Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2015, 19:27   #1
BANNED

Raid de Himalaya - 2015

Greetings fellow BHPians,

as we all know, Raid de Himalaya, the highest rally raid in the world attracts a lot of media coverage and people across the globe.

The raid is one of the most intense things i can think of. So, let's start discussing the 2015 Edition (tba) of the raid.

aim of the thread:
- To help newbies get a taste of the event.
- It would be good for the 'raid experienced' People to share their stories.
- Those who wish to know what it is all about.
- People like me who have plans to participate this year.

Lets share the experience of past raids - any experience, be it as a participant or team official or even as raid official.

p.s.

I will be participating this year.

If all goes as per plans, i will be the first person ever to represent Customs & Central Excise department, Min. Of Finance.

Official entry route is a monsterous task but not impossible as i have spoken with the President of All India Superintendent's Union of our department. He asked me to send an official request to the DGHRD with a copy marked to the Union.

Hope they help get me permission.

Suggestions and tips are welcome.

vehicle: will be participating using either pulsar 200 NS or mahindra thar crde.
sukhi29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Raid de Himalaya - 2015

Pulsar or Thar.....that is chalk and cheese.

Go 2 wheels. In 4 wheel class in a Thar you will only be allowed to participate in Adventure class as a first timer. And in any case I do not think Thar is up to the task of being a competitive vehicle.
sudev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:17   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

Go 2 wheels.
Even i was thinking of the same. I have taken print-outs of the rules from the website. 50+ page document it is.
Sponsored category will cost around 50,000 for the Bike. Additionally, i will have to invest on getting the rally license, New Tyres (rough terrain), New Helmet (motocorss type), Riding Jacket and waterproof shoes.
Don't know how much financial support will i get from my Office. I am yet to write a detailed letter in this regard.
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:02   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please go through the following threads. They're first-hand accounts:

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:55   #5
BHPian

If this is your first rally, I would highly receommend that you do not attempt it. Try to put in a couple of local rallies first, or even (out of time now) try the desert storm. The Raid is not a first time rally for anyone!
killjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:26   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
If this is your first rally, I would highly receommend that you do not attempt it.
okay, a lot of people (half) are advising me against going for the raid. Rest half asking me to go and have fun.
My aim with respect to the raid is:
- Having fun
- sprinkle some sense of adventure in rather boring department (my office),
- Completing at least two legs, no risking health and/or life while being hell bent on completing the raid.
- Getting to know new people who are like minded
- Bragging rights that i rode in the highest rally in the world!

yes i am late, my friend has just left delhi for desert storm (he is participating). He was here half an hour back to collect tent and mattress for the rally. He asked me to come to rajasthan on thar and have a look at the desert storm.

But i cant afford to take days off from work. Since i will need my Commissioner's support for Raid, i need to work hard and smart for next 3-4 Months :(
sukhi29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 07:29   #7
BHPian

You can get most of the above by going on a drive/ride to Leh/Khardung La. My 2 cents, don't do raid without prior experience. There are too many things you have not considered/overlooked.
killjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 18:00   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
You can get most of the above by going on a drive/ride to Leh/Khardung La. My 2 cents, don't do raid without prior experience. There are too many things you have not considered/overlooked.
Okay, now i will seriously consider NOT PARTICIPATING. My younger brother who is a touring enthusiast asked me to take part in SJOBA Rally (next month).
Maybe it will help me gain understanding what a rally is all about?
Agree?
Old 26th February 2015, 14:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

SJOBA is a better option as it is only two day event and runs in foot hills - not that they are any less dangerous. Participate in few smaller events / races before taking plunge n to big one is good advice. Desert Storm leg 1 had 16 finishers out of 40+ starters!! Leg 2 is running today.
Old 17th March 2015, 14:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Pulsar or Thar.....that is chalk and cheese.

Go 2 wheels. In 4 wheel class in a Thar you will only be allowed to participate in Adventure class as a first timer. And in any case I do not think Thar is up to the task of being a competitive vehicle.
For a first timer, do you think the adventure class itself is too ambitious, especially for somebody who has not had any rally experience whatsoever?

The idea of participating in Raid De Himalaya (adventure class) has been bubbling in my head the past few months, mainly for the adventure. But I have no rally/motorsport experience whatsoever.

~My vehicle would be a Skoda Yeti
Old 19th March 2015, 07:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Adventure category is best for first timers. No experience is not a problem if you want to just finish the first Raid. You can get better prepared by joining one of "Race Camp" programs that I keep conducting (MODS : Shameless plug??) to know more about TSD rallies.

Yeti would be wonderful vehicle for Raid. At best a bit more of height addition in form of spacers or one size plus rims and tyres will do wonders.
Old 28th September 2015, 14:01   #12
BHPian

Anyone from here coming for the 2015 Raid De Himalaya ?

I will be there at the rally.

Cheers
Old 12th October 2015, 09:06   #13
BHPian

Why is the social media and Internet coverage so poor that the first days results/standings are not available anywhere on the internet?
Thats not the right way to cover and publicise an event is it?
I have friends in the two-wheeler category and its so funny that we have to wait for them to inform us about the days outcome.

Raid de Himalaya - 2015-rdh-day1.jpg

Last edited by Hammer & Anvil : 12th October 2015 at 09:11.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 18:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Why is the social media and Internet coverage so poor that the first days results/standings are not available anywhere on the internet?
Thats not the right way to cover and publicise an event is it?
I have friends in the two-wheeler category and its so funny that we have to wait for them to inform us about the days outcome.

Attachment 1425982
Thankyou for the info Sir.
I was searching for the info online but couldnt find it anywhere.
Do you have information about two wheelers in the Xtreme category as well, please share that too in case you have it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks