Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 22:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buddh International - Wedding Banquets & Lawns!

With no F1 in sight something more than corporate rent outs and individual track days was needed to keep the track relevant. What better way than to cash in on the huge wedding industry.
Old 23rd July 2015, 00:26   #17
BHPian

It happens only in India (this song goes right with this news). I hope a get an invite this wedding season for Buddh circuit. Probably, will get to see the baraat racing towards the venue or maybe there won't be dancing in the baraat, just cars revving.

Jokes apart, Jaypee, probably doesn't have any other option but to cash in this wedding season and try to make some money to keep the circuit going. Weddings in India is serious business.

Last edited by embee : 23rd July 2015 at 00:29.
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:05   #18

A really sad moment for the Indian Racing scene :( Saddening to see one of the most advanced F1 circuit in the world to be used for occasions like these.
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

So the backdrops will be fast machines? And the guests can sit in the stadium and have a good view of the couple getting married? Maybe the couple will get married on the podium. The procession and guests will arrive from the pit lane and the dancing will continue till the finish line. Laps anyone?

Love the sport and the BIC for what it is, but this is just ridiculous.

Its happens only in India, after all!
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:34   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally don't see any reason not too - apart from generating revenue, I think it would be an ideal place for auto enthusiasts to get hitched.
Can just imagine the pheras
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 12:32   #21
BHPian

"Its happens only in India".......very true. A shameful confession by Jaypee group themselves. This is downright appalling. What's next - Birthday celebrations of corrupt politicians?
Old 24th July 2015, 12:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

How many of those now crying shame have actually spent money on a track-day or a drive experience at the circuit? There used to be a hue and cry that India has no proper circuit to further motorsports - how many have furthered their motorsport ambitions or at least indulged their motoring side occasionally by going to this track and spending some money so that it remains relevant and open?

The promotors are businessmen - they don't exist to make television motorsports enthusiasts feel good by keeping an unused track open for charity. Or to make people here feel happy and proud.

IMHO this move shows that we're more interested in baraats and "Hum aapke hai kaun" movies than any real and active interest in motorsports. Our idea of motorsport activity is buying that Ferrari cap or professing to be an 'expert' based on television viewings of a sport that is losing its relevance by the day. Or passing comments on internet forums.

I'm not sure of BIC has "arrive and drive" schemes, but if they do please take your vehicle out on track to test its limits and yours. It is an eye-opening experience. But if you prefer to pretend to race on the roads, then this sort of thing is bound to happen.
Steeroid is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 13:25   #23
BHPian

@Steeroid: I so wanted to rent a Polo R around the track, but the lack of trackday insurance killed that ambition.

Basically, it could be an unlimited liability scenario in case anything goes wrong. This could be a consideration with many people.

BTW: I agree with your definition of a 'motorsport enthusiast' in India!

I also think the developers got wool pulled over their eyes by Bernie in building a track for a dying sport

Last edited by vipul_singh : 24th July 2015 at 13:29.
Old 24th July 2015, 13:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Just wait till one of the tent-wallahs hammers pegs (the tent-retaining variety, not the silly drinks one) and destroys the asphalt on the start/finish straight
You said it!

However, TV only enthusiasts or not, there is a fine line between distinguishing and discriminating. Neither of them help.

That said, I hope they take all precautions necessary.
Old 24th July 2015, 13:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
It happens only in India (this song goes right with this news). I hope a get an invite this wedding season for Buddh circuit. Probably, will get to see the baraat racing towards the venue or maybe there won't be dancing in the baraat, just cars revving.

Jokes apart, Jaypee, probably doesn't have any other option but to cash in this wedding season and try to make some money to keep the circuit going. Weddings in India is serious business.
Please check the Silverstone website. There are options for weddings and other events.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 14:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Please check the Silverstone website. There are options for weddings and other events.
On the side lines, they do also continue to host a F1 race ever since 1987 and are currently been contracted till 2026.
Bubby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 15:12   #27
BHPian

It's really surprising that some of the Bhpians actually believed that the weddings will take place ON THE TRACK. Come on guys, Jaypee isn't that stupid. The wedding package may include a tour of the track for the baraatis but to think of tents and marquees being erected on the track itself is a bit far fetched.

A similar example that I can cite is of the Delhi Flying Club which is housed in the Safdarjung Airport complex in south Delhi. It has a hangar for small planes, an aircraft workshop and a runway. It also has a huge lawn which can be booked for parties and marriages. So, If it were to host a marriage, the invitation would say wedding @ Delhi Flying Club but it doesn't mean that the pandaals would be set up on the runway.

P.S. The Delhi Flying Club was established in 1928. The airport functioned until 2001, however in January 2002, due to security considerations in the post 9/11 scenario, the government closed the airport for flying activities. Today it is mostly used for VVIP helicopter rides to the Indira Gandhi International Airport including the President and the PM.

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited by captain.torque : 24th July 2015 at 15:14.
captain.torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 15:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
It's really surprising that some of the Bhpians actually believed that the weddings will take place ON THE TRACK......
Most of the tent and revelry jokes were tongue-in-cheek I think, at least mine was.

Kidding aside, everyone is just lamenting how a perfectly good race-track can't make any real money out of its primary facility (the track) and has to depend on renting out the surrounding landscape to get something out of it. Other facilities do it too like you mention, but most of them do it in addition to their primary purpose (barring the ones shut down or re-purposed for security reasons).

I don't think Jaypee are stupid, they knew plenty well the F1 scene was transitional. Motor racing doesn't have enough of a grassroots base in India to sustain F1 long-term, and if one wants to do something about it, the way to go building it is NOT top-first. Jaypee saw an opportunity to make money, took it, made more than they put into it (at least I think so) and are now just renting the place out to whoever will take it for whatever they'll pay for it.

Jaypee had no interest in building up or supporting the Indian motor racing scene, they just wanted (and probably made) their pound of flesh while the craze lasted.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th July 2015 at 15:46.
Old 24th July 2015, 15:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Cant fathom how people can have a problem with a wedding there!
With no assistance from the Govt on hosting an F1 race what else they expected to do, but try and minimize their losses.

Last edited by Hatari : 24th July 2015 at 16:00.
Old 24th July 2015, 19:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Jaypee saw an opportunity to make money, took it, made more than they put into it (at least I think so) and are now just renting the place out to whoever will take it for whatever they'll pay for it.

Jaypee had no interest in building up or supporting the Indian motor racing scene, they just wanted (and probably made) their pound of flesh while the craze lasted.
Yes you may be right. The reason? Them and others in the Noida region have obtained land mostly at dirt cheap prices through Govt acquisition of farm land. So if the biggest investment (land) didn't cost them much, then high chances they would have recovered their investment by now.

Most Viewed