll-cage, racing seat, 6-point harness, fire extinguisher, etc.

Registrations for the Vento cup are now open. For more details click here. Drivers will be selected through an intensive selection program, after which, they would be further trained and prepared to compete in the races.

Some related threads and experiences of the Polo R Cup shared by BHPians:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ng-driver.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...olo-r-cup.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...trol-cars.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...olo-r-cup.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...possible-dream

Last edited by S2!!! : 19th January 2015 at 12:21.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 12:52   #2
BHPian

re: VW Vento Cup for 2015! Replaces the Polo Cup

I dont get it, you go through a selection process and yet if selected you pay anything between Rs 8 - 12 lakhs, to compete for a 50k prize??!!
Old 19th January 2015, 13:17   #3
BHPian

re: VW Vento Cup for 2015! Replaces the Polo Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I dont get it, you go through a selection process and yet if selected you pay anything between Rs 8 - 12 lakhs, to compete for a 50k prize??!!
In the hope that you win consistently and are noticed and you can move up the racing ladder and eventually start winning in the upper levels ( read anything upto F1) and then get sponsored by companies and sign advertising contracts and then...make some money

Jokes apart, there are some drivers in F1 who have paid for their seats ( Donation seats anyone ).

Pastor Maldonado paid 45m pounds for a williams seat in 2012.
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 16:39   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Vento Cup for 2015! Replaces the Polo Cup

I appreciate VW's continuous support of this racing series. However, I'm not convinced by the move of Polo -> Vento.

For one, the Polo is a hotter product in the market, outselling its sedan sibling 3:1. Then, the 'Polo Cup' is now a well known brand. After investing so much in it, why to change the brand? Lastly, all things being the same, the Polo will be a superior handler.

Nevertheless, an excellent series for budding race drivers .
Old 19th January 2015, 17:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I appreciate VW's continuous support of this racing series. However, I'm not convinced by the move of Polo -> Vento.

For one, the Polo is a hotter product in the market, outselling its sedan sibling 3:1. Then, the 'Polo Cup' is now a well known brand. After investing so much in it, why to change the brand? Lastly, all things being the same, the Polo will be a superior handler.

Nevertheless, an excellent series for budding race drivers .
Maybe VW is hoping the Vento Cup will help up the sales of the Vento like how the Polo Cup helped the Polo.
Old 25th February 2015, 08:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
hothatchaway, what exactly do you mean by paying up 8-12L to compete?

I enrolled myself for the selection process @ Down Town Racing, Kharadi, Pune
where the organizer mail simply says INR 5,000 for the Selection Process & INR 50,000 as Security Deposit.

I knew there would be costs involved but almost upto the cost of the car itself, didn't expect that.
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

The Volkswagen Vento Cup 2015, which replaces the Polo R Cup, will be kicked off in July this year. The company has released the list of drivers participating in the series.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Name:  Vento cup.png
Views: 1410
Size:  18.6 KB
Old 4th August 2015, 16:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

The Volkswagen Vento Cup 2015 will be flagged off on 7th August. The first round of the championship will be held at the Kari Motor Speedway near Coimbatore from August 7 to August 9, 2015.

Join the discussion in this thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks