Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2018, 08:33   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Explained! TSD (Time-Speed-Distance) Rallying

As newer gadgets and apps evolve to make life easier for the navigator organisers have to come up with ways to keep them on their toes.

For instance with the app RallyGDP keeping close to ideal time is very easy. At start of the rally you have to quickly feed in speed chart and then the phone GPS keeps track of the distance you have travelled and keeps computing in real time your differential - in seconds - to the ideal time. So the crew now only have to ensure that they are on the right track. Yes RallyFDP does not know the route but it also allows you to correct the odo if you do loose track and loop back. You can correct the odo to match road book once you are back on track.

SO what can the organisers do to create confusion?
1. Switch speed charts enroute.
2. Give unachievable speeds - though maximum average of 45kmph does not sound scary its daunting enough to catch up on a bad track.
3. Switch road books in enroute?
4. Introduce self TC's to increase pressure.

Will post a few approaches and how to tackle them effectively. Let the cat and mouse game continue.
Old 18th April 2019, 13:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @sudev for this amazing thread. Chanced upon this thread and now glued. Please continue to post the tidbits of TSD rallying. They are as much fun to read and learn as much to participate!
Old 19th April 2019, 10:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Pleasure is all mine.

Varying the number of time controls is another trick that is gaining popularity. Yes that does leave some additional marshals at hand with the organising team so generally not preferred.

Please look at this presentation that I recently used at an event. This also has an embedded video of how to use GPS Trip meter app from Android Market in real life navigation.

https://docs.google.com/presentation...0552f3On_JzV2k

Virtual Time Controls is also being discussed where the time is automatically noted by an app or marshal on the ground so that you do not become aware when you cross such a Time Control.

Last edited by sudev : 19th April 2019 at 10:45.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 17:29   #34
BHPian

Wonderful thread Sudev. I had participated in a charitable TSD event once and the navigators assigned to us were blind students and the tulip road book given was in braille. The driver was allowed to bring along an extra person as a navigator/interpreter.

The braille book had colour-less font so nobody else could read it.

But we didn't complete on time as I attended it thinking it was a treasure hunt and took my Thar which had upsized tyres making the odo inaccuracy much much worse and it became very hard to account for the distance covered after adjusting it to match the 5-6% speedo error due to the tyre upsize in the second half of the rally.
Old 26th April 2019, 17:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

Please look at this presentation that I recently used at an event. This also has an embedded video of how to use GPS Trip meter app from Android Market in real life navigation.
For some reason the video didn't play. Could you please upload it.
Old 25th June 2019, 16:43   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for late reply. Tried it and it works.

Or send me a direct message and will share

Last edited by SDP : 26th June 2019 at 10:50. Reason: Merging back to back posts
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks